Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New owner; strange issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 03:36 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New owner; strange issues

Primary concern; not passing inspection.
* Evaporation System, Not Ready
* Secondary Air System, Not ready

Bluedriver ODBII reader say both are "Not Applicable". I've driven over 1000 miles, I am hoping this is within the Drive Cycle.

ODBII live data is limited to speed, RPM, throttle position and Calculated Average Load. My '99 e46 shows per and post O2 sensor data, so I am confused why the '04 Disco doesn't. Thoughts? Is it possible that I have a computer or wiring issue? Any links to schematics to chase that down?

Strange things;
1. When starting the car, the front or rear sunroof would open. Never both, no pattern to which one. Pulled the fuse - Don't mind, would open them anyway.
2. When cold, it starts up perfectly. When warm, either the motor when warm or on warmer days, there is a ritual.
a. Turn the key three times. The first two the motor over just fine, but it doesn't start. On the 3rd try, it just starts right up.
b. Infrequently, nothing happens. All the lights and bells come on, but nothing. Take the key out, put it back in. It may or may not work the first time, but it will eventually start like nothing ever happened. It then runs and drives just fine, starts normally.

3rd Land rover, first gasoline motor... the gas mileage lol but, my previous ones were more utilitarian. Rubber floor mats, no headliners, manual windows and locks. So, can I;
1. Remove the carpet on a DII, replace with rubber mats? Where could I get them?
2. Remove and replace the top with the moon roofs for a slick top? Expensive?

Thank you,
Thomas

Old 02-28-2018, 04:30 PM
TReK
Received 483 Likes on 406 Posts

D2 top is not bolt on, you need a sawzall or cutting torch, lol.
Never seen rubber floor liners for them.
WeatherTech floor liners for front, rear, and cargo will cover almost ever bit of carpet.
As for the electrical gremlin, sounds like a bad ground or bad ecu. I would have to get out the service manual and start going point to point checking all electrical connections.

Old 02-28-2018, 05:16 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Can you post the code numbers you're getting when you scan?

Given the issues starting when warm and the SAS code you say you have, have you checked the Cold Air Injection solenoid?

Instead of rubber mats, why not bedliner? mike

The following users liked this post:
Thomas Miller (02-28-2018)
Old 02-28-2018, 07:04 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by mbrown3039
Can you post the code numbers you're getting when you scan?

Given the issues starting when warm and the SAS code you say you have, have you checked the Cold Air Injection solenoid?

Instead of rubber mats, why not bedliner? mike
I think it was P1412 & P1415.

I am ok with bare metal and rubber euro mats, but bed liner would be fine.

Last two were Australian TD5 & 5 Speeds... '94 Disco I and a '96 D110, they were bullet proof. This thing is being a bit annoying.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Check the main line from the SAI pump (black looking thing up against the passenger side bulkhead under the hood) those hoses can pop off or get brittle with age/heat and cause no air to enter the SAI valves.

Sunroof wise you “probably” have leaky sunroof drains and the ECU for the sunroofs is shorting out/grounding out. Common issue & normally fixed by sealing the front sunroof tray/drains and either fixing a ground to the sunroof ECU or replacing the ECU itself.

The 3 key cycle start sounds like a weak fuel pump that isn’t priming the fuel rail at startup due to a weak pump or it’s getting heatsoaked, or you have a leaky injector that is taking the pressure out of the fuel rail. SAI D2 fuel pumps are 50.00 on ebay and it takes maybe 30min to replace.

Thomas Miller (03-01-2018)
Old 02-28-2018, 08:28 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomas Miller
I think it was P1412 & P1415.

I am ok with bare metal and rubber euro mats, but bed liner would be fine.

Last two were Australian TD5 & 5 Speeds... '94 Disco I and a '96 D110, they were bullet proof. This thing is being a bit annoying.
My 1412 code was resolved by replacing the CAI solenoid. Mike

Thomas Miller (03-01-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 03:10 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Best4x4
Check the main line from the SAI pump (black looking thing up against the passenger side bulkhead under the hood) those hoses can pop off or get brittle with age/heat and cause no air to enter the SAI valves.

Sunroof wise you “probably” have leaky sunroof drains and the ECU for the sunroofs is shorting out/grounding out. Common issue & normally fixed by sealing the front sunroof tray/drains and either fixing a ground to the sunroof ECU or replacing the ECU itself.

The 3 key cycle start sounds like a weak fuel pump that isn’t priming the fuel rail at startup due to a weak pump or it’s getting heatsoaked, or you have a leaky injector that is taking the pressure out of the fuel rail. SAI D2 fuel pumps are 50.00 on ebay and it takes maybe 30min to replace.
Thank you.

Sunroof - There was no evidence of a leak when I bought it, but when I put the sun visor down, water poured out on my leg from the mirror on the first turn. I'll have a look at the ECU / Ground. I'd rather just remove weight at the top of the vehicle and reduce the roll center.

Codes - Ironically, CEL fired up today. P1414 & P1417. I'll go tinker with the lines...

Edit / Update] Lines to and from the pump, and from the little silver canister things to the manifolds seem newer and are on with hose clamps. On the drivers side, the small diameter line from the Air Pump was not fully on. SAI pump is either loud, or I have an exhaust leak on the passenger side.

Fun fact - had the 90k service done, vehicle now leaks from everywhere lol

Last edited by Thomas Miller; 03-01-2018 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

ya, when i did some fluid flushes like the T-case, the T-case leaked, my ACE stopped working, but the front and rear diffs did ok. Transmission was successful as well. but that was a year and a half ago, trucks doing ok.

Old 03-02-2018, 12:06 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Had the same sunroof gremlins . One or both would slightly open when starting or turning off the D2. Pulled a donor sunroof ecu from the salvage yard for around $5. No problems for the last year.

Old 03-08-2018, 06:49 AM
4wd Low

ohhhh, joy... 1 week later

1. Threw P1414 & 1417 - played around with the hoses, etc., one was not quite all the way on. Cleared codes.
2. Wouldn't start the other day. Flatbed home, started right up. Connection to the starter solenoid (brown wire w/ orange tracer), replaced. Working fine.
3. First nor-easter we had, sunroof leaked with the high winds. Now seems to leak in the rain.
4. Last night, nor-easter 2, started up just fine but threw P1412 & 1415.

I've done what any reasonable person would do in this situation, and bought OME HD 2" springs and nitro shocks, OME steering dampener, Rovers North serviceable front prop shaft, HD drag bar and track bar and 16x8 black vented steel wheels. I also ought a 1970 Honda CL175 K4 to get around this summer as a back up.

Quick Reply: New owner; strange issues