Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New owner, some questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 11:14 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner, some questions

Bought a 2003 Discovery S a month ago. So far I love it, traded in my '96 BMW 328is coupe for it.

First some pics:

Now for the questions.

On my climate control, there are two switches to turn the temp up and down. On the driver's side switch, the backlight is burned out. Can I replace this bulb, and if so, is it easy to open the unit, and does anyone know the bulb part number?

Next, I have had it out on some moderate trails, and noticed when I get a tire to lift off, I hear a pump type sound kick on. Is this the traction control doing it's thing, or something more sinister?

Finally, I am looking to gain a little more clearance. I already have a trail rig, in my 1996 Cherokee, so I am not really willing to spend a ton on a lift. I am looking to remove the rear sway bar, add disconnects to the front, and then order this spacer lift from ebay: clicky clicky

Anyone have any experience with it? Will I need to worry about brake line legnths or anything else? I know it is basic, and not of the greatest quality, however I am just looking for a little more height. Many of thrails here in Nevada can turn quickly.

Any help is appreciated.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:39 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: New owner, some questions

You can buy replacement light bulbs from a dealer. I would suggest you buy a Rave CD off of E-Bay, this will have a shop manual that will make your life easier.
Yes that noise was your traction control kicking in, since you have an 03 and can't use lockers I would make sure to keep you brake fluid clean, not burned, cause the traction control will heat up the fluid if the ETC is being used alot off the road.
I high suggest you not use spacers to raise your truck. If you need a lift consider going to OME coils and shocks since spacer blocks and tired suspension just make the Disco top heavy and it will lean alot. What ever you do, do not go to disconnects unless you are using a good set oh HD springs or it will be a little scary on or off the road, the originial factory suspension is way to weak to handle the sway bars being disconnected.
Mike

Old 05-11-2007, 07:50 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New owner, some questions

I probably won't lift it then. I have too much invested in my Jeep to start another project. The Rover is going to see limited trail use, mainly hauling me and my guns to my shooting spot.

My Jeep, for reference: