Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new push rods when doing head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 08:13 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new push rods when doing head gasket?

I only ask because I managed to confuse the order that I pulled them off. I've read that you want to put the push rods back in the same location that they came from as they each make unique contact with the rocker arms. Is it best that I order a new set of 16 (70 bucks)?

Or can I just clean up the old ones and disregard putting them in their original home?

Old 06-03-2018, 08:20 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Interesting question. The reason to keep them in order is to compensate for any difference in length due to wear. So you could measure them and see if there is actually any difference.

If not, no sweat, if so order new ones and shims, just in case.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:24 PM
Drifting

and do I need to lap my valves or is that more of a "well while you have the heads off" type of thing. This Rover ran and sounded flawless before I disassembled it (well minus coolant flowing out the firewall side of the engine from the blown HG)

Old 06-03-2018, 08:31 PM
Three Wheeling

I just finished my fist HG job and didn't touch the valves because mine, like yours, was running great before disassembly. I did manage to tag my lifter rods though. I may just go ahead and spend the $70 in rods. It surely wouldn't be cool if you put it back together only to have a tick that wasn't there before hand. I greased both ends of the rods before I reinstalled. Helps them stay in place better while installing.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:32 PM
Three Wheeling

Oh but what I was saying about the valves. Mine runs great just like before other than small fuel leak I believe is coming from the fuel rail/injectors..

Old 06-03-2018, 08:34 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jerichards93
Oh but what I was saying about the valves. Mine runs great just like before other than small fuel leak I believe is coming from the fuel rail/injectors..
a new fuel leak? That must be somewhat frustrating. How was it torquing those 2 headbolts back by the firewall. Did you do bolts or studs?

Old 06-03-2018, 10:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

You can test your fuel rails and injectors as one unit while connecting/disconnecting 2 wires from a 9 volt battery to 1 injector while spraying carb cleaner into the fuel rail input. Repeat for the other 7 injectors. An injector stuck open will leak or spray with the battery disconnected. Replace that injector.

...an injector that doesnt spray when connected to 9 volts should also be replaced or rebuilt.

likwise, you can test your valves by spraying carb cleaner into the exhaust and intake air ports, then looking for leaks out of the valves. Lap any that leak. Retest. Lap any that leak, etc.

Old 06-04-2018, 02:38 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Rover push rods are all the same. You dont need new ones. Clean them up, look for straightness. Inspect the ends.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:55 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

As mentioned, inspect for straightness ,equal length, and equal wear on the ends. If all good, then all is good to go. If not, check back for further steps.

Old 06-04-2018, 03:14 PM
TReK
Received 483 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by 09dewaed

a new fuel leak? That must be somewhat frustrating. How was it torquing those 2 headbolts back by the firewall. Did you do bolts or studs?
Those 2 headbolts are easiest reached with a shallow/standard depth swivel socket, 16mm, and you'll want 1/2" drive to break them loose.
If you add a u-joint to a regular socket, the 2 pieces combined are too tall, and the bend contacts the firewall.
You can buy a socket for around $10 on ebay if you don't have one, and it'll save alot of headache and arm power.

Quick Reply: new push rods when doing head gasket?