Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New shoes General Grabber AT2

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 01:17 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New shoes General Grabber AT2

Was going to get the Nitto Terra Grapplers, but nobody had them on hand and I wanted them now. Waaaahhh!

The road noise is definitely noticeable at higher speeds, but not as much as you'd expect... can't wait to try a few trails. I came from some worn out Nexen Roadian HP's, so these are a huge step up in terms of wheeling.

In case anyone wants to know what the 255/55/18 look like - here are some pics. If anyone wants to know what they cost... don't ask.

Now, let's get her dirty!

-Anthony

Old 10-10-2012, 01:25 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

"So how much they cost ya?" Lol
Those are dam good looking tires! What is their rating for snow and ice? Or are they purely for off-road adventures? And you might want to temporary remove those running boards before attempting any Roving on the trails.....*

*and if he's ever looking to sell them, I'd be interested!

Old 10-10-2012, 01:28 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice looking shoes. I just installed the Cooper AT3 which is not a full ATR tire but pretty darn close. No road noise on my new shoes which is the reason I bought the and about $400.00 cheaper than the General.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I was originally going to get those but went with BFG's for the price. I want to get a set of steel wheels soon so hopefully AT2 prices are better on 16's. Those look sick btw.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:47 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoRover007
I was originally going to get those but went with BFG's for the price. I want to get a set of steel wheels soon so hopefully AT2 prices are better on 16's. Those look sick btw.

I think the pictures of your 18's with the 275's look tight and is why I am going to stick with my 18's. I am getting the 2 inch lift next week. Is their anything you don't like about your 18's with the 275's?

Old 10-10-2012, 01:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My tire **** friends said stay clear away from the General brand... but they only really sold car tires so maybe thier truck tires are different.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle

PS. I still think white is the best color for a D2... but clean those wheels man! haha

Old 10-10-2012, 02:39 PM
Rock Crawling

When I bought my Disco, the PO just purchased 5 of those tires, had less than 100 miles on them. I've had no issues as of yet. As far as how they are on ice/snow, they do have mounts for studs so I'm sure they can be very good at handling the conditions, give me a few days until blizzard conditions up here (yay for VT) and I'll let you know how mine fare on snow!

Old 10-10-2012, 02:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Grumpo
I think the pictures of your 18's with the 275's look tight and is why I am going to stick with my 18's. I am getting the 2 inch lift next week. Is their anything you don't like about your 18's with the 275's?
Oh no not at all. I love my tires. They still look brand new and have a long tread life. My ride quality is much better. It's just the price that is the concern. Tires are much much cheaper for 16's.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
"So how much they cost ya?" Lol
Those are dam good looking tires! What is their rating for snow and ice? Or are they purely for off-road adventures? And you might want to temporary remove those running boards before attempting any Roving on the trails.....*
HAHA! Hadn't thought about that... last thing on my mind. Thanks for the heads up. And, yeah, I'll give ya a heads up if I'm looking to part with them permanently.

Originally Posted by 0304Disco
Very nice looking shoes. I just installed the Cooper AT3 which is not a full ATR tire but pretty darn close. No road noise on my new shoes which is the reason I bought the and about $400.00 cheaper than the General.
I looked at those after having read about them on Consumer Reports. Nice. But I figured this thing is aerodynamically "loud" already, what's a little extra noise? (Famous last words.)

Originally Posted by DiscoRover007
Anything is better priced on 16's. I should have listened. $$$ Maybe next time.

Originally Posted by grandkodiak
My tire **** friends said stay clear away from the General brand... but they only really sold car tires so maybe thier truck tires are different.

PS. I still think white is the best color for a D2... but clean those wheels man! haha
Yeah, I read bad things about the first Grabber AT's, but just the opposite about the AT2's. For the most part, everything was pretty favorable from online forums/owners and reviews. So, hopefully, they've made some improvement in more than just wear.

They dirtied up the wheels at the install shop. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

-Anthony

Quick Reply: New shoes General Grabber AT2