Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to site! '02 Discovery trans/transfer case issue? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 07:46 PM
csb
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to site! '02 Discovery trans/transfer case issue? Help!

Hi guys. Here are the specs: 2002 Discovery SE 82K actual. Problem: when shifted into R or D, the entire vehicle shakes (as though something which should be rotating freely w/i the transmission/transfer case is bound up). As soon as it is shifted into N or P, it is smooth as butter. I bought the truck as a mechanical repairable. It was described as having "a transfer case issue". The front driveshaft is actually MIA. One last thing...when shifted into R or D, there is absolutely no "clunk" as would normally be felt when engaging a forward or reverse gear....it simply begins shaking. The car is immobile and the engine sounds fantastic. Any ideas/suggestions/sources for help??? I'm very mechanically inclined, yet a newbie to the Land Rover world. Thanks!

Last edited by csb; 07-21-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:14 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

How much did you pay for the truck? I hope no more than $1500 becasue it needs a new transmission and front driveshaft.
Go crawl under the truck and you will see a big hole in the side of the transmission.
www.roverlandparts.com
www.autosportsunlimited.com
This is a common problem if the owner is not proactive, the u-joints on the front driveshaft are non servicable, when they fail, around 80-90,000 miles, the driveshaft will fly apart and bust a hole in the side of the transmission.
If you are a informed owner you know to have greasable u-joints installed before this happens.
Keep us posted with your progress.

Last edited by Spike555; 07-21-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:39 PM
csb
Overlanding

UPDATE: I crawled under the truck a few minutes ago. The transmission has no holes or other external damage. It LOOKS mint. I see now why the front driveshaft is missing...mostly missing, anyway. The rear u-joint clearly broke while the vehicle was being driven. This caused the driveshaft to bounce around a bit and even put a golf-ball-sized dent in the floor of the truck...directly above the rear u-joint. The transfer case also is externally undamaged. So...there it is. What I don't know is this: would the transmission still "clunk" into gear if the transfer case were dead? Regarding the first response to my post: I paid more than $1500.00 for the truck, and I am 100% fine with that. I can buy a 30K mile transfer case for $250.00, a front driveshaft for $125.00 and, if need-be, a 40K transmission for $350.00. When properly repaired, and given the truck's outstanding condition, it is easily worth $7000.00-$7500.00. I will perform all labor myself. I am just trying to see if others have experienced these symptoms and what the outcome was. Thanks to everyone for any help I've received, or will receive! Steve.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:16 PM
csb
Overlanding

What's up? All these enthusiasts and only one response? C'mon, guys...take a Land Rover newbie under your wing(s) .

Old 07-22-2009, 05:33 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Good good good, I am glad that there is no hole in the transmission.
But you cna see how this happens and 9 times out of 10 there is a nice hole in the tranny.
As long the trans and t-case have no cracks or holes and are still full of fluid then a new front drive shaft and you are back on the road.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:39 AM
Recovery Vehicle

The reason it won't move is because you're essentially getting "wheel slip" (the same thing that happens when a tire loses traction) right at the front drive shaft. If I'm not mistaken 02's didn't have the locking center diff so you unfortunately will not be able to move the truck anywhere without a front drive shaft in. Do you have any information on that drive shaft you mentioned?

Old 07-22-2009, 07:55 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by csb
What's up? All these enthusiasts and only one response? C'mon, guys...take a Land Rover newbie under your wing(s) .
PM me your tele number and I'll cal you and walk you thru this one.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:09 AM
csb
Overlanding

I'll do one better than PM'ing my phone number...I'll post it here as well. 763-742-9037. As for having more information on the front driveshaft...the only information I have is that it is gone entirely (minus half of the rear u-joint and a 6" splined shaft bolted to the front differential...now just hanging there). There are no visible cracks in the transmission or transfer case, and there is no sign of any fluid leakage (past or present). It still seems "weird" to me that I don't feel the "clunk" I've mentioned above when shifting into gear...just a subtle, increasing vibration in the vehicle until it is shifted back into P or N. I had the vehicle towed to my home on a flat bed, FYI. It was towed across a parking lot to the flatbed, however, the rear-end was lifted up and it was towed on its front wheels which, again, aren't connected to anything presently. Anyway...anyone who feels they can help can also feel free to contact me by phone. I'll let you know exactly what I see, feel, etc. Thanks, guys...it was great to log in this AM and see the new posts! Steve.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:23 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Get in contact with Disco Mike and in the mean time check out a driveshft from here:

http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html

Old 07-22-2009, 09:55 AM
csb
Overlanding

UPDATE: Disco Mike called me...what a helpful guy! He said that, since I have no external physical damage to either my transfer case or transmission, I can more than likely install a new drive shaft WITH GREASE FITTINGS (and new bolts/nuts) and be good to go. He also said that the vibration I feel when in reverse or drive is due to the fact that what is left of the rear u-joint is spinning out-of-balance on the transfer case. He said it's spinning because that path is currently the path of least resistance. I can definitely see how this problem can (and does) result in holes in one of these two primary components. I've got a good sized dent in my floorboard, directly above the rear u-joint. It looks as though I MAY have been lucky based on the fact that the floor was hit, but nothing else was. Anyway...I'll be ordering a new drive shaft today and we'll have to see what happens. Fingers crossed...

Quick Reply: New to site! '02 Discovery trans/transfer case issue? Help!