Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No block heater in my 04 Discovery???

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 07:29 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No block heater in my 04 Discovery???

Good day,

I was quite amazed to find out that my Discovery doesn't have a block heater. Please keep in my mind that I am from Canada and from my past experince, a vehicle that doesn't have one is very rare.

To that end;

Can anyone tell me if there are any technical worries I should have if I get one installed ? I spoke to my dealership today and they assured me that if I were to get it installed that would not void the warranty in any way.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

Old 02-08-2008, 09:31 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: No block heater in my 04 Discovery???

Is the dealer going to install it? Or are you going to buy it from someplace like Atlantic British and install it yourself?
Either way you wont have any problems as long as it is installed properly.
My biggest consern would be a leak.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle

You absolutely sure you don't have it ??? The previous owner of my Disco told me that it didn't have the block heater. I found it while replacing my air filter. It was tucked in the air filter box area. He had owned it for 6 years, and never knew he had it. It came with the winter package. So if you have heated seats andheated windscreen, you should have the block heater... Unless these items were added after the initial purchase.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:17 PM
Three Wheeling

DaRover,

I do have heated seats and the heated windscreen.

Can you tell me where I would look exactly. Would it be on the drivers side, passengers side, am I looking under neath the in a nook or cranny. It's going to be -41C tomorrow with the wind chill.

Help DaRover, you're my only hope.

(sorry some star wars humor there)

Thank you,

Old 02-08-2008, 11:05 PM
Three Wheeling

Good day,

I found it ! The plug any way and it was exactly where it was supposed to be. It was tucked in behind the air fliter with the factor zap strap still firmly attached.

The main reason I asked this question was due to the fact that I work secuirty and some times I'm posted to work sites that are open air, thankfully the one I'm at the contractors were nice enough to hook up a line for a vehcile plug in.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]and a [sm=smiley20.gif]to DaRover

Thank you.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Cool, glad you found it. Sorry for not responding to your reply and p.m last night, for I didn't come back to the computer until this morning.

The way I use my block heater, is that I plug my extention cord to a remote controlled plug-in, that I activate about an hour before leaving home for work. It is not very good on the coolant, since it is not circulating, to have the block heater turned on for hours and hours and boil the non-circulating coolant. Therefore, an hour is good enough.

And although I proceed as desribed when I'm home, I work on parliament hill in Ottawa, and park behind Supreme court. The parking lot is facing north on the very top of the hill accross the river where it is always windy. Sometimes the Disco is parked there from 7h30 am to sometimes 9h00 pm, (depending on how late the house sits),and the weather can drop to minus 30 by the time I get back to my truck. The Disco never hesitated, not even once, to start right away.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:35 PM
Three Wheeling

DaRover,

Thanks again. I'll have to look into a timer for my block heater. I"m sure I can find one at Canadain Tire or Napa or something to that effect. Thanks again for the info.

TTech870

Old 02-10-2008, 09:51 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Why a timer, just plug your heater into a cord and leave it alone, that is all that is needed.
Since you are worrying about cold starts, have you had your battery checked?

Old 02-10-2008, 07:53 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I am looking for my plug, as I have a 03 Disco with the cold weather package and I can not locate it. Any help would be great!!!

Old 02-10-2008, 08:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Look closely around the engineon the driver's side. You should be able to locate an electrical cord that leads to somewhere around the air filter box. It could besqueezed between the box and fender, or tucked under the box or something like that.

Quick Reply: No block heater in my 04 Discovery???