Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco '96 engine light on, oil change, and others

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 06:22 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco '96 engine light on, oil change, and others

New here....and right to the point.
I have a Disco '96 SE7 with tons of miles on (156+k). After spending about 2k on getting someone to fix it I decided to take matters in my own hands. So to start the check engine light is on the code is P1316 (misfire excessive emission)....I might know what is wrong with it my mechanic had unplugged the oxygen sensors and it was running fine. Well after a few miles like that it started to misfire and acting up. So I think I need to plug those back on but I don't know where they go. Can someone direct me where they go? I can see them hanging but don't know where to put 'em. Also I need a manual any suggestion where could I fine a good one and cheap?
I'll be changing the oil too I live in NC and it doesn't get but in the 30s in the winter. I have the K&N oil filter already. Can any one suggest a type of oil?

Thanks

Old 10-03-2008, 07:01 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Disco '96 engine light on, oil change, and others

Your mis fires are because you need a tune up. Spark plugs and spark plug wires. Use Magnecore plug wires and you will never have to buy another set of plug wires. Use a different brand and you will be buying another set in a month. Literaly.
As for the O2 sensors. He left the sensors in just unplugged them? This guy is a idiot. The trucks computer gets it readings from the oxygen senors, that is how it knowhow much fuel you are using and then it adjusts how much fuel is needed by those readings.
Take it back to him and have him reconnect the O2's for free. I would park right in front of his door and make so much noise that he wouldnt have a choice.
But the plugs that they go to will be really close to each other. Plug them in to the wrong plugs and you will have serious problems.
As for the oil, 10w-40 or 15w-40 for where you live. Full synthetic is the best, but dino oil will work too.
5,000 miles on the full syn and 3,000 on the dino oil.
Any more questions feel free to ask.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:52 PM
4wd Low

Thanks for your reply. I do have the magnecore wire and the spark plugs where replaced about 3k miles ago. I can easily take it to this guy but I don't want him to touch it again. How bad of a problem would I have if I plug the O2 in the wrong place? Can you tell me where the plugs are?

Thank again.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:57 PM
4wd Low

BTW. I notice the gas line (the one that goes to the tank ....I'm not sure if that's the name of it but is the first thing that connects from where you put gas to the tank) has a small leak when I go to gas it leaks some it doesn't shoot the gas out but I notice there is a small tear so I've fixed it temporarily. Should I need a new gas line? or my fix would do? Should this be causing misfiring issues too?

Thanks

Old 10-03-2008, 10:05 PM
Team Owner

The only thing a leaking filler neck will do is set off the check engine light for a emissions fault. If your fix works then I wouldnt worry about it right now. It is a pretty simple repair though.
The o2 plugs should be pretty self explanatory. Just look for the two connectors that are closest together. I would clean them with electrical contact cleaner first since you have been driving it and the plugs have been exposed to road grime and such.
I would definetly find a new mechanic.

Old 10-04-2008, 07:21 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: JoeyDisco96

New here....and right to the point.
I have a Disco '96 SE7 with tons of miles on (156+k). After spending about 2k on getting someone to fix it I decided to take matters in my own hands. So to start the check engine light is on the code is P1316 (misfire excessive emission)....I might know what is wrong with it my mechanic had unplugged the oxygen sensors and it was running fine. Well after a few miles like that it started to misfire and acting up. So I think I need to plug those back on but I don't know where they go. Can someone direct me where they go? I can see them hanging but don't know where to put 'em. Also I need a manual any suggestion where could I fine a good one and cheap?
I'll be changing the oil too I live in NC and it doesn't get but in the 30s in the winter. I have the K&N oil filter already. Can any one suggest a type of oil?

Thanks

02 sensors plug in in 4 spots to plug in,,,the after cat's are easy so we are talking
about the front 02 sensors ,,the plugs are on top of the transmission just behind the coil
pack.
To get to the plugs you will need to remove the coil pack,, just 4 ten mm nuts make sure that
you mark the spark plug wires for the reinstall.
Its not hard just takes sometime.
Get pads for your knee's and jump in.

02 sensors rear ones in this pic one next to the transfer case on the right
https://landroverforums.com/upfiles/...96F6CCDCF8.jpg

For the gas tank leak check here
https://landroverforums.com/m_60168/tm.htm

Oil I use Mobil One Highmileage 10w30 or 10w40 syn.

Old 10-04-2008, 06:24 PM
4wd Low

Found the plugs right behind the coil, but the O2 sensors don't reach. I need to work on getting them closer somehow. I have picture of them and there is a red one and a black one which one goes where?

Also you can see another picture where I'm point at something that looks like it should plug in somewhere. Any ideas about that?

[IMG]local://upfiles/11658/618F75812F584CDFB35A5F60C3EDDA6D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/11658/CF0D1E75C86C4286B6F9755A20C16B63.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-04-2008, 09:10 PM
Team Owner

What you are pointing at in the second pic is the shrader valve on the fuel rail. that is there so that you can check the fuel PSI to see if your fuel pump is working as it should.
Go remove a cap off your kids bike tire and screw it on the truck, you dont want dirt getting into there.

Old 10-04-2008, 11:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Default .

Those two harness behind the coil pack is difinately for the O2 sensors on the left bank. I just can't remember which O2 goes to which harness. Where in NC are you?

Old 10-05-2008, 08:34 AM
TReK
Default RE: .

The red plug is theleft side (driver USA).
The only way the plugs will reach is when they are
setting on top of the transmission, that is why you will
have to remove the coil pack to plug the 02 sensors in,,
there is also a place to plug in the plugs that hold them
in place after you plug the 02 sensors.

Quick Reply: Disco '96 engine light on, oil change, and others