Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Compression

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 05:46 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts
Default No Compression

Hi guys, Got some serious problem here. Need help and your suggestion.
1st problem. Disco runs very smooth and no problem at all. Water pump started to leak and mechanic replaced it on my driveway. Following day wont start and got immobilized. Flashers turned on and wont start. All summer was sitting on driveway, a week ago I had it towed to a local mechanic shop which was recommended by my neighbor. Told mechanic the entire scenario and had the truck towed there, he even asked me to bring both set of keys for programing, week after which is today, he called and told me the reason why it wont start is that the engine has no compression. No compression!
I drove the disco with no problems at all before the water pump leak and it pulls strong on the highway with no hesitation. Climb hills with no problem and now wont start and no compression as the mechanic said. What could be the reasons?
Suggestions please. Thank you

Old 11-01-2016, 07:26 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

So, I asume the first mechanic ran the vehicle after replacing the pump and all was fine.

Then the next day you say it wouldn't start. As in what, doesn't crank over, cranks over...but doesn't fire up? I'm not sure what you mean by immobilized...do you mean the alarm system is keeping it from starting.

Now, second mechanic would have to show me the lack of compression on the gauge. I'm assuming he must have it cranking over to get compression test done. Something doesn't seem right here. A vehicle rarely loses its compression from sitting for a few months. I've seen/had the relief valve stick in the oil pump, on a different model engine, and create so much pressure that it hydrauliced the lifters and held the valves open, but it did this after it was running for a few minutes...not while cranking engine.

You may need to find another mechanic for a second opinion.

Brian.

The following users liked this post:
LR03NJ (11-01-2016)
Old 11-01-2016, 07:35 PM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by The Deputy

Brian.
This. Even if you lost compression in 2-3 cylinders (very sketchy diagnosis based on the info you have provided) it would still run. Rough as hell but it would fire up.

LR03NJ (11-01-2016)
Old 11-01-2016, 07:46 PM
Camel Trophy

JUKE179r mentioned, in "what did you do to your Dll today", having to reset his inertia switch on the firewall after making some repairs under the hood. Mentioned his flashers going off and a no start situation. Sounds like your initial problem.

Brian.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:06 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

As long as the starter is turning the crankshaft - there will be compression.

Even if the timing chain was broken - there would be compression.

Ok wait a minute.

If the flex plate was BROKEN then the starter would turn the flywheel / torque converter on the ZF transmission and then yes - there would appear to be no compression.

As the torque convertor would not have a connection to the crank shaft.

But if you put the key in
and crank on the key and the
front pulley is going round and round then you are good.

If someone removed all the spark plugs you would have no compression.

Well what about the IAC? IAC injects air into the cylinders.
Can that go bonkers / whacko and the compression gets out via those plumbings?

Don't think so.

I dunno.
You gotta get the rover to a real rover mechanic.

LR03NJ (11-01-2016)
Old 11-01-2016, 10:53 PM
TReK

So, I asume the first mechanic ran the vehicle after replacing the pump and all was fine.

Then the next day you say it wouldn't start. As in what, doesn't crank over, cranks over...but doesn't fire up? I'm not sure what you mean by immobilized...do you mean the alarm system is keeping it from starting.

Now, second mechanic would have to show me the lack of compression on the gauge. I'm assuming he must have it cranking over to get compression test done. Something doesn't seem right here. A vehicle rarely loses its compression from sitting for a few months. I've seen/had the relief valve stick in the oil pump, on a different model engine, and create so much pressure that it hydrauliced the lifters and held the valves open, but it did this after it was running for a few minutes...not while cranking engine.

Brian.
Thanks, Actually it cranks, which probably I meant that when you turn the ignition it goes to the process of starting but it wont fire up. The first mechanic told me that he left the keys in the ignition which might have triggered it to be immobilized. Then every time you turn the the ignition to crank the engine, turn signal lights blinks and the red dash light continuously blinking. As I remember, the horn also was going. Im sure its related to alarm. But he cant reset the ECU with the codes found in the forum. Then, it got stuck the entire summer coz im busy at work.

Old 11-01-2016, 10:55 PM
TReK

JUKE179r mentioned, in "what did you do to your Dll today", having to reset his inertia switch on the firewall after making some repairs under the hood. Mentioned his flashers going off and a no start situation. Sounds like your initial problem.

Brian.
Hi Brian,
Is it possible that inertia switch get faulty as well? Is there a way to determine or test that? Thanks

Old 11-01-2016, 11:08 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Red5
This. Even if you lost compression in 2-3 cylinders (very sketchy diagnosis based on the info you have provided) it would still run. Rough as hell but it would fire up.
Can you check compression if the car wont crank or start?

Old 11-02-2016, 05:00 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by LR03NJ
Thanks, Actually it cranks, which probably I meant that when you turn the ignition it goes to the process of starting but it wont fire up. The first mechanic told me that he left the keys in the ignition which might have triggered it to be immobilized. Then every time you turn the the ignition to crank the engine, turn signal lights blinks and the red dash light continuously blinking. As I remember, the horn also was going. Im sure its related to alarm. But he cant reset the ECU with the codes found in the forum. Then, it got stuck the entire summer coz im busy at work.
Disclaimer...I've only owned our Discovery for a few months...so the alarm and immobilization issues are new to me...but I've been a mechanic for 39 years...so the rest of the mechanical stuff is not.

However...with that being said.

When our 03 does this (horn and flashers going off, from accidently setting alarm with remote), I have to take the ignition key, insert it into drivers door lock, then turn it to the right three times. This disables the alarm and life is good again.

I guess the inertia switch could go bad, since anything is possible on these things. JUKE179r mentioned resetting his inertia switch by holding it down. But if the first mechanic inadvertently set the alarm with remote...you could try the key in the door method for getting it reset.

Yes, the engine has to crank over for the second mechanic to get compression readings.

Brian.

Last edited by The Deputy; 11-02-2016 at 05:44 AM.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:19 AM
TReK
Default Shop compression result

Went to shop and they told me none of the cylinders have any compression at all. Is that possible? Meaning 0 compression readings. Any thoughts? Thanks

Quick Reply: No Compression