Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No more resonator...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 11:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No more resonator...

A few pics of my new exhaust setup:

I cut the exhaust at the lowest bend and put a tip and clamp on it. Make sure to buy a 2.5 inch diameter tip so it fits over the factory tubing. It sounds great and cost less than $25.

I'll upload a video to Youtube in a bit.

Cheers,

Pete

Old 12-08-2008, 08:26 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: No more resonator...

Not good. The tip of the exhaust has to be taken away from under the truck. otherwise, at a stand still or in traffic, the fumes will get in the cab and make you sick or worse !!!

Old 12-08-2008, 09:18 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Yeah consider putting a few inches extension on that to get it out past the body work. Overtime that stuff can actually rust the undercarriage and paint.

Anyway, is that legal? Will it pass emissions like that? And how much louder is it? Sickeningly loud or just a nice grumble?

I only ask because I'm considering the same thing myself.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:06 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i did sort of the same thing... i ran seperate pipes from each cat and then ran them through glaspacks and put the tips out in front of the rear tires... but i am about to change it because on our last off roading trip my passenger side pipe hit a stump and got bent back to my tire, i bent it back with a stick but the hanger is still broken...

Old 12-08-2008, 10:37 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I tell you what, some of the muddy places I take mine, that would end up blocked with crap. I would suggest the side exit is the much better option.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:42 AM
Rock Crawling

ORIGINAL: Darover

Not good. The tip of the exhaust has to be taken away from under the truck. otherwise, at a stand still or in traffic, the fumes will get in the cab and make you sick or worse !!!
The exhaust exits behind the rear tire. The tip angles down so the exhaust fumes come out from under the car instead of straight down. I appreciate the concern though.

It should not affect emissions (at least not for Texas).

The sounds is a nice burble at idle. You can't hear it unless the windows are down or you really hammer it out on the road. This video shows what it sounds like (not my Rover):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtdNJtjKiFI

Cheers,

Pete

Update:

From the Texas DPS:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/insp...ejectsubmit=Go

j. The tailpipe fails to discharge exhaust from the rear or sides or top of the passenger compartment of the vehicle.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Do you do much water crossing? I'd be afraid of water rushing up through the tailpipe if the engine ever died. What made you choose the lowest point to make the cut? From the pics it looks like the tip is sitting lower than with the stock resonator.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:01 PM
Rock Crawling

ORIGINAL: Disco2Guy

Do you do much water crossing? I'd be afraid of water rushing up through the tailpipe if the engine ever died. What made you choose the lowest point to make the cut? From the pics it looks like the tip is sitting lower than with the stock resonator.
No particular reason for cutting it there. I don't plan on doing any water crossings that deep. The problem I had with the factory tip was it dragging on steep hills and rocks. This tip is right behind the axle and lets the exhaust gas right out behind the rear tire.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:23 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Switzer

The sounds is a nice burble at idle. You can't hear it unless the windows are down or you really hammer it out on the road. This video shows what it sounds like (not my Rover):

Good choice of video. (cough cough:: its mine!)

And I think what you did will work, mine is shorter but still angles down and I never have any problems. DiscoMike would same the same I believe, judging what he's said in the past.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:33 PM
Rock Crawling

ORIGINAL: Camdisco24

ORIGINAL: Switzer

Good choice of video. (cough cough:: its mine!)

And I think what you did will work, mine is shorter but still angles down and I never have any problems. DiscoMike would same the same I believe, judging what he's said in the past.
Your video helped me decide to try it out.

I think the way I have it set up works quite well. I would have to try pretty hard to wack the tip off road as it sits right behind the axle (behind the rear shock mount). I'm sure if I were idling my Rover for 15 minutes in a closed garage exhaust gases might be an issue.

For the cost and sound I recommend everyone go out and chop that resonator right off. It really adds character to the Rover and lets me know I actually have a V8 under the hood. Most friends assume its a V6 listening to the exhaust (nevermind the V8 badges on the outside).

Cheers,

Pete

Quick Reply: No more resonator...