Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   No start again after changing CKP sensor (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/no-start-again-after-changing-ckp-sensor-93088/)

GregDisco2 01-19-2019 11:53 AM

No start again after changing CKP sensor

Hey guys,
I was wondering if someone else has seen this same issue. I have. 2001 Discovery 2 with 135,000 miles on it. About a week ago it just died. It turns over but will not hit. After reading, it seemed the most common symptoms resembled the crankshaft sensorissue. I changed it and all good for a week. Now it has died agin. Same issue, turns over but doesn't hit. I pulled a spark plug and smell gas and get spark when it turns over. I read somewhere that when it turns over I should be seeing the rpm needle move a little, even if not hitting, but it just stays on zero. I'm wondering now if the new sensor died, or if anyone else has seen something similar. I hate to change the sensor again. Thanks to anyone that can help out or lead me in the right direction. I have a code reader but there are no codes. I have the 3 amigo lights plus service engine that goes out while trying to start. I was wondering if I need to change the sensor again as it is giving the exact symptoms as before.

Llamasayswhat 01-19-2019 12:02 PM

Where did the new sensor come from? What brand? I have seen cheapy aftermarket ones crap out early

Although if you are getting spark and fuel as you say, that is very odd. Does the car try to catch? Cough/sputter? Or no signs of combustion?

Engines only need 4 things to run ..spark, fuel, air, compression. Check for all 4

Stein 01-19-2019 03:05 PM

I agree, you need to use a bosch sensor as the aftermarket sensors are junk and will fail leaving you stranded.

But if you are getting spark, then the ECU is getting a signal from the crank sensor. So it sounds like you have a different issue.

GregDisco2 01-19-2019 03:20 PM

The car just turns over and doesn’t even try to catch. I used a Bosch sensor, which is what was in it when I replaced it. I have not checked fuel pressure with a gauge but smell it when trying to crank and there is fuel on the tips of the plugs. I have also not checked compression but I guess that is the next step as I am out of ideas.

I agree the ECu is seeing rotation as it reads around 200 rpm when I watch it with the scanner while starting.

No Doubt 01-19-2019 04:09 PM

Think like a caveman and keep things simple.

Spray starter fluid into air intake. Does motor now briefly start?

Yes = fuel problem
No = spark or timing/compression problem

Now you are working on the correct half of the problem.

GregDisco2 01-19-2019 05:18 PM

Thanks. I was going to try that actually when I went to pick up a compression tester. I’ll post results tomorrow. Appreciate your insight.

The Deputy 01-20-2019 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by No Doubt (Post 677135)
Think like a caveman and keep things simple.

Spray starter fluid into air intake. Does motor now briefly start?

Yes = fuel problem
No = spark or timing/compression problem

Now you are working on the correct half of the problem.

​​​​​​
This^^^

You need four things to run; spark, air/fuel mixture, compression...and timing (it all has to happen at the right time).

If you're smelling fuel (still needs to be verified for correct pressure), have spark...then compression and timing have to be verified. It would be extremely odd to lose all compression in cylinders at once, so timing chain would be more suspect if no compression in any cylinders.

​​​​​​​ Brian.

GregDisco2 01-20-2019 11:17 AM

Ok, I sprayed starter fluid into the intake and it doesn't hit. Weird because I can see a faint spark when I pulled one of the plugs and tried to turn it over. Anyway, I also checked compression and it is about 135psi and holds there, no loss. On a side note, I changed the gaskets about a year ago and it has been leak free since.

I guess this points to electrical issue? Not sure really where to go. Would the sensor be bad but still throw a faint spark but not enough to run? Coil issue maybe?

No Doubt 01-20-2019 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by GregDisco2 (Post 677214)
Ok, I sprayed starter fluid into the intake and it doesn't hit.
I guess this points to electrical issue?

Yup, non-fuel issue (timing/compression or no spark). Check obvious things first such as using to scanner to verify codes that the alarm isn't activated. Check battery voltage/condition. Check coils/wires/plugs/connections.

GregDisco2 01-20-2019 03:54 PM

Thanks No Doubt. I've got an inline spark checker somewhere. I'll start checking each wire to see if I have spark on any wire. I did run my scanner again, no new codes. Would a bad coil pack cause this issue? Do these just fail like this without warning?