Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Turn Signals on a new to me 99 DII

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 09:58 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default No Turn Signals on a new to me 99 DII

No Turn Signals on a new to me 99 DII. Thought i had better start a new thread on this as i may take some time to fix lol.

The background....

Well I'm into day 3 of trying to bring this old beauty back from dead, or at least close to it i guess. To give a little background is a DII that has seen no love in the last 3 years that i can tell that i just picked up for $1000

When i got her Friday she had no lights, brake, turn, or any kind of dash lights, the radio did not work, not any of the dash buttons, it has the 3 amigos, although i could not tell as the owner had pained out the lights from the inside with black nail polish, (his nail polish i suspect ) and no turn signals,

After a couple of days working on it and cleaning out things that even my shop vac did not want to eat, i got most of the electrics working. well all but the turn signals. This post from spike got me thinking...

Originally Posted by Spike555
Do the brake lights work?
Hows that traffic treating you right now?
Sounds like either the brake light switch went out or the trailer wiring shorted out the shift inter lock.
Was the trucks wiring cut to install the trailer harness or was it a plug-n-play harness?
I guess the last owner did a total a Edward Scissor Hands job of adding a trailer harness, This i assumed could be causing all the brake lights, turn signals etc etc not to have worked?

He also removed the pin in the shifter to allow it to be drive.. and after me working on it for 2 days solid with a volt meter and 20 boxes of fuses i now have the brake lights working but the flashers (turn signals) just wont.

The the Problem...
The symptom is when i hit the Hazard button the dash the flashers all work, although a little fast, from that I guessed from that the wires and bulbs all work (seems like a safe assumption right?)
When i switch the stork on the indicators its just dead, nothing happens at all. I have the engine running just to make sure i have the ignition in the right spot.

Could this be as simple as a bad indicator switch? i looked and there is a harness going to it so is there anyway to unplug the harness and bridge a connection (just like activating the turn signal stork switch does) to test the theory and if so what connections would it be? The last owner say it just stop working a few days ago but from what i know now he would not exactly make a credible whiteness in any court if you get my drift.

Thanks as always for all the help and if i can provide some more info or even photos please let me know.
Dave

Oh and here is a photo of the old girl...

Old 04-18-2010, 12:45 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Just as a lark reset the inertia button under the hood.
Passenger side on the fire wall, black rubber button, press it and hold for a few seconds.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:50 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the thought but no luck.. did it a couple of time no change in that the turn signals seem dead... Any other thoughts on what i should try next?

Thanks
Dave

Old 04-18-2010, 08:19 PM
Team Owner

Set it on fire and take the insurance money and run?

No, sorry, I have no other idea's. I am useless when it comes to electrical stuff.
RoverChris is a 12 volt tech, look him up and send him a PM.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:50 AM
Three Wheeling

it may just be me being stupid but i cannot find a RoverChris listed in the members list. Do you have his contact info?

Old 04-20-2010, 07:24 PM
Three Wheeling

Ok so i had a little time today so stated to work though the problem.
I wont bore you with all the trouble shooting, just the solution.

Under the steering wheel cover is the stork that has the lights and turn signels. The lower white connector that goes into this with the heavy gauge wires are for your lights. the smaller upper one with 3 thin wires are the turn signals.

The plug has a black wire, (ground i assume) and 2 green wires with a stripe for left and right turn signals, each of the green wires showed about 1.2 volts. the black wire did not seem to have voltage or seem be a good to ground. I though it should be one or the other... so I taped into the back wire and ran a new line to a good ground point and ..... turn singles. So it seems i had a broken or damaged ground.

Just wanted to share..

Dave

Last edited by range_time; 04-20-2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:56 PM
Team Owner

Thanks for sharing.