Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noisy power steering pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 03:11 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Noisy power steering pump

I recently replaced my power steering pump with a rebuilt from roversnorth. It has been in since 3rd week of October. I installed it using instructions from Rave CD. Used Rover fluid and added Lucas. Since day one when I first start the truck it whines slightly then gets quiet. As the engine warms it will start to whine again, I should add it never gets very loud and steering is always very easy. After engine is at full operating temp within about 10 mins later it will quiet down and no noise as long as I drive. It repeats this every time it has cooled all the way down. Are these pumps known for being noisy? How long will it keep doing this? Is it damaging the pump when it is whining? What causes the noise? Is it the fluid not flowing right that makes the noise? Is it possible it will leave me stranded one day? I know its alot of questions but it has been doing this so long I keep waiting for it to either stay quiet or break. Any input would be helpful......

Old 01-13-2010, 03:25 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you bleed all the air out of the steering box? A bit of noise on first start up in the winter is normal but only for a second. Are you losing fluid? Are there air bubbles in your fluid? It may be that the Lucas made your fluid too thick, you should not really need it, kind of a shame to add it to a nice synthetic fluid like the rover fluid.

Last edited by lipadj46; 01-13-2010 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:33 PM
Three Wheeling

Yea..Bled turning to both stops. Nope no fluid loss... No air bubbles.... I should have stated I added the lucas after changing the fluid twice thinking it might have had some junk in it from old pump when it went bad and the noise would not stop.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:40 PM
TReK

Could just be the cold and the thicker fluid and maybe a little air in the system. As long as you have no leaks and no bubbles your system is tight. Keep an eye on the level and maybe try another fast bleed.

I replaced my pump with a used pump it sometimes gives me a groan for 1 second on really cold mornings then it is dead silent.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:49 PM
Three Wheeling

Yea I don't mind that little bit at start up. Mine does that exact same thing. If it was too thick why would it start to whine after warming up a bit? Oh almost forgot when it starts to whine when warming up if I turn the wheel to the right the pitch of the whine changes. But like I said after warmed up it quiets right down.

Also the lucas I added was not the thick stop leak. It was the conditioner.

Last edited by seaosrover; 01-13-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:20 PM
TReK

I'm just guessing here that you may have a very small leak that lets in some air and then the bubble works its way out when the fluid gets hot. Or you can have a bubble in the system that still needs to be bled out. Did you change the o ring that goes into the high pressure fitting on the pump?

Old 01-13-2010, 04:24 PM
Three Wheeling

No I did'nt. Do you think it could be sucking in a little air with the old o-ring? The fluid level has not changed. And I park with a peice of cardboard under to keep track of any oil leaks that pop up and don't have any fluid on the sheet.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:36 PM
TReK

I would bleed it again, do 4 full swings with the bleed screw just loose so fluid does not shoot 10 ft into the air. Try to close the bleed valve right away so no air gets back in. This requires 2 people.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:54 PM
Three Wheeling

LOL!! On the shooting in the air!! The first time I bled it " I thought I could do this myself I don't need two people....So I loosened the screw, put my hose on it had it pointed in my pan no problem right? As soon as I turned the wheel that fluid was like old faithful---What a mess!!
Thank You for your help....I will try bleeding again when I put the new o-ring in

Old 01-13-2010, 07:27 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Have you replaced your serpentine belt?

Quick Reply: Noisy power steering pump