Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is not a truck to get for your wife.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 10:29 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default This is not a truck to get for your wife.

This vehicle takes a lot of wife-proofing. So here's the setup:

The car is in the garage and my son, being the helpful guy that he is, turned the interior light on at some point in time. It was fine because my wife was driving the truck daily, but then the battery died after my wife stayed at the house for a day.

She calls the roadside assistance and the gent dutifully arrives to jump start the truck, however it is parked hood-first in the garage. So it needs to be towed out (mind you all I'm still in Korea at this time) and the service guy can't find the release switch to put it into neutral. He searched the manual for a solution (but not hard enough, as I pointed out to my wife after telling this story), and did not find the part that said to put the T-case into neutral (have to give him credit, it is alot of letters for our man-sized attention span).

So the solution was to DRAG THE ROVER OUT OF THE GARAGE WITH A TOW CABLE. My wife said she didn't think it left marks and I was like, well **** what about the tires to the brakes to the t-case to the x-mission and everything in between? Hilarious.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:46 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default You got that right..

I know where you are comming from..My wife would rather walk than get in a LR... Well, one that most of us drive... She would have no problem in a brand new one with towing service and warranty....

Too funny....Chris

Old 05-15-2011, 07:34 AM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

ouch.... but too funny.... luckily my wife is italian ... my disco is way to big for her to even attempt to drive.. not in her driving mentality...WHEW!

Old 05-15-2011, 09:38 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

LOL. Always fun with things like this. I just can't believe the tow truck people didn't have a jumper box to use instead of cables!

Old 05-15-2011, 12:29 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Snafu / Disco Fries
LOL. Always fun with things like this. I just can't believe the tow truck people didn't have a jumper box to use instead of cables!
or a set of dollies to pop under the tires and push it out.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:10 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why didn't he put the truck in neutral, I know you should put the transfer case on neural when towing distances, but rolling it out the garage? Who are they getting to drive tow trucks these days?

Old 05-15-2011, 05:04 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

With battery dead you can't shift.

I recommend to everyone remove the damn solenoid, it's a pos

Old 05-15-2011, 09:46 PM
Mudding

Well, I don't know what the other Discos are like, but on the '03 and '04 you can shift the t-case into neutral when the xmission is in park; that allows the truck to be towed.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:36 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by jwfuller
Well, I don't know what the other Discos are like, but on the '03 and '04 you can shift the t-case into neutral when the xmission is in park; that allows the truck to be towed.
I thought the tranny had to be in neutral first, then shift the t-case into neutral?

Last edited by 'BamaBoy; 05-16-2011 at 11:26 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Lol the independent rover mechanic that I some times take my truck to said he got a Disco once where the engine exploded because the woman driving it saw the needle going into the red and kept driving.

Back when my head gasket was leaking I could only drive the truck at like 35 mph, go any higher and the thing would over heat.

Quick Reply: This is not a truck to get for your wife.