Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O2 Sensor Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 09:45 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 Sensor Plugs

Hi Everyone. Have spent most of Nov trying to resolve error codes with my 03 Disco that were preventing it from passing inspection. So far I have done the following in this order:

- Installed new SAI system
- New Wires/Plugs
- New Mass Air Flow Sensor

I am now only getting code P0103 which is the front driver side O2 sensor. I ordered two new sensors last week so I can replace the front sensors as a pair as recommended by people on this site. New sensors arrived from Atlantic British yesterday and i tried to install them myself.

I can get to the sensor no problem, but the harness where the sensors plug in are in a tight spot on each side and i cant seem to get them unplugged. My questions are as follows:

1.) Are there any tricks/tips for getting to the sensors easily?
2.) How exactly do the plugs come apart? I noticed that each end has a tab on one side but i cant figure them out.

Any ideas? Thanks much!

Old 12-01-2010, 10:45 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

they were pretty easy for me slide under the truck unclip each one first then use a wrench to loosen them up....I used a regular open ended wrench to loosen them, the drivers side is a little tight but doable...

Old 12-01-2010, 01:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Your P0103 code in my OBD II decoder software has a Land Rover description of mass air flow sensor, high out of range and a generic description of mass or volume air flow circuit high input. So it looks like a mass air sensor issue not an O2 sensor. What are you using to decode your faults?

Old 12-01-2010, 02:49 PM
4wd Low

Typo on my behalf. Code is P0130.

Also, i can get to where the sensors are screwed into the exhaust, but where the wire harness plug into each other is difficult to get to and I havent been able to get the plugs unplugged. Any tips on how they work?

Old 12-01-2010, 06:06 PM
TReK

having just done mine 2 months ago. reach up and on the driver side the release for the clip should be facing forward i believe. press it in and pull down on the wire loom. it should pull apart.

on the passenger side the release is facing toward the door and a bit more tight to get too. press it and pull on the wire loom and again it will pull apart.

buy a small tube of dielectric grease from the auto store. apply a dab to the connectors on both new harnesses and install.

no voodoo or secret mojo needed. also dont wear gloves if you are unsure of where you need to press on the release tabs. they will block your ability to feel the tab where you need to press.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:15 PM
6th Gear

I just changed mine this past weekend. The easiest way I found was to remove the entire harness from the metal clip connecting it to the body or frame. It just took a small flat blade to release and slide them off of the metal clip. You will see the small rectangular slot to place the flat blade to release. Once off, there was plenty of slack and room to get fingers around the harness and separate both sides of the plug. Once I figured this out it was very quick and easy.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:35 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HickeyNC
Typo on my behalf. Code is P0130.

Also, i can get to where the sensors are screwed into the exhaust, but where the wire harness plug into each other is difficult to get to and I havent been able to get the plugs unplugged. Any tips on how they work?
You can remove the harness off of the frame where it is mounted, this will allow easier access to the connectors, as you will have slack in the wires allowing you to move them to a spot where you can more easily (or less difficultly) disconnect them.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:38 PM
Overlanding

Not to sound like a girl here but I am! LOL! Are we talking about the MAF Sensor? I have to change mine to and rather do it myself? Any pics on the dYI?

Old 12-01-2010, 08:55 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Babysdisco
Not to sound like a girl here but I am! LOL! Are we talking about the MAF Sensor? I have to change mine to and rather do it myself? Any pics on the dYI?
no we are talking about O2 sensors. the MAF is attacked to the airbox right behind it.

unscrew the clamps on the air ducts. unplug from harness and it will come right out.

and reverse,,,

Attached Thumbnails O2 Sensor Plugs-2200-050-engine-480.jpg  
Old 12-01-2010, 09:34 PM
Overlanding

So its easy to do? I can install a new one myself?

Quick Reply: O2 Sensor Plugs