Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O2 sensors failing after 6k miles?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 12:39 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UPDATE: I heard from the shop, sensors checked out fine and they found a worn wire. They replaced it, and the check engine light has stayed off.

Now, the bad news, they found coolant stains on the driver side head, so there is a bad gasket there. This shop doesn't even want to touch it, and would want too much to do it anyway.

Now comes my choice. I've been considering selling it since I have an 18-month at home, and time and money are short at the moment. Or do I attempt to repair it myself? I'm just okay at this stuff, opening up a motor would be a big job for me especially.

I've put a lot into it, and the truck has job really good things going for it. For now I'm going to list it in the classifieds. If anyone is interested, make me an offer. I have a detailed record of what I've done to it, and it has $800 worth of brand new tires on it. Brakes are new, much more.

Old 01-31-2017, 12:47 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

Clearly not a Rover shop, better off not having them go deep.

Just for kicks, on the drivers side are there signs of coolant ON the top of the valve cover?

It is common for the throttle body heater to leak and that drips down on the head between spark plugs 3 and 5.

So look before you sell it, thats the difference between a $20 fix and a $2000 fix.

Old 01-31-2017, 01:07 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dave03S
Clearly not a Rover shop, better off not having them go deep.

Just for kicks, on the drivers side are there signs of coolant ON the top of the valve cover?

It is common for the throttle body heater to leak and that drips down on the head between spark plugs 3 and 5.

So look before you sell it, thats the difference between a $20 fix and a $2000 fix.

That's not a bad thought, but the shop said you can see it coming out of where the head meets the block. Definitely going to need an HG. Really not ideal timing for me at the moment...oh well, at this point if I can minimalize my losses and see it go to a guy who has the time to fix it, that would be good enough for me.

Old 01-31-2017, 01:12 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Muggs
That's not a bad thought, but the shop said you can see it coming out of where the head meets the block. Definitely going to need an HG. Really not ideal timing for me at the moment...oh well, at this point if I can minimalize my losses and see it go to a guy who has the time to fix it, that would be good enough for me.
well in all honestly, you can get it done right by yourself for around$500-$600. I understand the issue with the toddler. I got a 2 1/2 year old and he has learned more curse words with me working on it than I think he would have learned till he was 18

Old 01-31-2017, 01:12 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
well in all honestly, you can get it done right by yourself for around$500-$600. I understand the issue with the toddler. I got a 2 1/2 year old and he has learned more curse words with me working on it than I think he would have learned till he was 18
where are you located at by the way

Old 01-31-2017, 01:50 PM
Drifting

where are you located at by the way

I'm in Cleveland, Ohio. And I hear your other thoughts, still considering doing it myself. I do love the truck. That all being said, if someone would make a decent offer I would more than likely take it.

Also, I see that I could get the kit around $200, then I would think a machine shop would want at least $200 to mill the heads. I've done things like bearings, brakes, water pumps, but opening up a motor would cause me some anxiety. haha Have you done this before? I do have the RAVE manual downloaded, and have heard about the In Search of Experience DVD that apparently has a HG job on it. Still though, I am doubting I can do this.

Last edited by Muggs; 01-31-2017 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:40 PM
Pro Wrench

I'm in Cleveland, Ohio. And I hear your other thoughts, still considering doing it myself. I do love the truck. That all being said, if someone would make a decent offer I would more than likely take it.

Also, I see that I could get the kit around $200, then I would think a machine shop would want at least $200 to mill the heads. I've done things like bearings, brakes, water pumps, but opening up a motor would cause me some anxiety. haha Have you done this before? I do have the RAVE manual downloaded, and have heard about the In Search of Experience DVD that apparently has a HG job on it. Still though, I am doubting I can do this.
you can get a good head gasket kit from lucky 8 for under $100. I actually just redid mine. Not a hard job at all. A good weekend for a beginner but well worth every penny. I went above n beyond though n powdercoated everything

Old 01-31-2017, 02:44 PM
Pro Wrench

Engine Refresh (top end) | PaulP38A.com

there re is a link to a website of an Aussie that did it and took great pictures. If you wanna do it yourself and keep it, shoot me a pm and I'll help anyway I can as I'm sure anybody on here would.

The following users liked this post:
Muggs (01-31-2017)
Old 01-31-2017, 02:45 PM
Drifting

you can get a good head gasket kit from lucky 8 for under $100. I actually just redid mine. Not a hard job at all. A good weekend for a beginner but well worth every penny. I went above n beyond though n powdercoated everything

You know, you're persuasive, you're starting to sell me on this. I was planning on doing this preventively this summer anyway (was also going to add an oiler cooler and redo the headliner - I had big plans). The timing of this couldn't be worse, but at least I caught it and could address it.

Thanks for that post! I'll check it out. Would you recommend the In Search of Experience DVD? Are you familiar with that?

Old 01-31-2017, 02:57 PM
Pro Wrench

You know, you're persuasive, you're starting to sell me on this. I was planning on doing this preventively this summer anyway (was also going to add an oiler cooler and redo the headliner - I had big plans). The timing of this couldn't be worse, but at least I caught it and could address it.

Thanks for that post! I'll check it out. Would you recommend the In Search of Experience DVD? Are you familiar with that?
never heard of it but with the rave manual, that guys detailed photos n break down, n the forum, you got it man. With gaskets, hoses, orings, anti seize, loctite (blue and the sealant for the valley gasket, head work, n fluids, I have less that $500. The powder coating n ceramic coating is what got me along with other stuff I wanted to do. I got the rave on my iPhone n Ipad n keep it out there the whole time. The lucky 8 kit even comes with new stretch bolts since I know studs are out with a munchkin

Quick Reply: O2 sensors failing after 6k miles?