Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBD2 Codes, need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 11:16 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You have a hose loose on your SAI (secondary air) and your gas cap is either loose or you need a new purge flow valve. These are cheap easy fixes.

P0430 on the other hand may be due to a bad Cat. You have ACE that is what the little light with 2 arrows is. Download the Rave CD for more info on codes and how to fix your truck.

Last edited by lipadj46; 08-20-2009 at 11:21 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:04 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by uflash
Hi Mike,

A few months ago you help me understand a few problems with my Disco. I hope you have some time to shed some light on my confusion. We own a '03 Disco SE w/ ~84K recently had a engine light with the P0159 code and others. After your advice replace all O2 sensors, resetted the computer and everything was good (passed SMOG). Last weekend after a relative short drive ~40 miles, two things happend: 1) I got the yellow light that looks like the back of the car with arrows pointing up on both sides. 2) Trying to understand the problem I read the codes P0441, and P1413. I dont think one has to do with another so please let me know if I'm wrong.
I resetted the computer and was waiting to see if it comes back, today we got a "Service enginee light", read the code and now I get a P0430.

So I'm totaly confuse of what's the problem? any ideas?

thanks,
Joseph
441 is an incorrect purge flow for the Evap system, 430 is your passenger side cat ineffective, I don't have a definition for the 1413.
Does your truck have ACE?

Old 08-21-2009, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by lipadj46
You have a hose loose on your SAI (secondary air) and your gas cap is either loose or you need a new purge flow valve. These are cheap easy fixes.

P0430 on the other hand may be due to a bad Cat. You have ACE that is what the little light with 2 arrows is. Download the Rave CD for more info on codes and how to fix your truck.
Gas cap won't correct an incorrect purge flow.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:51 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The saga continues...

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Gas cap won't correct an incorrect purge flow.
First thank you very much guys for your advices. I decided to take one bullet and take it to the dealer for diagnostic since I have very little info about the car past. You can imagine that rather than a bullet it felt more like a tractor-trailer standing on top of my little toe!

Summary of their recommendations:
1) Need a new catalytic converter (they only replace the whole thing!)... Note: I passed SMOG ~2 months ago.
2) Found little oil sipping from the engine (my garage got no marks on the floor), but they did show me some oil dirt around one of the O2 sensors (recently replaced). So need to take the engine apart replace gaskets, etc!

well you guys now the rest ~$9000 (part&labor)
(Somebody just shoot me!)

My opinion:
#2 put some electric tape around the sensor harness to protect it...and wait until a long weekend and maybe do the gasket myself or maybe do nothing!

#1 will look into all of you guys suggestions, but worst case scenario a muffler shop will replace only the converter not the whole thing! or maybe will do nothing!

Please need suggestions!!

thanks
Joe

Old 08-21-2009, 02:30 PM
TReK

You wonder if Land Rover dealers are retarded. Seriously who would spend $9k to fix a truck that is not even worth half that. If you don't have time to fix things yourself you need to find a good indy shop that knows Land Rovers.

Find the exact place the the oil is leaking and let us know, for now add a little white shepards to your oil and keep an eye on your oil levels. To find the leak powerwash your engine to get it clean. Most Disos leak a little oil at some point in their lives. Find a muffler shop that will do your cats. You also need to replace the purge flow valve and find the leak in your SAI. These are all things you can do on your own even the Cats of you have the time. Here are some cats on sale:

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/WCD105870.cfm

Last edited by lipadj46; 08-21-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:28 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i had a similar situation going on, did the head gaskets and the cat that is on my truck was rigged from a different truck and it had caused a stress crack in the exhaust so instead of buying a new cat system since im broke i welded that fu*cker back togher again. its quiet and will work fine for now. Until i get some money to redo the whole exhaust system front to back.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:18 PM
Overlanding
Default The $9K job...

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
441 is an incorrect purge flow for the Evap system, 430 is your passenger side cat ineffective, I don't have a definition for the 1413.
Does your truck have ACE?
Thank you all for your help!

Mike I'm not sure about your question in regards to ACE. I though all trucks have it? But I did get the (ACE) warning lamp twice during last week.

I deleted the errors Friday, and drove at least 200 miles over the weekend without getting the "service engine light" or anything else other than the ACE warning lamp (Goes away once I power OFF). This could mean that something is about to fail or maybe a bit loose.

The oil leak is sipping from the back left area of the engine near the O2 sensor. I see some oil dirt on the 02 sensor harness.

Where should I start in order to identify the possible cause of these random errors?

Thanks,
Joe

Old 08-24-2009, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Joe,
Send me your tele number and lets talk about your trucks issues.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:29 PM
TReK

If you have not done anything to fix them the codes will come back. Get some White Shepards and put a bottle in your oil sump and see if that stops the leak. It is probably leaking from your valley pan gasket but also could be the rear engine gasket. If you have oil leaking into your exhaust it could explain the bad Cats.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:15 AM
Overlanding
Default 03' Disco the 9K job

Originally Posted by lipadj46
If you have not done anything to fix them the codes will come back. Get some White Shepards and put a bottle in your oil sump and see if that stops the leak. It is probably leaking from your valley pan gasket but also could be the rear engine gasket. If you have oil leaking into your exhaust it could explain the bad Cats.
Thanks, I'll clean the oil and put the White Shepard. Then will monitor if stopped or significantly reduce the leak.

Agree on the errors coming back, I'm just trying to understand if we have something that's about to go bad or something loose. I'm thinking of carefully cleaning the O2 sensor harness (a little dirty with oil splashes), that may be the issue after all!

Any suggestion on what to use to clean the wiring w/o need to remove the sensor.

Note: the oil is on the left rear corner of the engine.

thanks,
Joe

Quick Reply: OBD2 Codes, need suggestions