Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

octane rating?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 02:20 PM
b c
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default octane rating?

I noticed already that a few of you are really insistent on the importance of using premium . You askoftenif postees are using it.I'm not saying it isn't a good idea but with gas sooo high I'm still not sold. Mostly because i drove our last didco for 6 years on regular and never had a problem with the engine. I sold it with about 165k on it still ran very strong and had all the power of the 98 disco I just bought and am now runnng premium in.
Did any of you actually get the extra 2mpg you say is possible on premium?
I'm just a car owner with just enough knowledge of engines to be dangerous. I'm curious as to what expertise some of the contributors have. this is not in any way a slam. Just wondering how much some of the free advice is worth.
Always open to new ideas.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: octane rating?

I personally haven't done a mileage test with my Disco, but I know in my Cadillac (93 Octane rated) that has a mileage computer, there is a drop in fuel economy by going to regular. I think it was about 2 mpg. Plus it would ping like crazy, no power.Whenboughtmy 98 I was driving back from CA. I was initially using regular fuel (didn't have an owners manual at the time) and it was pretty doggy. I switched to Premium pretty quick and there was a noticable improvement in power/performance. I would have to imagine that means a jump in economy too. But I never checked the mileage. The manual on this thing says 90-92 octane, so I wonder what midgrade performance would be like?.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:36 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I noticed a very big difference in power, and yes I got about 2 MPG extra (1.976 to be exact) Its up to you, but running regular causes carbon build up which could be deadly to your engine in the long run. You might have gotten lucky with your other disco, but I wouldn't advise running regular. I don't know if DI's can cope with regular better than DII's or not, and I have a DII so someone else might have to put more emphasis on that. Besides if you really look at how much more you pay with premium, its only about $5-$8, and that might be worth it when you don't have to replace half the parts in your engine.

Thats just my input!
Cameron

Old 11-04-2007, 04:25 PM
b c
Mudding

wow !
thanks for the scoop on premium. If you say it works I'll stick with it and just assume if you are getting 2more mpg then i will too.

Old 11-04-2007, 04:32 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Your 98 could handle a lower octane gas, it would get less mileage and actually they were know for severe carbon issues which was know to bend exhaust valves.
Bottom line it will cost you more in the long run if you run a lesser octane, and yes I have been in areas where while on the road I couldn't find supreme and ran on a lower octane, my mileage and power did suffer.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:25 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The owners manual says to use premium. Who knows better than the people who built the engine?
Using the $.10 spred which is common here in West MI. And buying 20 gal of gas...
$3.00=$60 (87 octane)
$3.10=$62 (89 octane)
$3.20=$64 (93 octane)
It is only $4.00 more for a tank of gas and when you get 2-4 mpg more you recupe your money and then some.
More power, better mpg and longer engine life. You can pay alittle now or alot later.

Old 11-04-2007, 06:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

and premium is still less than diesel [:@]

Old 11-04-2007, 09:58 PM
Overlanding

Yes but coming from europe and the UK I can assure you that you get much better mileage from Diesel, I ran a 1995 Range rover and always returned 25 + but do prefer the petrol..............or did before gas prices climbed. We need to pressurize LR to give us the option, when I left the UK the diesel unit being used was a 5 cylinder BMW and it was so clean no catalyst was needed. Be assured LR USA are using mushroom management, keeping you in the dark and feeding you bull s..t. PS the diesel was also very quiet

Old 11-05-2007, 06:11 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

True.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:57 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know why any company would want to limit their sales.
If LR would bring all their line here (N.A.)I think LR would not be
up for sale yet again.

Quick Reply: octane rating?