Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

octane rating?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 10:13 AM
b c
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: octane rating?

Well.... It does appear that If the U.S. auto manufacturers finaly get it together and start offering small block deisel powered cars , the cost of diesel will be so high that it won't help the average driver save a buck. I noticed last week that diesel at our local cheapest gas station was 44 cents higher than reg.- Whats up with that ? I can remember(just barely) when I started driving 40 years ago, reg gas was right around 23cents / gal at that time diesel was 10 cents! Les than half the cost of reg.! Its true!
Anyhow... I would love to find a way to have a nice 4 or 5 cylinder diesel in a disco even if I have to give up some power. I've looked into conversions. The disco is so nice to drive if we could just get some mileage.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have read that by using lower octane fuel, your engine's cpuwill detune and produce less horse power and lower your miles per gallon. It would be great if midgrade was 91 since premium is 93 at most stations around my area.True the difference is only a few dollars per tank, however in some places the credit card companys limit your amount you can spend.......

Old 11-05-2007, 07:03 PM
Three Wheeling

Flame suit on.

I have only had my 98 Disco for about 6 months. With 87 octane I get
15.7 mpg consistently. I just ran 5 tanks of 91 octane and
had a best of 15.1 and averaged 14.6 mpg. I can tell no difference in
performance.

I wanted to run the comparison before I installed my new 8mm wires and
plugs.

Mike

Old 11-08-2007, 04:21 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Octane is a measure of gasoline's volatility. Higher octane means it is more stable, combusts best at higher compression, and is less prone to premature detonation under pressure (pinging), all things being equal. Your engine is designed to operate most effeciently at a specific octane level (determined primarily by its compression ratio), so in general you should always use what the manual calls for. Conversely, using high octane fuel in engines designed for lower octanes can create drivability problems associated with incomplete combustion because the engine creates less pressure than the fuel requires. Of course, some newer vehicles are engineered with knock sensors and can actively adjust the timing to compensate for reduced octane. In those vehicles in some cases, it is permissable to use a lower octane as stipulted in the owners manual, however, generally perrformance is sacrificed. Also note that octane rating at the pump is an average of two different methods of determing octane. One is research octane, and the other is motor octane. If you look for it, the next time you're pumping gas, you'll notice R+M/2 on the octane rating sticker. This means it is possible that two different gasolines with the same octane rating, may have significantly different research and motor octane measurements, and can perform differently in your vehicle. Unfortunately, the majority of the damaging pinging that occurs is inaudible, so choose your source wisely, and pay attention to how your vehicle feels and sounds under load and during acceleration to prevent carbon build up and premature failure.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:29 PM
b c
Mudding

whew! you said a mouthful Jigray3! Sounds like you know what you're talking about. How do you figure Sooners gets worse mileage on the higher octane?
Oh well. I'l run the mileage tests on my 98 and see how I do.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

My book says 90-92 Octane. That's Mid-grade in some areas, isn't it? Premium is 93 Octane in our area. So, theoretically, mid grade, which is cheaper than Premium should work just fine, right?

Mark G

Old 11-09-2007, 12:10 AM
Mudding

ORIGINAL: Sooners

Flame suit on.

I have only had my 98 Disco for about 6 months. With 87 octane I get
15.7 mpg consistently. I just ran 5 tanks of 91 octane and
had a best of 15.1 and averaged 14.6 mpg. I can tell no difference in
performance.

I wanted to run the comparison before I installed my new 8mm wires and
plugs.

Mike
LOL! You need the flame suit. This isone tough room to convince using the lower oct. brew [sm=badbadbad.gif]

Having said that, right now I am running my own test using 91 oct. (highest I can find here in So.Cal)

Old 11-09-2007, 12:50 AM
ajh
Winching

ORIGINAL: b c

Well.... It does appear that If the U.S. auto manufacturers finaly get it together and start offering small block deisel powered cars , the cost of diesel will be so high that it won't help the average driver save a buck. I noticed last week that diesel at our local cheapest gas station was 44 cents higher than reg.- Whats up with that ? I can remember(just barely) when I started driving 40 years ago, reg gas was right around 23cents / gal at that time diesel was 10 cents! Les than half the cost of reg.! Its true!
Anyhow... I would love to find a way to have a nice 4 or 5 cylinder diesel in a disco even if I have to give up some power. I've looked into conversions. The disco is so nice to drive if we could just get some mileage.
Keep in mind diesel engines were originally designed to run on peanut oil. The advantage of a diesel is the option to be 60% petroleum free during the winter, and 100% petroleum free during warmer months (depending on your local climate).

If you're not aware of how this is a national security concern and the fact it has not been made a top priority by various North American governments you'll need to catch up a bit. The other major advantage is a significant reduction in toxic emissions, about 95-99% depending on the toxin when switching off petroleum based fuels.

This is why not having diesel engines available is so infuriating, it removes the option of not contributing to the above issues.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:48 AM
TReK

ORIGINAL: jigray3

Octane is a measure of gasoline's volatility. Higher octane means it is more stable, combusts best at higher compression, and is less prone to premature detonation under pressure (pinging), all things being equal. Your engine is designed to operate most effeciently at a specific octane level (determined primarily by its compression ratio), so in general you should always use what the manual calls for. Conversely, using high octane fuel in engines designed for lower octanes can create drivability problems associated with incomplete combustion because the engine creates less pressure than the fuel requires. Of course, some newer vehicles are engineered with knock sensors and can actively adjust the timing to compensate for reduced octane. In those vehicles in some cases, it is permissable to use a lower octane as stipulted in the owners manual, however, generally perrformance is sacrificed. Also note that octane rating at the pump is an average of two different methods of determing octane. One is research octane, and the other is motor octane. If you look for it, the next time you're pumping gas, you'll notice R+M/2 on the octane rating sticker. This means it is possible that two different gasolines with the same octane rating, may have significantly different research and motor octane measurements, and can perform differently in your vehicle. Unfortunately, the majority of the damaging pinging that occurs is inaudible, so choose your source wisely, and pay attention to how your vehicle feels and sounds under load and during acceleration to prevent carbon build up and premature failure.

Well said.
If you are getting the same mpg on lower octane are you sure
that its not the same fuel.
Some people will sell 87 as 92 and most people will never
know.
Always use a national brand as they have oversight on whats in the tanks.
You can use what you want or use what your LR calls for.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:50 AM
Mudding

ORIGINAL: b c

whew! you said a mouthful Jigray3! Sounds like you know what you're talking about. How do you figure Sooners gets worse mileage on the higher octane?
Oh well. I'l run the mileage tests on my 98 and see how I do.
He is taking advantage of the the lower octane fuel's higher volatility, getting a bit of a free ride, but this works both ways. The higher volatility (lower octane) fuel in a high compression engine means the fuel begins to combust on its own under load, or in the presence of heated deposits, or simply due to residual heat from a spark plug before the piston reaches the top of its stroke. This means the piston is trying to compress the explosion already occurring in the cylinder. If you want to kill an engine prematurely, this will do it.

Quick Reply: octane rating?