Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oh the wet carpet ordeal...seems so common here?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 12:46 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oh the wet carpet ordeal...seems so common here?

Ok, so I'm new here and I've read so much about the Disco. and poor drain designs creating leaks into the interior.

I recently bought my Disco, an '04 with 17,400 miles. I picked it up from the dealer two weeks ago in Tennessee as I purchased off eBay. I noticed the carperts were slightly damp but figured the dealer just shampooed the carpet. Didn't think much of it. As soon as I got it home I took the mats out and let it dry out for a couple of days. Problem gone...or so I thought.

I had my disco at the dealer in Tacoma last week for an oil change. They washed and waxed it while it was there. A day later I noticed it was very, very humid inside and investigated. The carpet was absolutly saturated. I'm talking water was at the top of the carpet fibers and seaping out by the rocker panels. Heart Broken is an understatement!

So I read here it's a very common problem with an easy solution. I paid a lot of money for what I thought would be a nice vehicle. I don't think I should have to fix this myself.My question is...should I go back to the Land Rover dealer and make a big issue of this? or suck it up andjust repair the drains myself.

Plenty of warrenty left should this be a dealer issue? I figure it would be a start in tracking issues in case I will ever need to file for lemon law.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Curt

[IMG]local://upfiles/7087/DFCCC63C967C4CD78A03F479AE97A932.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-07-2007, 07:27 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: Oh the wet carpet ordeal...seems so common here?

Just get under the truck and clean out your a/c drains, no big deal, this can happen to any vehicle that has ever run the a/c when o a dusty road.
Mike

Old 08-07-2007, 07:44 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Follow this link. It shows the passenger side drain. Once you get under there, you should be able to see the driver's side. Good luck! very common problem...

https://landroverforums.com/m_26488/tm.htm

Old 08-07-2007, 10:26 AM
Three Wheeling

Curt,

I think you got a great deal on your Disco. It's a '04 + the mods- I saw that listing on eBay. That Disco is awesome. I came to the realization that these cars have a personality of their own at times. (quirky stuff, but their performance outweighs any of their quirkness). If you ran a Carfax report prior to buying the vehicle, you should be fine. I wouldn't even think you bought a lemon (especially when you bought it directly from a Land Rover dealership).

How many miles have you logged since the purchase?

Old 08-07-2007, 11:29 AM
Mudding

I've put about 3200 miles since buying it two weeks ago. almost all in the drive back from Tenn. to Tacoma. Haven't had any problems other then the wet carpet and now the wet dog musty smell. It was a big disapointment is all but confident it's a simple solution.

I too don't think it's a lemon but I know if for whatever reason I need to make a case that it is then it's best to start the record now.

No issues at all other then the carpet. I did run the carfax and the Rover dealer I bought it from sold it originally new in '04 and did all the maint.

Thanks for the words,

Cheers,
Curt

Old 08-07-2007, 01:01 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Curt.
A good Rover owner needs to know what he has and enjoy it, there will always be little issues, but you have even a better truck then the few little issues.
Also, don't waste your time keeping score, there is no lemon law available to you as a second owner on a near 4 year old truck, so get it fixed up and enjoy it.
Mike