Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil change problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 09:04 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil change problem

hello all!

ive done many oil changes before but never on a land rover. i cant remove the drain plug. i have a 1/2inch socket wrench that i tried using but i wont work because the wrench is too big. the socket itself fits but not with the wrench. the exhaust gets in the way. i tired using an adjustible wrench to remove the drain plug and still no luck! what do u all use to remove the drain plug? what do u recommend for me? also what size socket do i need?

im replacing the oil with valvoline 10w40 and a fram oil filter. thanks for your help

Old 10-07-2008, 09:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default RE: oil change problem

What year Discovery do you have? For the D2 a 1/2" driver is all you need for the drain plug. No socket needed. You should really consider getting a K&N 3001 or Mobil 301 oil filter instead of the Fram filter.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:18 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

We really need to know if it is a DI or DII.
And how is the exhaust in the way? The drain plug for the oil is on the bottom of the oil pan, no exhaust down there.
Are you thinking that the coolant drain plug on the side of the engine block is the oil drain plug?

Old 10-07-2008, 09:21 PM
Team Owner

One more thing, dont use the Fram oil filter. Use a NAPA, Wix, Purolator or Mopar (made by Purolator)oil filter.
While the Modil 1 and K&N oil filters are good there are not worth $10+ in my opinion.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Sounds like you need to do some light reading.
http://lrrforums.com/showthread.php?t=7569

Old 10-07-2008, 09:26 PM
Drifting

its a 95 discovery. the drain plug im trying to remove is the only one that looked to me like the oil drain plug. is on the left hand side of what looks to be like the oil pan. ill take a picture tomorrow and show you all exactly. whats in the way is a length of pipe that comes after the cat.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:26 PM
Rock Crawling

ORIGINAL: Spike555

One more thing, dont use the Fram oil filter. Use a NAPA, Wix, Purolator or Mopar (made by Purolator)oil filter.
While the Modil 1 and K&N oil filters are good there are not worth $10+ in my opinion.
I just love doing oil changes. And buying the best off-the-shelf stuff I can get for my Rover. Whatever oil and filter you do run, change it often (3000 miles) and keep an eye (weekly) on the oil level. Like Spike's signature, if it's not leaking, it's empty!

Cheers,

Pete

Old 10-07-2008, 09:35 PM
Team Owner

Yeah we need a pic, seriously, not trying to be a jerk, but you are in the wrong spot on the truck. The cats are no where near the oil drain plug.
The oil drain plug is on the lowest part of the oil sump almost directly above the front axle.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:23 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is somewhere between a 1-1/16" and 1-5/16", use a wrench. I can't remember because it has been a while, Be sure to have a can ofBrakleen ready for when it is done draining, It will be messy. Large drain plug=large oil stream.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:49 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

ORIGINAL: btbaus

its a 95 discovery. the drain plug im trying to remove is the only one that looked to me like the oil drain plug. is on the left hand side of what looks to be like the oil pan. ill take a picture tomorrow and show you all exactly. whats in the way is a length of pipe that comes after the cat.
Once you get it loose, don't install that Fram filter. They are know to allow the oil pump and filter oil to drain back into the crank case over night causing you to have dry starts in the mornings.
Also on your next oil change, consider doing an ATF flush to clean out that old engine to improve your oil flow and pressure.

Quick Reply: oil change problem