Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 12:22 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil filter

Ok, I am performing some maintenance on the new disco, I am trying to get the oil filter off and having some problems, this thing on on so tight I am crushing the oil filter,would LR have torque this filter on? The filters are not reversed threads are they?

Old 05-25-2008, 12:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Oil filter

Glad to hear I'm not the only guy who experienced this when I did my first oil change.

Personally I don't keep an oil filter wrench around because I do my own oil changes and I don't get ridiculous with cranking the oil filter on tightly when I install it. Well, when my wife bought her disco and I went out to do the oil change, I tried removing it by hand...and I'll admit that this is one of the first filters that I wasn't able to get off by hand.

I ended up having to crush it down to get a tool on it to remove it.

If anyone has any insight as to why whoever did the oil changes on these rigs cranked down on the filters so much I'd be interested in hearing the explanation.

TROUBLED-you're alright bro, get a filter wrench on it if you can and get it off. You may have to run a screwdriver through it if the wrench doesn't work. HTH bro...don't install the new filter too tightly.

Old 05-25-2008, 01:50 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

It is on to tight because the quick lube is reponsible if the filter leaks. If they change the oil and the filter leaks, or the drain plug falls out and you blow up the engine they must buy you a new one.So...they crank both the filter and the drain plug on super tight.

Buy a good filter wrench and keep it in your garage, if you still cannot get the fliter off you may have to drive a screwdriver through the filter, at the base, at use that like a handle to remove the filter.

Old 05-25-2008, 01:54 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Always put a little oil on the oil filter gasket then it will come off much easier.
Then the old oil filter gasket will not stick on the oil filter base and no double gaskets or leak.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:46 PM
Three Wheeling

Well I got the filter off and some knuckle skin, I have never bleed while changing oil always afirst.The last service was performed LR in Atlanta I guess they crank them down to. I also changed the belt which was a pain as i did not take the fan out, I know there are a couple of tools for this, I looked at the manual afterthe fact, I don't think it would be worth buying these unless you are changingthe belt every month.

this being the first time under the disco I did notice there isoil coating on just about everything thing, there is not enough any where to even drip, as i have been looking for oil in my drive since buying. Does everyone else have this would it be normal for adisco? I am thinking that I will try an engine degreaser and see if I can determine the source unless someone has a very good idea where to look.

Unstable
glad to hear someone else has experienced the pain haha

Old 05-25-2008, 05:52 PM
Mudding

Its an British-built vehicle. Oil will seep.

Old 05-25-2008, 06:08 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

You can always go buy an oil filter wrench. Make sure when you install another filter that you oil the seal and only go past hand tightened.
By the way, what brand of filter are you using?

Old 05-25-2008, 06:48 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Rovers leak, bottom line. If is isnt leaking then it is probally empty.
Degrease the engine. Take your ramps to the DIY carwash, run it up onto the ramps and then you can really degrease the underside.
The fan removal tool you can rent from AutoZone. Or you can buy one from Atlantic British for $15.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:06 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What you saw was a high tect anti-rust Rover only,,, yes all I have seen leak to some point,

Old 05-27-2008, 05:09 PM
Three Wheeling

Mike, I installed a K&N filter with a syn blend, I want to use the blend for the next couple of changes and then go full syn, do you see any problem with this approach.

I guess I should never have any rust then haha

I have been reseaching this issue with a couple of my door locks which will only superlock and will not unlock with the key fob or the inside lock button any ideas on this?