Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pressure test

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 07:55 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,462 Likes on 1,038 Posts

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
Would their be any symptoms other than the oil light being on that would indicate bad bearings ?
The most common cause of low oil pressure on the Discos is walked cam bearings or cracked oil pumps. The probability you have worn bearings is very small, and since you have already replaced the oil pump we can rule out a cracked oil pump. Obviously you are not comfortable with doing your own mechanical work since you already paid a mechanic for the oil pump replacement. A mechanical oil pressure gauge cost approximately $30 like the one:
https://www.amazon.com/Shankly-4350330500-Oil-Pressure-Gauge/dp/B07GYBWQC2/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=118PY0PXJ9A5A&keywords=mechanical+oil+pressure+gauge+kit&qid=1568594758&s=gateway&sprefix=mechanical+oil+presur%2Caps%2C135&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExRFBQM0hSU1g1NVBTJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODEzOTYwRlRPRDNISk5SSTZFJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAzNzAxNDIxNFFYTkVKOVFGQzZRJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ== https://www.amazon.com/Shankly-4350330500-Oil-Pressure-Gauge/dp/B07GYBWQC2/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=118PY0PXJ9A5A&keywords=mechanical+oil+pressure+gauge+kit&qid=1568594758&s=gateway&sprefix=mechanical+oil+presur%2Caps%2C135&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExRFBQM0hSU1g1NVBTJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODEzOTYwRlRPRDNISk5SSTZFJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAzNzAxNDIxNFFYTkVKOVFGQzZRJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

It threads in to the location of your existing unit and will give you a good readout. If the cam bearings are worn, they can be replaced in the car by a competent mechanic or a DIY'er with reasonable instructions but it requires almost complete disassembly of the engine (I replaced the head gaskets while I was there), however it will likely cost almost as much as a complete used replacement from Will Tillerey or one of the other guys on the forum breaking their Discos. If the rod and main bearings are worn, those can be replaced in car as well but the cam bearings are likely worn also and would need replacing anyway. If you are not going to work on it yourself, you probably should start thinking about a replacement engine, or truck.

PM me if you need more specific advice - I have had 12 of these have had my hands down in more than a few engines.

Good luck

Old 09-16-2019, 05:28 AM
TReK
Received 393 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Extinct
The most common cause of low oil pressure on the Discos is walked cam bearings or cracked oil pumps. The probability you have worn bearings is very small, and since you have already replaced the oil pump we can rule out a cracked oil pump. Obviously you are not comfortable with doing your own mechanical work since you already paid a mechanic for the oil pump replacement. A mechanical oil pressure gauge cost approximately $30 like the one: https://www.amazon.com/Shankly-43503...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

It threads in to the location of your existing unit and will give you a good readout. If the cam bearings are worn, they can be replaced in the car by a competent mechanic or a DIY'er with reasonable instructions but it requires almost complete disassembly of the engine (I replaced the head gaskets while I was there), however it will likely cost almost as much as a complete used replacement from Will Tillerey or one of the other guys on the forum breaking their Discos. If the rod and main bearings are worn, those can be replaced in car as well but the cam bearings are likely worn also and would need replacing anyway. If you are not going to work on it yourself, you probably should start thinking about a replacement engine, or truck.

PM me if you need more specific advice - I have had 12 of these have had my hands down in more than a few engines.

Good luck

I did buy s mechanical oil pressure gauge and yes it had low oil pressure when hot that’s why I got the oil pump replaced
the oil pump is not a small job I don’t have a hoist and doing this in the drive way sucks
I’m a chiller mechanic and work is always busy so just not ideal for me to tackle this

now after the pump was replaced all was fine for 2 weeks of driving
then went on vacation for 2 weeks came back and now getting oil light on almost all the time. At start up low
idle while driving etc
confirmed with my mechanic guage

i know what your saying about the bearings however when I tell my mechanic this he wants to rip out engine and take it apart to properly inspect bearings which I’m not paying for right now
this is a very reputable landy shop

could the oil pump fail so quick ? Not sure but It’s going to sit

Old 09-16-2019, 10:40 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 253 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
I did buy s mechanical oil pressure gauge and yes it had low oil pressure when hot that’s why I got the oil pump replaced
the oil pump is not a small job I don’t have a hoist and doing this in the drive way sucks
I’m a chiller mechanic and work is always busy so just not ideal for me to tackle this

now after the pump was replaced all was fine for 2 weeks of driving
then went on vacation for 2 weeks came back and now getting oil light on almost all the time. At start up low
idle while driving etc
confirmed with my mechanic guage

i know what your saying about the bearings however when I tell my mechanic this he wants to rip out engine and take it apart to properly inspect bearings which I’m not paying for right now
this is a very reputable landy shop

could the oil pump fail so quick ? Not sure but It’s going to sit
i had similar symptoms and the issue was two (2) walked cam bearings. if this ends up being your issue and you decide to fix it go with the 229 Crower cam.

Old 09-16-2019, 07:42 PM
Camel Trophy

There is no quick fix for low oil pressure, the oil pump is the easiest. I don't have a lift either, pan can come off with only jackstands, but either way its a lot of work. Will Tillerey sells shortblocks for about $400-500 with low miles. That might be faster than doing an in place repair, won't be cheaper though.

Old 09-17-2019, 06:05 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Extinct
There is no quick fix for low oil pressure, the oil pump is the easiest. I don't have a lift either, pan can come off with only jackstands, but either way its a lot of work. Will Tillerey sells shortblocks for about $400-500 with low miles. That might be faster than doing an in place repair, won't be cheaper though.
You are absolutely right, there are no quick and cheap fixes for low oil pressure, just noticed your Camaro, that is a fast one...

Old 11-05-2019, 07:26 PM
TReK

Ok folks disco has been parked Until I can figure this oil thing out
I’m going to pull the pan Saturday I’m not sure what I’ll be looking at as I’m not a engine guy
I’ll take pictures and video look around
anything specific I should look for ?
How can I tell if it’s cam bearings ?
The oil comes on even on a cold start sometimes it goes away sometimes it stays
If I take good pictures will you guys be able to tell what’s going on ?

Old 11-06-2019, 05:32 AM
Camel Trophy

we we will be able to tell if the problem is walk Cam Bearing or bad rod or main bearings, but you definitely need to test the oil pressure and post up the numbers here for you pull that pan

Old 11-06-2019, 12:03 PM
TReK

Can I inspect and or test the pressure relieve valve on the pump ? Without taking to much apart ?

Old 11-06-2019, 02:59 PM
TReK

Ok so the disco has been sitting for about 6 weeks today I decided to look further into it
here is the the pictures I took today
is this port ok to take pressure from ?
because if it is I have good pressures and mi light is still on and off
tomorrow I can recheck this time using the oil pressure switch port which I did before and I did have low pressure
any ideas what’s going on here

Last edited by redwhitekat; 11-06-2019 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-06-2019, 06:26 PM
Camel Trophy

That port is fine, I wish the gauge had better resolution. Is that the gauge that came with the kit you bought? A 500psi gauge? really? I could see 200 maybe, but 500 is not good. Gauges are normally rated for 1% accuracy, so on your gauge that is +/-5psi, not critical I guess. Anyway, you do have ok oil pressure - what was the engine temp when these readings were taken? Test it again, start stone cold, let it idle 30 minutes, show me the pressure at the end of 30. My guess is you have a bad sender/oil light at this point. Now that you know how to install a oil pressure gauge you may want to think about putting a permanent kit in, maybe like this: https://www.innovatemotorsports.com/...-p-n-3913.html You can install the temp sender inline in the throttle body hose and the oil pressure sender in a T with the factory switch - program alarms for low oil pressure and high temperature.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure test