Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 07:18 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pump

Based on a vin series, is there truth to a series of production vins that meet a bad oil pump? Ive heard of this but there is no subtantiating proof thet this is true? What is the idea with that?

Old 02-25-2008, 07:30 PM
Administrator
Received 101 Likes on 83 Posts
Default RE: oil pump

There is all the proof you need, there is a TSB spelling out the whole issue and range of vin. numbers.
Need to do some more reading.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:41 PM
Drifting

Well thanks for the decree. Im sure that the proof is in the pudding. Unless, you wanna chastise me for being an idioit. Are you being sarcastic or are you yanking my chain? Im here to reinforce what I have learned not to be talked to like Im a child.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:45 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes there is a TSB and yes there is a bad built period that has faulty oil pumps.
There are lots of posts on here about '03's with exploding oil pumps.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:47 PM
Drifting

Sorry Im Forward. I dont like being treated as if I were 10. Ive lived a lifetime doing that.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:49 PM
Drifting

Thanks Spike.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:02 PM
Drifting

Sorry Mike, I feel Like Im being hosed with this vehicle which I love. I am not sure what to believe with what Ive read or learned. I understand the fact that this truck is finicky, which I love about it but, Im disconcerned with the fact I dont know anything about it. Please treat me like I need to know all these things about my vehicle, not as if Im a four year old child. Thanks man. I really appreciate it.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think Mike was treating you like a child. He gave you the answer to your question and suggested you do some more reading. I suggest you follow his advice. I own one of the risky VIN numbers and it's got over 100,000 miles on it with no problems so far. Some others experienced problems. It is what it is.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:30 AM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to interject here, but Land Rover has left the owners of these affected VIN#'s between a rock and a hard place on this one. I just posted this on my own thread - here is the meat of TSB verbatim:

Whenever an oil pump failure is encountered on vehicles within the above VIN range
the only effective repair currently available is replacement of the complete engine
assembly
including the front cover/oil pump manufactured to the latest tolerances. Italics added for emphasis.

You can interpret the above statement any way you want but the bottom line is still the same: When the original oil pump fails or otherwise needs to be replaced, an "off the shelf" replacement cannot be fitted properly. Read it again. That's what it says. Ain't gonna work. You need a new pump, you need a new engine. End of story. Official statement from the horse's mouth.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:29 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

well sure. Most people keep running their engine without oil pressure. This will toast the engine, and there is no point in replacing the front cover and pump if the block is toast.

If you think the oil pump is bad, or going bad, get a new front cover. The pump is mated to the cover, so you have to replace both at the same time. LR replaces the block so that
1)- they won't have to mess with it twice
2)- so they can sell you a new block without having to mess with it anymore.

Just because they say that in the TSB does not mean you HAVE to replace the block, it just means that if an LR dealership does the work, this is how they HAVE to do it.

Quick Reply: oil pump