Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil refill now oil ligh on.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 10:42 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil refill now oil ligh on.

I have an oil light at Idle goes off when reving

I have a 2003 ( ive heard about the oul Pumps on 03 ) and light comes off when reving . and just refilled the oil compartment with a 5w50 oil.. I got the light right after that .. I´m also hearing a tic tic tic under the engine witch I heard before the refill.

Ill do a complete flush tomorrow. but any heads Up or things I should check. I also read about Mikes Oil pressure Check. and will do so as well

I was wondering if I could drive the truck and save on a tow since shop is only 4 minutes drive.

Last oil change was about a year ago but I only Put less than 15K that year. I only Use It when going to my fathers ranch.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by javoli002
I have an oil light at Idle goes off when reving

I have a 2003 ( ive heard about the oul Pumps on 03 ) and light comes off when reving . and just refilled the oil compartment with a 5w50 oil.. I got the light right after that .. I´m also hearing a tic tic tic under the engine witch I heard before the refill.

Ill do a complete flush tomorrow. but any heads Up or things I should check. I also read about Mikes Oil pressure Check. and will do so as well

I was wondering if I could drive the truck and save on a tow since shop is only 4 minutes drive.

Last oil change was about a year ago but I only Put less than 15K that year. I only Use It when going to my fathers ranch.
Holy crap! 15,000 miles since your last oil change? Your probably clogged up with gunk and sludge like the castrol commercials!!! If it's a tickin then your probably not getting good enough pressure and I wouldn't drive it anywhere. Flush it and check the oil pressure, then get back to us.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:10 AM

ditto... and as hot as these engines get, I wouldn't use 5W anything. 15W-50 for me, but I live in the South... some of you Yankees and Cowboys might use something a little thinner like 10W when it's snowin'.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:52 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks Discover Carolina Ill put something as thick as I can get since I live like 3 000 milles south from You in Flu Land ( Mexico City )
I´m on my way to the shop and feel like I should say sorry to my Disco.
Well At least I have new Wires, Plugs and air Filter, And I serviced differentials, T case and Trany last week.
How often do you change oil in your disco?

Old 06-19-2009, 08:07 AM

Depending on your mileage, you should be good with 10W or 15W - whatever. As I said, I use 15W-50 because that's what I use in my bike (buy several gallons of the same stuff at one time), because of the temps here, and also because the engine has over 75K miles on it. After this amount of miles, the bearing surfaces are a bit greater (which may have led to your tic, tic, tic and oil light).

I drive mostly highway miles in my little commuter Mazda pickup, and very little stop and go driving. I use synthetic oil and change it approximately every 5K miles.

My daughter (owner of the Disco) is using it for basically stop-and-go driving, around town, to and from school/work, etc. I put regular dino oil in hers and will help her change it at approximately every 3K miles.

You live in Mexoco City (the most populist in this hemisphere if not the world) where I imagine traffic is a nightmare. I would change your oil at least every 3K, more frequently if you live outside the paved areas where it is dusty/high dirt in the air. Use a high detergent oil, and change it often. I wouldn't use synthetic in your case because of the interval, it would be kind of a waste.

Others may have opinions as well. It is a testament to the durability of these trucks that you haven't had an oil related problem (or maybe you're extreemly lucky! )

Last edited by Discover' Carolina; 06-19-2009 at 08:13 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:30 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just remember that is your engine is clogged, the thicker oil will get stopped a lot easier than thinner. I think 15W50 is way tooo thick. The bottom number is the viscosity when it is cold, and the top number is the vicosity while at operating temperature. Flush it and use 10W40.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:38 AM
Administrator
Received 101 Likes on 83 Posts

You need to do a engine flush, then change the oil, using a 10W/40 to a 20W/50 and a good filter, like a Mobil 1-301 or a K&N 3001, no Frams. Watch the oil and if it get dirty at around 1200 to 1500 miles, change it again.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:44 PM
Three Wheeling

Just Back from the Shop.

They told me that I should Use a 20w-60 witch was put In as well as a new LR oil Filter. Light went Off for about 20 Minutes then Back on At Idle and goes Back off when reving.

Right before It went back on I accdelerated Hard went to about 70 MPH then back to stop and noticed a small oil cloud and smell Light came one Inmidiately after that.

Shop is telling me they will do the compression test but must Likely Its loosing pressure.

I only Used it on the highway and temperatures down here are hardly ever over 90.

Depression and Flu has hit really hard down here and for the first time I´m seriously thinking of selling my truck witch I Love.

I´m tyred of spending more and more money on It. besides a drive motorcycles in the city on a daily basis.

Would you guys sell ?

Old 06-19-2009, 04:36 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yeah where you live 20w-50 or 15w-50 is what is needed, to thin of a oil will get even thinner when it gets hot and can reduce your oil PSI.

Sounds like your oil pump is toast, sorry.

No I would not sell, I would just replace the oil pump and keep driving it.
And like DiscoCarolina said, if you use full synthetic change it every 5,000 miles, if you use the cheap stuff every 3,000 miles.
Land Rover recommendes every 7,500 miles or once a year, whichever is sooner.
Waiting to long to change it will increase wear on all the moving parts inside the engine.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:42 PM
Winching

5w50 was a decent choice, but being a 5wXX it will thin out a little more than a 15w50 or 20w50. Being in mexico you can also try 15w50. The 20w60 would be great too. How hot does it get? If it gets 90+ then the 20w60 would be great.

You can use this stuff to "flush" / clean your engine. It is the best stuff out there to clean an engine. auto-rx.com

I also recommend a filter with a better ADBV than the stock filter. Something like the Mobil 1 or K&N filter would do nicely.

I highly doubt your engine "sludged" up because of the 15K mile interval. 99% sure all 5w50's are synthetic. But just about all 5w50's are only good for 5000-7500 miles. 10000 is Really pushing it, only some specialty oils can last 10000 or so. The problem with rover engines is the oil gets diluted with Fuel Very very fast. The fuel in the oil really screws it up and causes more wear and less protection ect..

I wouldn't leave the oil in the disco for more than 5000 miles or so. So an oil change around every 3000-5000 miles.
What are your past oil change intervals?

Last edited by Jupiter Rover; 06-19-2009 at 04:48 PM.

Quick Reply: oil refill now oil ligh on.