Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil viscosity?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 02:45 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Email sent.

I think it's fairly tame, never been out with these folks before, but from the pictures I've seen of some of their groups it's a mix of stock/lightly modded rigs. I'm 100% stock right now, but will probably have my 2" lift and Duratracs on by then.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm really hoping i can make it to that event. should be putting tires on this week.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:04 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice! Look forward to seeing you out there!

Old 03-01-2011, 10:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by aarons02
Snafu, let me know if anything helps your engine noise. I think my rig sat for awhile also before i bought it, and the previous owner neglected maintenance.

The MMO is also good for gas to, and its a lot less expensive than he lucas fuel treatment. You Only need to add like 4 ounces of it at a fill up. And a decent size bottle is inexpensive. Good luck.
Might go with the Valve Medic next time around. I did the seafoam in the oil today and changed it tonight. I put in the Rotella 5W40 this go around (10W40 M1 last time) to give it a try, and it was cheaper and I don't plan to keep it in too long.
Also, I used to use MMO on my old beater Jetta Diesel. The stuff did work and thought about throwing it in this one too. Maybe I will give it a whirl!
So far, the noise is the same with after the cleaning and the new oil. I will give it a few weeks and see from there!

Old 03-02-2011, 03:45 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I think it just takes time to clean these engines out if they were neglected. Doesn't seem like they can be neglected like most newer cars could. Sounds like alot of guys on forum are hearing sounds of some sort with Rovers they bought.

It Took my 02 Rover 15,000 miles, good oil, and or Valve medic finished it off before i finally really noticed a positive change. Was the 5-7 MMO cycles, and flush that worked, with the 5-40 Rotella.

I did try seafoam to couple times, but it didn't seem to pull out as much crap as MMO or the valve medic did. Now She Purs minutes after startup, and occasionaly tick comes back when its warm at low RPM, but it at least sounds like it will make it another 50k miles -100k.....please. Hopefully yours will improve over time to.

I have a 65 impala with a 283. I have Had it for 15 years, was my high school car. When engine was due for a rebuild, and was losing power badly;You could tell the 283 was done at 90,000 miles. But..... it still never sounded as ****y as my Rover. Even though it was losing compression. It never had ticking type sounds.

Rover has noise issues, but engine has power still.So maybe these old Buick blocks, just are not tight engines, and make alot of noise? This is what i want to believe anyways.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle

This is by far the noisiest engine I have owned (sans the diesel) but I knew that going in. I would like it to be a bit better or piece of mind. I'd be happy getting 25K of good solid miles out of it. Being the extra car and beater that would be maybe 3 years.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:01 AM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dumped a Qt of MMO in mine and drove 100 miles, it was dead quiet for a week after that and then the ticking slowly returned. The oil was black as hell when I drained it after 1000 miles, so it did it's job. The ticking is back with the fresh oil, so wtf? I say drive the friggin thing until whatever is ticking breaks off and drops into the oil pan.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:10 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL. I have been trying to adopt that philosophy. I think its time. No point in stressing

Old 03-02-2011, 10:22 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aarons02
...Rover has noise issues, but engine has power still. So maybe these old Buick blocks, just are not tight engines, and make alot of noise?...
FWIW, this is pretty much what my friend who is an independent Rover mechanic says. OK...when he actually says it, it comes out as, "Quit worrying. It just sounds like an old Disco engine with over 100k on it. They all sound like that."

Old 03-02-2011, 11:32 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Bundu
I dumped a Qt of MMO in mine and drove 100 miles, it was dead quiet for a week after that and then the ticking slowly returned. The oil was black as hell when I drained it after 1000 miles, so it did it's job. The ticking is back with the fresh oil, so wtf? I say drive the friggin thing until whatever is ticking breaks off and drops into the oil pan.
I plan on running this oil for maybe 500-750 miles then putting the MMO in for 250 and changing out. After that screw it... just do the oil and hope for the best!

Quick Reply: Oil viscosity?