Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok I need some help

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 06:29 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok I need some help

Hello all,

A little background first. I bought my Disco II in November and didn't have any issues off the bat. I slowly started to develop what sounded like the loose sleeve problem I've read about but it was off and on. In the last 2 months though the sound have kind of transformed dramatically, and now its more of a grinding, loose ball bearing, metallic sound that speeds up with the RPMs. Its especially noticeable in idle and dies away significantly with acceleration.

I've also noticed and you will hopefully be able to see and hear this from the video that you can hear the noise MUCH more if your down under the vehicle and quite muted if you're just up over the engine. Anyway here's the video.

Also just for reference I drive it maybe twice a week, so obviously I haven't put a lot of mileage on it. If you have any questions, please shoot. Thanks all.

EDIT: Updated with potential bad cat video. It may not be obvious from the video but the sound is definitely coming from inside.

Last edited by sfidelisrp; 10-04-2014 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:48 PM
Drifting

Thats a peculiar sound. Honestly its hard to diagnose from video. I had a strange grinding screaching noise that was the water pump pully bolts were loose. It increased with slight throttle and quieted down with higher rpms. It rattled through out the motor and took 4 days to finally track down. Im not saying its not what you may think it is as I said its difficult to diagnose from your vid but maybe it could be something simpler thats echoing throughout the engine. Good luck

Old 09-29-2014, 08:37 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Ah that's easy.
Catalytic convertor - chunks are loose in there and bouncing around.
Probably makes a lot of noise when you go up a steep hill.

When the truck is cool - beat on the catalytic convertors with your fist - see if you can hear that noise.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:38 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by jfall
Ah that's easy.
Catalytic convertor - chunks are loose in there and bouncing around.
Probably makes a lot of noise when you go up a steep hill.

When the truck is cool - beat on the catalytic convertors with your fist - see if you can hear that noise.
Updated the OP. Is this what your talking about? I suppose that's not good.

Old 10-04-2014, 01:32 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Weld in a cat or get a new y-pipe.

Old 10-04-2014, 03:53 PM
4th Gear

I don't have any means to weld anything so just getting a replacement cat would involve a shop visit. I would also want to just knock out the other one as well as replace all the O2s because of my OCD.

Would just getting a new Magnaflow Y-Pipe and replacing it with that be something I could do myself without any special tools? I've done plenty of vehicle work on this and other cars, just never any welding jobs. I also haven't had a chance to get back under the vehicle to see what it would involve.

Old 10-04-2014, 04:50 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

it same as any other exhaust your challenge will be to get the nuts or studs to back out without breaking.
Buy yourself a big can of PB Blaster and start soaking everything.
Replacing the O2's will save you a lot of unnecessary wrenching trying to reuse the old ones.
especially if they age are unknown.

Old 10-05-2014, 11:58 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

You can buy that whole Y pipe cat assy from Rover's North or one of those thereby stealing from your kid's college savings.
But that's another story for a different day..

see here for the same operation on a D1

http://jeffreyfall.com/landrover

Old 10-06-2014, 08:15 PM
Drifting

I bought the walker y-pipe from summit racing for $488. Free ship through ebay. I liked the merge collector used. It matches the exhaust manifolds two exit ports. Flow is everything with exhaust. All the other brands use the factory style clamshell ( 2 peices of metal clamped together with no thought of flow which is cheap and fast to make) collector. Fits nicely with no issues.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:00 AM
4th Gear

I've never heard of walker. Quality? How long have you had it on?

Quick Reply: Ok I need some help