Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok, so what's with this no-front-running-lights thing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 10:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [SOLVED] Ok, so what's with this no-front-running-lights thing?

On my '00 D2, as I gather with most other D2s, even though it's NAS, it has headlights (high and low beam), driving lights, and turn signals... but *no front running lights* (which on US vehicles are usually a low wattage filament in the turn signal bulb).

I gather this is the standard configuration -- not to have front amber running lights -- from things people have said in other postings.

I would have thought that violated the law, but in fact, I've just read Florida's laws, and to my amazement I can't see anything that actually requires running lamps on the front.

Whiskey Tango Fox, Query.

Last edited by Baylink; 12-20-2009 at 12:51 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:01 PM
Rock Crawling

In fact, table 3 of this page, 49CFR571, the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, section 108, says that "parking lamps" (which is what those are called) are in fact required:

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text....2.7.8&idno=49

... and that's the magic word. FS 316.229 requires that you display parking lamps when you're, well, parked:

http://leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/inde...20229#0316.229

though low-beam headlights are acceptable parking lamps, which I guess is how they get away with it.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:22 PM
Mudding

d1's don't have them either. in the usa you don't need to have city lights i guess if you really think you need lights in the front of your vehicle you might as well have your headlights on. in Canada its a law to have some sort of lights in the front of your car on at all times.

all are "DRL" are is the rear lights and the amber front side markers.

i guess if you really want to get picky about the light laws. i think there is something about how the the front turn signal lights should be on when the headlights are on. this is not the case with my d1 anyway, the only flash when i signal. most cars are like this in Europe also.

doesn't bother me.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:32 PM
Rock Crawling

What I'm accustomed to for Daytime Running Lamps is *just* the low beam (or an even lower beam; they're signalling, not illuminating) of the headlight fixture, *and nothing else*; parking lamps/taillamps may be off when the DRLs are lit.

They're required in Canada, and they *tried* to push them through in the US in the early 90s, but failed, for reasons I don't remember. US market cars from that era sometimes have them, especially if they were Canadian market as well, but most current ones don't.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:36 PM
Mudding

yeah, i got you, im not sure about the d2 but the d1 doesnt have them.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:57 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Ok, here is the low down on this...your "city lights" are burnt out.
There is a "peanut" bulb that goes inside the head lamp so when you have your parking lights on this little bulb lights up, it puts out almost no light but people can see you.
In England (so I have been told by several people) it is illegal to drive in small towns with your headlights on.
The towns are so small that the houses are on the street kinda thing, no front yards, street, sidewalk, front door.
So if you have your headlights on they will shine into peoples homes.
Imagine living on the first floor of a apartment here in the US and your neighbor comes home from work at 11pm and shines his headlights into your living room.
Same thing.
All DI's and DII's have these little bulbs, they are like $5 for a 2 pack at AutoZone.

Day time running lights and these are NOT the same thing.
If you want DRL's on your Disco take it to the dealer and with a simple hooking up of their computer they can turn them on for you.
Should take all of 10 min.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:50 PM
Rock Crawling

[ inspects headlight fixtures ]

So I do. Missed those. I'll have to get the replacement bulbs for them. Thanks.

I *never* want DRLs. If I turn the light switch off, I don't want lights on; that's why I turned it off...

Old 12-20-2009, 03:01 PM
Mudding

Does anyone else out there feel that driving with only your parking lamps on at say 6:30 or dusk is cool.... Its not, Its just plain dangerous. That is all

Old 12-20-2009, 04:09 PM
Overlanding

im seriously thinking about wiring in dual filaments for the corner turn lights :O

Old 12-20-2009, 04:18 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Nfbeckman
Does anyone else out there feel that driving with only your parking lamps on at say 6:30 or dusk is cool.... Its not, Its just plain dangerous. That is all
I agree, those people need to be shot.

I have written to the Governor or MI several times with no luck to pass a law that if your windshield wipers are on your headlights must also be on no matter the time of day.
I am so sick and tired of people driving in the snow and rain with no lights on.

Quick Reply: Ok, so what's with this no-front-running-lights thing?