Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OME Lift on the way

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 01:53 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default OME Lift on the way

I finally pulled the trigger and ordered my OME lift today. I figure it was a good use for my retirement money. At least I know my lift will be worth something in a couple months which is more than I can say for stocks right now. I am going to do the install myself and wanted some input from you guys that have done this. Anything specific I should watch for while I am doing the install? Any tricks to make it easier? Going to pick up a spring compressor and some taller jack stands, should I also get a second floor jack while I am at it? I am thinking the last lift I installed we used 2 floor jacks to lower and raise the axles but that was on an old GMC pickup. Any suggestions anyone has will be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-14-2009, 04:01 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You are jobless, why in the hell did you buy a lift?

Get a bottle jack so that you can press the axles down farther than they are supposed to go and you wont need spring compressors.
I think discoweb has a write up on this.
Jack up the truck, remove the brake lines from the calipers, use the bottle jack to push the axle down far enough to wiggle the new spring in place, this is assuming that you didnt go nuts on the lift size.
But with the full floating axles on a DI they will flex as far as you want them too, or at least until the other side hits something.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:09 AM
TReK

Nothing too crazy, just 2 inches. I actually wasn't kidding about spending my retirement money. I cashed out my 401k since there wasn't much in there and used part for the payment on my Dodge and the rest for my lift. If I'm still jobless at the end of April (and still have a little sanity) I'm going to Moab with a group from here including Disco Mike so I wanted the lift.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:58 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 03-15-2009, 10:32 AM
Recovery Vehicle

yeah just remember to take a lot of pics I want to see them

Old 03-15-2009, 07:16 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by AK Rover
Nothing too crazy, just 2 inches. I actually wasn't kidding about spending my retirement money. I cashed out my 401k since there wasn't much in there and used part for the payment on my Dodge and the rest for my lift. If I'm still jobless at the end of April (and still have a little sanity) I'm going to Moab with a group from here including Disco Mike so I wanted the lift.
My IRA has tanked too, but now is the best time to add to it, stocks are cheap right now so you get more for your money, and then when the market comes back I will have more than I normally would have.
If you had 100 shares worth $100 before the crash and your same 100 shares are only worth $50 right now...but you still have 100 shares.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:10 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by AK Rover
Don't blame the purchase of your lift on my invitation to go to Moab with us.
But I understand, I am already stretching my disability money and it will be tight for me also, but worth it.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:50 PM
Winching

Better cash your 401K before obama takes it!! lol.

Enjoy moab!

Old 03-15-2009, 10:06 PM
TReK

I still have my IRA that I have been adding to for the past 10 years. What I cashed out was my 401k from the past year. I understand how stocks work and by the end of the year I plan to invest at least an amount equal to what I cashed out.

Even if I hadn't been invited to Moab I still would have ordered the lift. It was on the list and now that I have time to install it sounded like a good time.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the lift install is a pretty straighforward deal... the part that will most likely give you the most trouble is bushings that go on the top and bottom of the front shocks... you will probably have to fight them but they do fit... the rears are super easy... i would suggest to start with the front and get the hard part done first...

Quick Reply: OME Lift on the way