Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OME Springs, Shocks, Stabilizer installed -- what now?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 11:49 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OME Springs, Shocks, Stabilizer installed -- what now?

Installed OME springs, shocks, and steering stabilizer this weekend with the help of a friend (who knows a lot more about cars than I do). Also put on a new rotoflex at the same time. I was very impressed with the physical difference in size between the standard springs and OME springs.

The install seemed to go pretty well, and I like the the height and ride of the new set-up quite a bit. Still running the standard 255/65 R16 tires, but the lift raised my back and, particularly, my front bumpers off the ground quite a bit, which is an improvement. (The front bumper was sagging under the weight of my new ARB bull bar bumper.)

I noticed in the ARB catalogue (which is an impressive publication, by the way), that a certified technician would supposedly run all sorts of tests on the vehicle after installing the new shocks and springs--braking and alignment, I think. Is this necessary? Any potential problems related to the lift that I should be looking out for now?

I do hear a very soft rattle/ticking sound that sounds like it's coming through the driver's side a/c vent that I don't remember from before--not sure what that is.

I'll try to post some pictures later if anyone is curious.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:53 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: OME Springs, Shocks, Stabilizer installed -- what now?

If the ticking is progressive with speed, check your front driveshaft. If you don't have grease zerks in the double cardan joint, re-build it..

Old 03-24-2008, 02:12 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

First, there is nothing that needs to be done after the install except to make sure everything is tight.
The noise that you are hearing, could it be your front drive shaft, have you already the 2 faulty u-joints in the double cardon where it hooks to the t/case?

Old 03-24-2008, 02:40 PM
Mudding

Mike, I have NOT replaced the u-joints on the front drive shaft yet. Still trying to decide whether to order a Tom Wood's or have a Ventura driveline shop rebuild my shaft. Another forum member took his shaft to Coast Driveline over the weekend, so I thought I'd wait and see how his experience turns out...

The clicking is very faint...I initially thought it might even be the paper part number tag that I had neglected to rip off the OME spring after installation. But that's not it. So you think it is likely to be my front driveshaft?

Old 03-24-2008, 08:49 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Don't wait too long, I just rode with a guy today who's u-joints are failing on his 03, real expensive when they let go.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:29 PM
Mudding

Andrew, the last time I stopped at my local shop I was talking to my mechanic when he had to excuse himself and take a call on his cell. The call was from another customer who was out-of-state on a road trip. the guy was in the middle of nowhere, on the side of the road, with a busted drive shaft and holed tranny asking for help. You need to quit talking about this and getit done.