Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

opinions on wheel spacers and coil lifts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 06:22 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default opinions on wheel spacers and coil lifts?

Came across this on ebay...

Billet s Front 2" Rear 2" Coil Spacers Body Suspension Leveling Lift Kit | eBay

4 x 2" 5x4 75 to 5x4 75 5LUG 14x1 5 Studs Wheel Adapter Spacer | eBay

Has anyone had experience with any of these? Just curious if either are a good idea or not...

Old 05-12-2013, 06:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Wheel spacers/ adapters are never really an amazing idea. Increase unsprung weight and just dangerous if not done correctly. Why do you need them?

Old 05-12-2013, 09:26 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
Wheel spacers/ adapters are never really an amazing idea. Increase unsprung weight and just dangerous if not done correctly. Why do you need them?
Hey I have been considering this as well. My wheels rub when fully locked going left. No rub going right, but I think a good set of spacers would fix it. Although I haven't done it yet because of the things you mentioned Z. Does anyone run spacers? Does anyone else's tires rub? Mine look like they rub on the frame itself.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:58 AM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Default spacers

I have been running 1" wheel spacers for almost 2 years with no issues. tires are 285/75/16 on stock wheels. I had some rub when cranked. i'm sure you'll get a lot of opinions, just letting you know from my own experience.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:51 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran spacers/wheel adapters on a couple of my vehicles with no problems. As long as you don't run too large of a spacer you will be just fine. As far as the lift just save the extra money and do it right with coils and not spacers.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:22 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I've run spacers on the front of my D1 (only the front as I did it for better turning radius) for about 11 years. I'm not sure I'd do it on a DII because of the different hub design. It would be a lot more expensive to replace the hub bearings if there were any negative effects.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:59 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bballjames
Hey I have been considering this as well. My wheels rub when fully locked going left. No rub going right, but I think a good set of spacers would fix it. Although I haven't done it yet because of the things you mentioned Z. Does anyone run spacers? Does anyone else's tires rub? Mine look like they rub on the frame itself.
Your rub can't be corrected with wheel spacer but can be fixed with a adjustable pan hard rod.
As for coil spacers, unless you are using them with a new set of H D springs, they shouldn't be used, your truck will just become more top heavy/unstable when used on old warn out coils.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:32 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Another things I'll ad is that I ran 2" coil spacers when I first bought my truck. Really they were fine under most conditions but when you start running roof racks, RTT's, camping gear, beer, hi-lift jack etc etc. The tired old coils with a spacer just don't do a good job. If I was to do it all over again, I would just save up and go straight to HD coils.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:20 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used 1.5 inch spacers for a while with no issues. Its my opinion they work fine for minor off road and on road. I eventually bought OME springs and longer shocks.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:05 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Maybe no issues in town or on fire roads, but your truck will become less stabile on the highway, especially if you have to swerve and when off road you will be more prone to the top heavy Disco on angles.

Quick Reply: opinions on wheel spacers and coil lifts?