Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Outdoor Cover

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2021, 06:40 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Outdoor Cover

[This topic may very well have an open thread somewhere but when I searched the forum for "cover" I got thousands of threads so please forgive any redundancy in advance.]

I am looking to buy an outdoor cover for my D2. The truck is parked outside in southern CA, so I mainly need to protect the paint against sun and to dust. There are several discount online vendors offering them around $150 shipped. Here is one site (which is much like the others). The basic features are:
  • 100% breathable and waterproof due to micro-porous oil based materials.
  • Inner fleece lining material ensuring vehicle`s paint is not compromised.
  • High quality UV resistant chemicals coated on the outer layer of this cover, ensuring vehicle paint never fades.
  • Reinforced grommets on both sides of the cover.
  • Hem in the front and rear allowing tuck fit.
  • Includes cable lock set for additional security.
  • Material resists mildew, mold, rot, bird droppings, snow, rain, tree sap, dirt, and acid rain.
  • Approximate Weight: 10 lbs
It has elastic at front and rear and claims to be form-fitted.

Any cover suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-14-2021, 11:04 PM
Drifting
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm also in So Cal and would love to here recommendations from others. Sun and dust are my main issues too.

Old 05-15-2021, 01:17 AM
Mudding
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

I use a Coverking Stormproof cover for my 190E. It has held up well after a year so far. It has good UV resistance. I do use a windshield sunscreen for added protection for the dash, too. The cover isn't cheap, but after dealing with a cheap cover before, I'm not upset about spending the money for a properly fitting cover that should last more than a year without disintegrating.

Old 05-15-2021, 06:10 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 185 Likes on 116 Posts
Old 05-16-2021, 01:55 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 185 Likes on 116 Posts
Old 05-18-2021, 08:27 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 442 Likes on 279 Posts

TBH, you might be better off just making sure there's always a good coat of wax on the horizontal panels. Car covers get super messy and cumbersome, and unless you put a clean cover on a clean Disco, the cover will begin wearing the paint whenever windy days arise. Sort of trading one problem for another.

Old 05-20-2021, 08:00 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TimInNova
Their sunshades are of really great quality! They're a bit expensive but they hold up like no other and have a solid warranty too. One of those you get what you pay for type things.

Old 05-21-2021, 11:02 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 442 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by y2kdisco
Their sunshades are of really great quality! They're a bit expensive but they hold up like no other and have a solid warranty too. One of those you get what you pay for type things.
Can confirm. We have them for both discos and our old tacoma. They get used every day and are definitely not treated kindly... usually ending up on the floor when not in use. And they look like new still after four years.

Old 05-21-2021, 12:38 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

I have the Covercraft Block-It series on mine (not sure if they still make it). It works as intended if your truck is parked under a carport or in a garage as mine is. Keeps dust, moisture, cat tracks from all getting on your truck. But, it is NOT for full time outside use. It leaks through during a hard rain or melting snow.

If you get something for full time outdoor use and don't want any water issues, you need to pay up and get the best there is. Most of these covers work very well until you introduce moisture and direct sunlight. That's when the materials break down over time. If moisture gets under the cover, you will have a mess.