Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overfilled Transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 10:18 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Overfilled Transmission?

2004 Disco II NAS

Had some work done the end of 2014 part of which was flushing the Transmission. I know I know, I shouldn't have and now I'm paying the price. Not sure what overcame me.

Anyway, it's been shifting weird ever since. It'll slip, sometimes hard, and go into limp mode with the M and S lights flashing with the D gear indicator. I took a guess and replaced the XYZ switch. No change.

So tonight I wanted to check the transmission fluid. Maybe it was low? NO, I pulled the fill plug and about 2 quarts of fluid came shooting out as if under pressure. I put the fill cap back on, fired it up, shifted through the gears for a minute, shut it off, and put about 1/4 quart back in until it started dribbling out the fill hole.

How the hell did they overfill the tranny?

Old 03-11-2015, 10:59 PM
Mudding
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The fluid level needs to be checked with the engine idling in park and the fluid warm. If you pull the fill plug with the engine off it's normal to lose some fluid as you did. Finish refilling it with the engine idling. See about getting your codes checked, if you had the M&S lights flashing you should have a code stored. Then diagnose further from there depending on what codes you have.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:06 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks man