Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating 2004 Discovery-Service in Norfolk, VA, Area

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 08:31 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating 2004 Discovery-Service in Norfolk, VA, Area

I was coming back from the Outer Banks yesterday morning in my 2004 Discovery (approximately 57,000 miles), headed for Ohio. The following occurred:
1.) The Service Engine Soon light came one; the engine was running fine, no hesitation etc. The manual says it is ok to drive it if the light comes on and it running with no difficulty.
2.) About two hours later, just inside the VA line near Chesapeake, VA, the coolant gauge went from normal to the red zone; the red warning light came on and the gauge dropped to the blue line at the bottom.
3.) Pulled into a c-store parking lot. The coolant was boiling in the expansion tank.
4.) Let it cool down for a couple of hours, the coolant went back into the engine. Bought a gallon of Dex Cool and added it. It took it all. Added about a half gallon of water while the engine was running to top off the expansion tank. Nothing happened. Checked the tailpipe and it was wet, water, no coolant.
Checked all the hoses for leaks, etc. None
My question is, do I have a blown head gasket or water pump issue? The engine still ran fine, no misses, etc.
Time and work necessitated leaving it at my brother-in-law's company parking lot, and renting a car to get back to Ohio.
I need to find a good independent shop in the Tidewater area to check it out and make the necessary repairs. Please advise. Thank you for your assistance and advice.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:41 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

To check for a coolant leak have it pressure tested. On thing you can do that is easy and cheap is replace your thermostat, $18 and a pair of vise grips. Is the coolant circulating, with the cap off the expansion tank and the engine running you should be able to see the coolant pumping back in.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:31 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Your temp gauge went from to hot to cold because the little amount of coolant that was in there was to hot and then once it was gone the sending unit for the temp gauge cant read the temp of empty space, it must be inmmersed in coolant inorder for it to work.
No coolant no temp gauge.
Sounds like you have a blown head gasket.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:05 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I agree, now what you need to do is call and find a good shop that has replaced head gaskets before on thes engines, plan on their sending the heads out to be inspected and resurfaced if necessary.
I am concerned as to the amount of damage done, more so because your red light came on and then the gauge dropped. There is a 50/50 chance she took too much heat and dropped a sleve meaning and engine replacement may be in order, so once you hear back from the shop with their findings and estimate, get back to us with what's up. Going rate for your engine work should be in the $1550 range pluse any machine work on the heads, so don't let them even look at the truck till they give you a real close estimate.
Good luck, and get back to us.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:40 AM
Overlanding

Everyone, thanks for the input. I really appreciate all of your input.
Does anyone out there know of a good independent shop in the Tidewater VA area? I'm back in OH and am seeing how soon I can get work started early this week. One thing I did not mention, I checked the dipstick and there appears to be no coolant in the oil. Does this change anything as far as a "diagnosis"?

Old 07-05-2009, 11:44 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

A little, if no coolant in the oil, there is less chance of a sleeve dropping.
Do a Google search for a Rover club any where near where you left it and see if they have any suggestions for a shop.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:35 PM
TReK

I'm doubting that you could have damaged your engine but by wife was driving our DII when it over heated. Thankfully she pulled over and let it cool down and then bought coolant. Inexplicably she drove home without filling it but I refilled it and then drove it for another few months (stupid, before I knew better).

I have now done my head gaskets and my engine was fine. I tell you this not so you go being dumb like me and drive round for another 2000 miles but just to show that these engines can take some abuse and keep rocking. I'm sure Disco Mike has seen worse though. I think the fact that you caught it should be OK.

I would get you head gaskets done and make sure to get your cylinder heads planed, mine were pretty warped after the overheat. Come back to us with your estimate with the cost and parts break down and we'll let you knw if it is legit.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:16 AM
Overlanding

Mike: Thank you. I looked up the VA Land Rover Club and e-mailed the contact who lives in Norfolk. No reply as of yet. Hoping to hear from him soon.
Any idea how long this type of repair takes?

Old 07-06-2009, 08:20 AM
TReK

Depends where the leaks is. Head gaskets are a 10 hour job plus time at a machine shop, so expect for your truck to be gone for a few days. Anything else is a one day kind of repair. Expect to pay $1200 to $2000 for a head gasket repair.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:28 PM
Overlanding
Default Still seeking reputable independent shop in Norfolk, VA, area

First, I want to thank everyone for their input, advice and encouragement. Contacted a local shop, recommended by a Land Rover club member, explained my plight and casually added "But I'm sure you've done this type of work before." He replied, "No, never done any engine work like this, but I'd be willing to try." I thanked him and said I'd have to think it over.
In an act of desperation, I called the Land Rover dealer in VA Beach and was quoted $2400 without any machine work on the heads; this included $700 in parts. Typical dealer-inflated prices in my opinion.
Atlantic British was just under $300 for the gasket set, new head bolts, thermostat and belt. I talked with one of their guys at length on Monday and he was very thorough with what may have to be done with a blown head gasket. He said the labor was the killer on this type of job.
So...back to square one or towing it back to Ohio and getting my local guy to do the work.
Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Overheating 2004 Discovery-Service in Norfolk, VA, Area