Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

p0304 and rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 04:52 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i did swap the plug first. looked okay. kinda smelled like gas, but figured that was because it wasn't getting spark. just for confirmation, i'm now (probably) getting misfires on both cylinders because plug wire from coil 4 (now on cylinder 6) is suspect and on cylinder 4 because it's got the wire from coil 6 and firing out of sequence? i've got new 8mm wires on the way, so i'll probably just wait and swap 'em all at once. as for the brake stuff, the lady i bought it from said that the shop told her the abs sensor needed to be replaced. done that a couple of times on my durango... hoping it's as simple on the disco.

Old 06-29-2016, 04:52 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by thatbaldguy
do i have to swap both coil and plug end?
No one answered this question for you. If you swap just the spark plug end of the wire, which sounds like what you did, you will undoubtedly get a misfire on 4 and 6: the engine (spark) management system is now telling those plugs to fire at the wrong time.

Many times, in my experience, a lone cylinder misfire can be remedied by replacing the plug and the wire to that cylinder. A bad plug can cause a wire to burn out as it tries its' darndest to deliver spark to that cylinder.

Old 06-29-2016, 04:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Yes, both coil and plug ends!

Old 06-29-2016, 04:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Exactly what NickAdams said! Beat me to it!

Old 06-29-2016, 05:00 PM
Three Wheeling

cool... that's what i figured. if i'm gonna have to go to the hassle of the wires at the coil end, gonna just wait until the new wires come in and do 'em all then. fingers crossed. excited to be part of this rover family, even if it is disfuntional (the family and the rovers)

Old 06-29-2016, 05:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Hopefully that will clear up the problem. It's a good thing you can leave it until you get the parts. I always feel bad for people who use one of these trucks as a daily driver. It's not easy! Too much stress for me. That's why I don't drive mine! LOL!!

Old 07-07-2016, 09:58 AM
Three Wheeling

okay... swapped the wires without having to remove the air intake (not nearly as bad as I thought once I moved the SAI tube) cleared the codes, cranked it up and okay for a minute. seemed to run a bit smoother, but headed down the road, flashing service engine soon. still seemed to be running much smoother. gonna swap plugs and see if that makes a difference, then maybe change them altogether. any other thoughts? thanks

Old 07-07-2016, 10:06 AM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I bought a disco2 1 month ago and had the exact same issue, flashing with P0304. I also replaced the plugs and wires with SAI. It didn't help immediately, but after 100 miles or so it cleared up.

I also cleaned and re-seated the grounding strap that connects the driver side firewall to the engine block. I would also notice the radio buffeting to the sound of the engine, after fixing up the strap w/ doing plugs and wires, shes running super smooth. I highly recommend taking a wire brush to the strap, unbolting it and re-seating it.

Old 07-08-2016, 09:11 AM
Three Wheeling

thanks samroy, will give that a shot. swapped plugs and the plug from cylinder 4 reeks of gasoline... cleared codes with same result... p0300, p0304, flashing service engine soon light. guess I'll get an inline tester to see if I'm getting anything to that plug, but that's the direction I'm leaning now... thoughts?

Old 07-08-2016, 11:28 AM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by thatbaldguy
thanks samroy, will give that a shot. swapped plugs and the plug from cylinder 4 reeks of gasoline... cleared codes with same result... p0300, p0304, flashing service engine soon light. guess I'll get an inline tester to see if I'm getting anything to that plug, but that's the direction I'm leaning now... thoughts?
It's likely not getting a spark because of the unfired gasoline. Have you tried running it at night and looking for any sparks shooting out of the coil pack or anywhere else along the wire?

Quick Reply: p0304 and rough idle