Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0441, p0451

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 10:14 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts
Default P0441, p0451

I have been going back and forth with 0441 for a few months now. First time I replaced the purge valve the issue was resolved, passed state inspection and didn't come back for 1 month. When it came back I noticed the clicking would come & go so I replaced it and once again, fine for a few weeks. Now it came back again. The gas cap not being secured correctly has brought up the same fault a time or 2 and I'm sure that it needs to be replaced. But I'm not hearing click from PV anymore. Is something else fouling up the PV at this point? My SAI has a roar to it for about 1.5-2 mins when started in the AM. I don't know how loud it's supposed to be or how long it is supposed to run as I have no means of comparison

Anyway, my question: is there one, single underlying culprit to this 0441 / 0451?
Is the gas cap giving me hell, or is it a component of the SAI?

Old 07-14-2015, 06:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

These two codes lead me to believe that you have a bad fuel tank pressure sensor. That is the component that monitors the evap system. It's located on top the the fuel tank somewhere. Most of them are in the top of the fuel pump these days, some are built in to the pump, so you have to replace the entire assembly. I'm sure someone else who's done a fuel pump on one of these more recently than I have will be able to tell you. If not do a search for a fuel tank pressure sensor for your year and model. If you get no results, or a picture of a fuel pump comes up... that might work too.

I just had to put one in my GMC, it was just a small pressure sensor that pushes into the top of the fuel pump in that case.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:38 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by disc oh no
These two codes lead me to believe that you have a bad fuel tank pressure sensor. That is the component that monitors the evap system. It's located on top the the fuel tank somewhere. Most of them are in the top of the fuel pump these days, some are built in to the pump, so you have to replace the entire assembly. I'm sure someone else who's done a fuel pump on one of these more recently than I have will be able to tell you. If not do a search for a fuel tank pressure sensor for your year and model. If you get no results, or a picture of a fuel pump comes up... that might work too.

I just had to put one in my GMC, it was just a small pressure sensor that pushes into the top of the fuel pump in that case.
Thanks for taking the time to respond. In all my time browsing this is is the first time I have heard of a fuel tank pressure sensor. I will keep this in mind as I research

Old 07-15-2015, 05:36 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I just did a quick search out of curiosity. I can't tell if it's is on top of the fuel pump or not. Sometimes they just put them somewhere on top of the tank.

More than likely this is your problem. When mine went bad, it first gave a code for a small evap leak. Then it finally got stuck at 4.9 volts which gave me a vent valve code. So nothing ever came up about the pressure sensor itself, I had to figure it out.
That's what makes diagnosing them tough. Unless they get stuck at 5v or the circuit goes open and reads 0v, you don't get a code for them. Yours is probably either stuck or the voltage is erratic, so the computer doesn't know what to do with that information.

Last edited by disc oh no; 07-15-2015 at 05:50 AM.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:10 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Okay, I just did a little more research. Some pumps have the pressure sensor on top of the pump and some don't. According to Atlantic British, there's no way to tell, even by the VIN#. You have to remove the access panel under the carpet in the back of the truck and look at it. If you have the pressure sensor on the pump, there will be two connections.
I did a search for just the pressure sensor itself and it looks like you can't get just the sensor.
Atlantic British has a short video about it, if you want to check it out.
Good luck!

Old 07-16-2015, 03:40 PM
Pro Wrench

I appreciate your time and response. thanks for everything. I printed it all out and adding it to the check list

Old 07-16-2015, 05:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by chubbs878
I appreciate your time and response. thanks for everything. I printed it all out and adding it to the check list
No problem, I hope you get it sorted out!
Good luck!

Old 08-16-2015, 01:56 PM
Pro Wrench

Update on the engine codes:

After going back and forth with these codes, I went ahead and replaced the purge valve for the 3rd time in 3 months except I upgraded to a better brand. All engine codes both pending and confirmed were resolved and real time data showed numbers back within specs. I knew when the 0420 came back for a visit that it wasn't a fuel pump switch or otherwise, but that cheap piece of $hit Dorman-made-for-Hyundai valve!

Old 08-16-2015, 08:30 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by chubbs878
Update on the engine codes:

After going back and forth with these codes, I went ahead and replaced the purge valve for the 3rd time in 3 months except I upgraded to a better brand. All engine codes both pending and confirmed were resolved and real time data showed numbers back within specs. I knew when the 0420 came back for a visit that it wasn't a fuel pump switch or otherwise, but that cheap piece of $hit Dorman-made-for-Hyundai valve!
Dang. I'm glad you worked it out. But I have the Hyundai valve too... .

Old 08-16-2015, 09:14 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
Dang. I'm glad you worked it out. But I have the Hyundai valve too... .
If you start getting any 04** codes that would be the first thing that I would replace then!

Quick Reply: P0441, p0451