Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P1171 and p1174

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2024, 01:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 188 Likes on 167 Posts

+25% STFTs indicate a vacuum leak. Try blocking the tube connections to the manifold, one by one to determine which one is leaking. Fuel pressure regulator, vapor canister, pcv, etc. Leave the power brake booster for last, or assume that is the problem if no other path makes a difference, since blocking that path disables the power brake assist.

STFT should be close to the same driving or idle, with large variations during accel and decel.

LTFT should be close to zero (+/- 5%) if no vacuum leaks, depending on normal driving elevation and atmospheric pressure, etc. Large positive values indicate vacuum leak or leaks. Resetting adaptive values sets LTFTs to zero (factory default), then they adjust during drive cycles, depending on the biases provided by STFTs.

Old 04-21-2024, 02:56 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't done a smoke test yet, since I don't own a smoke machine and the only shop that is around here that can do it wants 100 bucks and I have to wait until Friday the 26th lol.

I did clean up the PCV though I didn't modify it yet, it isnt leaking currently. Teflon and electrical tape make a good fix lol.

there is something under the upper intake, probably injector o rings, and I dont think smoke machines push enough pressure to make those leak, so I may end up wasting 100 bucks.... ugh.

Old 04-21-2024, 08:22 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 851 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by Helias86
I haven't done a smoke test yet, since I don't own a smoke machine and the only shop that is around here that can do it wants 100 bucks ...
Didn't I explain earlier today how to do a smoke test without a machine or a shop? Sheesh ...

Originally Posted by Helias86
... I dont think smoke machines push enough pressure to make those leak ...
And what is your basis for this statement? It's your hypothesis, based on conjecture only. What's the harm is trying the cigar method? Any vac leak big enough to trigger the faults your truck has is big enough for the cigar smoke test to reveal it. Sheesh ... X2.

To adapt a well-known saying, the road to hell is paved with misguided assumptions.

Try it. Whadya got to lose?

Old 04-21-2024, 08:44 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by mln01
Didn't I explain earlier today how to do a smoke test without a machine or a shop? Sheesh ...

And what is your basis for this statement? It's your hypothesis, based on conjecture only. What's the harm is trying the cigar method? Any vac leak big enough to trigger the faults your truck has is big enough for the cigar smoke test to reveal it. Sheesh ... X2.

To adapt a well-known saying, the road to hell is paved with misguided assumptions.

Try it. Whadya got to lose?
you did, actually haha.

I had done a lot of reading on the injector o-rings recently, and a lot of folks mentioned inconclusive results from a smoke test, and it still ended up being the o rings. I dunno. I'm burning the candle at both ends, and then some lately. Been so tired that some days, just breathing is a chore. Work, gym, trying to change careers, the girl, moving, etc. The Rover feels sometimes like just such a huge burden, but I love driving them *so* much, fuel mileage be damned lol. Just...the last few times, I feel I fix the problem, only ro discover more.

Cheap cars are never ever cheap.

Thanks for all the patience, internet friend.

Old 04-21-2024, 08:52 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 851 Likes on 619 Posts

Thank you for your charitable reply.

My (intended humorous) response. Give up the girl. It often ends worse than a relationship with a Rover.

In the meantime, I will try to be more charitable.

Old 04-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by mln01
Thank you for your charitable reply.

My (intended humorous) response. Give up the girl. It often ends worse than a relationship with a Rover.

In the meantime, I will try to be more charitable.

No worries! Would you mind explaining a little further, how you built/ did the smoke test? I assume the engine needs to be running for it to pull vacuum and the smoke, bur maybe I'm wrong.

Old 04-30-2024, 07:20 PM
Winching
Received 138 Likes on 100 Posts

How are the codes going?

I have P1171 and P1174 myself.

I cleared them and did a smoke test. The two places I saw smoke where the air intake to the upper manifold at the throttle body and the brake booster connection at the upper manifold.

After about 35 miles I was about to run the smog test with my Blue Driver ODB2 reader but the codes came back.

My smoke machine was about $70 on eBay and well worth it.

you don’t have the engine on while doing the test.