Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P1178 Code from autozone

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 10:06 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1178 Code from autozone

Hey guys I been having this check engine light on and its bugging the crap out of me, I had it reset twice and still get P1178 for the code when they test it, unfortunally at AUTOZONE (Crudzone more like it) They put it in the computer but there is nothing in there for Land Rover. they Show Mercedes, BMW, and Handuai (cant spell the korean car) the BMW and Merc both say O2 Sensor and the Korean Car says Open Electrical Curuit. Does anyone have any idea what the P1178 would be for the land rover? Thanks

FYI

97 Land Rover DISCO
I think SE
116,500 miles

Old 01-21-2008, 11:08 PM
Mudding
Default RE: P1178 Code from autozone

Oxy,

I'm not a D1 owner but I did a little research and dug around my Rave CD..found a place to start.

P1178 FUEL COMP which is AMFR. FMFR and AMFR stand for fuel mass flow rate and air mass flow rate, all related to O2's, MAF (Mass Air Flow), leaking exhaust, vacuum leak, fuel pressure issues. So which one? Tis the fun of LR fault codes.

Now what to do about it. hmm. Always check the cheap stuff first. I would start with the air mass flow rate. Its trying to compensate for too low fuel pressure, check the fuel filter and pressure first. Then the MAF sensor. MAF's are pricey. Around $400. So change the fuel filter first.

Now I've heard the fuel filter on D1's can be a tight squeeze to get to. And if you're not careful you can torque it so much you can break the lines, that is if it's the original fuel filter. I think on a D1, the fuel filter is mounted on the frame, just in front of the right rear wheel. That awesome location leads to extensive crud build up, so be careful not to break your lines. You can probably take it to an indy LR mechanic and get it done for less than $200 parts and labor.

If you're going to do it yourself, I think they make a fuel filter wrench. I've never used one, but the perfect tool usually makes for an easier job.

You can get an LR fuel filter at: http://www.roverparts.com/ProductLis...e=20&CurPage=3

Old 01-22-2008, 08:36 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

1178 is for," Maximum Positive AMFR Correction Fault", which has always been a bit of a pain to correct.
Things I would suggest would be a new fuel filter, as already suggested, which can be bought at any auto parts store, possibily an air filter and because of your mileage a set of 4 02 sensors. Replacement od the 02's may or may not correct the problem but it will get you better performance and mileage, try Rover Connection for a good price and you will need your vin. number to verify which of 2 different 02 sets you will need.
Check for vaccum leaks and clean your t/body to make sure it is closing all the way when at idle.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:03 AM
Mudding

Ok Thank you guys very much, will start on fuel filter, then O2 Sensors, then if i have to MAF I notice on Roverparts.com it shows the genunie as 730 dollars and the non genuine is 630ish

Do I need to get the genuine or can i go wit the non genuine?

Old 01-22-2008, 09:18 AM
Mudding

New question about the fuel filter, I see 2 at auto zone, one being 5.99 an Az Filter the other is 18.99 Beck Arnley

I go with the "You get what you paid for" attadage but just wanted to see if yall have an opions about which to get, or if you suggest another store such as O'Relieys, Pep-Boys, Advance Auto Parts.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:25 AM
Mudding

Then I found these at Advance Auto
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...=4&PTSet=A

Old 01-22-2008, 10:28 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I used the Beck Arnley because that was all they had in stock. 40K and no problems.

I would wait for the MAF. I got a used one on E-bay cheap. Try the O2's first. Even if they don't fix your problem, they are due and will help restore MPG after the problem is corrected..

Old 01-22-2008, 11:03 AM
Mudding

YEah now im trying to decided between the Arnley or the AC Delco from O Relieys (The Arnley is 18 the AC Delco is 20)

Old 01-22-2008, 12:00 PM
Mudding

An old friend of mine (toyota guy) used a lot of BA's parts. He never had any issues with them and claims they are a quality product. But honestly, it's a fuel filter, so either one will do the job. Personally, I'd go with the BA part. because it's cheaper.

-W

Old 01-22-2008, 01:19 PM
Mudding

Crap I couldn't find the BA or AC Delco, the only one I could find was WIX at Carquest

Quick Reply: P1178 Code from autozone