Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint my Head liner?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 08:12 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hilltopper's write up is good but I would advise aganst 2 things, don't wire brush or sand the raw headliner board, I'm sure if you were extremly careful youcould do it but it seems it would rough things up, which you don't want to do. If you use the roller method you get more build in the paint which evens out the texture a lot. oh and 2 don't use spray cans it won't give you even coverage or any build on your paint plus you can't color match spray paint.

Old 04-17-2010, 05:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used Eds write up and it took me 2.5 hrs start to finish.It looks great no smell and no more saggy headliner.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:19 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

who's ed?

Old 04-17-2010, 08:35 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

me.... see my sig for my name.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:34 AM
3rd Gear

lol

LMAO! I hadn't realized ed was hilltopper either until he pointed it out himself! Thanks for the write-up Ed! About to do it on my P38A Rover

Old 02-11-2013, 07:39 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I did it with spray cans, and it looks fine. If you're trying to keep these looking like 40-50k vehicles, then by all means put new fabric on it. Mine will never be worth close to that again, so I painted it, and it looks much better than it did with saggy fabric. A very good fix for a 5-10k vehicle. Also, the paint smell goes away in a few days.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:04 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by tweakrover
hilltopper's write up is good but I would advise aganst 2 things, don't wire brush or sand the raw headliner board, I'm sure if you were extremly careful youcould do it but it seems it would rough things up, which you don't want to do. If you use the roller method you get more build in the paint which evens out the texture a lot. oh and 2 don't use spray cans it won't give you even coverage or any build on your paint plus you can't color match spray paint.

Originally Posted by devildog01
I used Eds write up and it took me 2.5 hrs start to finish.It looks great no smell and no more saggy headliner.

Originally Posted by tweakrover
who's ed?
Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
me.... see my sig for my name.

That's pretty funny.

Either way, I pray to the Rover Gods that my headliner won't start sagging anytime soon(at 150k and it's perfect)*knocking on wood*

Old 02-11-2013, 08:15 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

it will take you longer to pray, when the time comes just pull it and paint it. and as for the dont use a wire brush or spray cans i think if you are trying to scrape your headliner as hard as you would a grill top you will f it up. just nice and easy takes off the foam and the spray paint works great unless your a complete moron that doesn't understand how to use spray paint or you are too cheap to use more then one can.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:18 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
it will take you longer to pray, when the time comes just pull it and paint it. and as for the dont use a wire brush or spray cans i think if you are trying to scrape your headliner as hard as you would a grill top you will f it up. just nice and easy takes off the foam and the spray paint works great unless your a complete moron that doesn't understand how to use spray paint or you are too cheap to use more then one can.
Bingo! It's not rocket surgery, people.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:47 AM
Overlanding

I used the rubberized undercoating after scraping/primer. I do it to all my Discos now.

Quick Reply: Paint my Head liner?