Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Panhard Bar

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 06:53 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Panhard Bar

Hey - I put a 3" Tf lift on my truck and just heard about panhard bars - just wondering if that's something I need right away? Any way to tell? Any comments? I heard the Tf one is really good...?

The only thing I was told I needed when I got the lift was new brake lines which I did - now wondering if I need one of these too?

Thanks!

Old 05-01-2012, 09:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am adding one. My front end shifted ~.5-.75" due to the lift

Old 05-02-2012, 08:27 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

If you want to maintain your Disco's original turning radius, yes you will want to install an adjustiable pan hard.
Of more concern would be your pinion angle which should be adjusted by adding correcting bushings or new radius arms, front and rear.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:29 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
If you want to maintain your Disco's original turning radius, yes you will want to install an adjustiable pan hard.
Of more concern would be your pinion angle which should be adjusted by adding correcting bushings or new radius arms, front and rear.
After talking to Bill at RTE yesterday correcting bushings are ok for a 2" lift, assuming you can get them pressed in straight. But beyond that 3-4" lifts should use the longer and caster corrected radius arms.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:52 PM
Mudding

What do I need to do to make my 3" lift okay. I've already added new s/s brake lines - now it sounds like I need more ...? I only added the lift at your recommendation to support new bumper, winch, etc.

----------------

1. Panhard Bar

I'm sorry for my ignorance, could someone explain what the panhard bar does - people are talking about their front end shifting - what exactly do you mean? Shifting in reference to what? Disco Mike refered to turning radius effects - how so? Is this a safety concern?

I've found the recommended panhard bar - I have a 2001 Disco 2 with a 3" Tf lift - any comments?

Lucky8 Llc. - Take the road less traveled...

Can someone tell me about installation? Complexity? Time?

----------------

2. Radius Arms

Disco Mike: "...pinion angle which should be adjusted by adding correcting bushings or new radius arms, front and rear"

ebg18t: "...Bill at RTE... correcting bushings are ok for a 2" lift, assuming you can get them pressed in straight. But beyond that 3-4" lifts should use the longer and caster corrected radius arms."

So it seems I need new radius arms too? How many? Front and back? Any recommendations? Is this a safety concern? Sources?

----------------

3. ...anything else ...?

Last edited by collector87; 05-05-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:44 AM
Mudding

Hey guys - any comments here? I'm really lost. Thanks!

Originally Posted by collector87
What do I need to do to make my 3" lift okay. I've already added new s/s brake lines - now it sounds like I need more ...? I only added the lift at your recommendation to support new bumper, winch, etc.

----------------

1. Panhard Bar

I'm sorry for my ignorance, could someone explain what the panhard bar does - people are talking about their front end shifting - what exactly do you mean? Shifting in reference to what? Disco Mike refered to turning radius effects - how so? Is this a safety concern?

I've found the recommended panhard bar - I have a 2001 Disco 2 with a 3" Tf lift - any comments?

Lucky8 Llc. - Take the road less traveled...

----------------

2. Radius Arms

Disco Mike: "...pinion angle which should be adjusted by adding correcting bushings or new radius arms, front and rear"

ebg18t: "...Bill at RTE... correcting bushings are ok for a 2" lift, assuming you can get them pressed in straight. But beyond that 3-4" lifts should use the longer and caster corrected radius arms."

So it seems I need new radius arms too? How many? Front and back? Any recommendations? Is this a safety concern? Sources?

----------------

3. ...anything else ...?

Old 05-15-2012, 05:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default what do you want to hear..?

Originally Posted by collector87
Hey guys - any comments here? I'm really lost. Thanks!
I guess know one told you that when you go that extra 1 inch that it will cost you another $1,000.00 to make it work. If you think of mods for land rover just think double or triple and you wont need and defibrillator... add another $200.00 to keep the blood pressure under raps...

Chris

Old 05-16-2012, 11:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I guess you really don't need it to make it work but it is nicer to have. I would go with the Panhard bar at least because it will bring the axle back in line where it supposed to be. The other stuff is nice but will get very expensive. Your steering will feel twitchy due the caster being off but it can be lived with. Making sure the gears are getting lubed is the other reason for them but at 3" in my opinion you are fine. Hope that helps.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:57 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

it takes all of 30 mins to install the TF panhard. you should get the track rod with it and make sure justin gets you the ones with the greaseable tie rod ends. use a piece of string to mark the distance between the front of the tire match it to the back for an alignment. bobs your uncle.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:03 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
bobs your uncle.
and with a small operation he can be your aunt.

Quick Reply: Panhard Bar