Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parrot Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 07:16 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parrot Bluetooth

I had a Parrot MKi9100 installed in my 01 Disco II by BestBuy installers last week. According to the installer, he did not have to "hardwire" it into the (Blaupunkt) radio unit but used an existing jack.

The unit functions but with some shortcomings. When place or receive a telephone call and then end the call, the radio volume comes back on LOUD! According to BestBuy I should be able to control this with the various volume controls and settings. According to Parrot tech support, it should not do this is installed properly.

Obviously I am headed for a shootout at the OK corral here. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Old 05-03-2011, 09:08 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You don't mention what model Parrot.

I have on in my Porsche, and installed it as per the instructions (you cut through the front and rear speakers so it can turn off the rears and use the fronts for sounds and phone calls). It has no control over the radio whatsoever past interrupting the electrical path to the speakers, so the volume of the radio remains the same unless you change it.

You would have to be very specific about the model and exactly how it is (incorrectly) installed for me to be any more help.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:14 AM
4wd Low

Daryl, The unit is a Parrot MKi9100. It was installed by plugging the ISO connector into the vehicle's radio. That's about all I know at this point. However, I'm probably safe to assume that it is installed incorrectly?

When you are playing music through the iPod connection (cable), can you control volume, tone, etc. via the radio's controls?

Old 05-04-2011, 08:22 AM
Winching

I don't have the one that does iPod connections, just bluetooth.

But on Rovers with an ISO connection, it really ought to be that simple....plug it through the ISO connector. Sounds like they installed it properly. You had me thrown off with "used an existing jack".

You aren't understanding how it works. Of course you can't control the volume of the Parrot in a call or when it's playing an iPod/iPhone using the radio volume ****. You can turn the radio OFF and the Parrot will still work. The Parrot has electrically disconnected the speaker from the radio and is now using them. It has its OWN amplifier. That's how it works. When the Parrot isn't doing anything or its off, it reconnects the speaker wires to the radio. Simple, and requires no special interface on 99% of vehicles. That's why its done that way.

I never bothered getting the iPod/iPhone one, because they sound like crap. A 20 watt amp made for phone calls is not going to even approach the sound quality of the stock Blau in the truck.

I hope you've been civil to the installers/store. Because you just don't know how this works, and they were correct the whole time. Didn't you read the operators manual that came with it when it wasn't working as you expected? It's explains all of this.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:38 AM
4wd Low

Daryl,

I am understanding perfectly how it works. I'VE been through the the manual twice - once with the installer and once with a tech from Parrot. And, I've been quite civil to the installer.

The Parrot MKi9100 is connected using the ISO plug to a Harmon Carden system (installer had said Blaupunkt so I misspoke in my initial posting). It does not work with the radio turned off.

I have been able to determine through a conversation with a Parrot tech in the UK that the unit requires an adapter (PD000110AA) which was available from PArrot in Europe - but may no longer be around. This information is available to European installers but not US distributors. If one goes to the French support site for Parrot, the installation instructions clearly indicate this.

My sound quality is actually pretty good from the iPod (using an iPod connector and not the Bluetooth music connection). Perhaps you need to check with a qualified person if you are not happy with your sound quality.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:04 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Oldtightloops
I have been able to determine through a conversation with a Parrot tech in the UK that the unit requires an adapter (PD000110AA) which was available from PArrot in Europe - but may no longer be around. This information is available to European installers but not US distributors. If one goes to the French support site for Parrot, the installation instructions clearly indicate this.

You still don't understand how this thing was installed, because you said it was through the ISO connection. If it's plugged through the ISO connector, there is NO NEED FOR AN ADAPTER and IT CAN NOT BE AFFECTED BY THE RADIO VOLUME.

Don't expect correct advice if you're not giving correct information.

My sound quality is actually pretty good from the iPod (using an iPod connector and not the Bluetooth music connection). Perhaps you need to check with a qualified person if you are not happy with your sound quality.
If it is connected through the ISO connector and you are happy with the sound quality, that's great. But if you can't tell the difference between a 20 watt Parrot amp and the one in a Blau or HK head unit, you likely just don't care about sound quality or have a legitimate hearing problem.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:52 PM
4wd Low

I'm really not interested in continuing this exchange since I'm obviously not going to get any help here. However, for anyone finding this at a later date, here are the links to the European support site with instructions when to use a adaptor with the ISO plug and the schematic indicating appropriate placement of the adaptor. To quote the PArrot site:

"The car kit installation [2001 Land Rover Discovery II with Harmon Carden] needs an adaptor with the reference PD000110AA."

Parrot - Installation diagrams for installed Bluetooth hands free car kits

http://dbinstall.parrot.com/pdf.php?...KI9100&lang=UK

Old 05-31-2011, 01:48 PM
Overlanding

Thanks for posting this link. I too have installed the Parrot MKI 9200 in my 2003 Disco. I took the bull by the horns and decided to install the unit myself as I have not has very good results in the past from 'professional' installers.

I used the direct connection to the ISO on the rear of the Alpine head unit ( I have the 6 disc changer) and the only problem I have has is an annoying alternator whine. I know this is due to the 2 amps now in play, and I'm still working on a solution (im thinking a relay on the power to the factory amp connected to the mute out on the Parrot).

I agree that you cannot use the Parrot without the head unit switched on, but when in use, the head unit doesn't seem to control anything. The volume for the MP3 and phone calls is controlled from the Parrot remote.

Other than the whine, the sound quality is as good as hooking headphones to the Ipod. I love my disco, and this latest addition is going to only improve things. Once I manage to cure the whine, I'll try to take some pictures and give instructions for others who may be experiencing the same issue

I'm really not interested in continuing this exchange since I'm obviously not going to get any help here. However, for anyone finding this at a later date, here are the links to the European support site with instructions when to use a adaptor with the ISO plug and the schematic indicating appropriate placement of the adaptor. To quote the PArrot site:

"The car kit installation [2001 Land Rover Discovery II with Harmon Carden] needs an adaptor with the reference PD000110AA."

Parrot - Installation diagrams for installed Bluetooth hands free car kits

http://dbinstall.parrot.com/pdf.php?...KI9100&lang=UK

Old 05-31-2011, 02:06 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Andrew Davies
I agree that you cannot use the Parrot without the head unit switched on, but when in use, the head unit doesn't seem to control anything. The volume for the MP3 and phone calls is controlled from the Parrot remote.
I see why you can't use it without the head unit on now.....that model Parrot doesn't have a separate power source, and the Disco is keeping it off when the head unit it off from where they are tapping it on the IOS connector. If I were installing that in the truck, I'd be fixing the issue, as its ridiculous to have to keep your head unit on just in case you might receive a call.

But, as to what I was saying before about volume control and what amp is actually driving the speakers for phone/bluetooth usage, that diagram clearly shows what it is: the amp in the Parrot. There's no mystery there as to why that head unit doesn't control volume or anything else.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:29 PM
1st Gear

I just had an MKi9200 installed in my fiberoptic MOST system in my 2005. Very easy install into the fiber link and the music streaming and phone calls are like factory. I used the QCFiberB-MK which interestingly is the same fiber interface as for a Volvo XC90. This interface is supposed to work on Freelander 2005+, Discovery 2006+ and Range Rover 2004+ if they use the fiberotpics.

I've been streaming Pandora from my Droid wirelessly into the car and there is nothing else like it. I'm really happy with the Parrot.

Quick Reply: Parrot Bluetooth