Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger Side Window Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 11:08 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Passenger Side Window Issue

Recently, my passenger side front window stopped working. I can still hear the motor, but it no longer pushes the window up. Took door panel off, pushed glass up manually, and is braced with wood currently.

Anyone had/fixed this problem? What parts do I need to order in order to fix it?

I have the RAVE manual, but it is my first foray into repairing cars, so if I can get the parts I need, then ponder the manual once I have them, I think it will go smoother for me.

Thanks for the help,

Marni

Old 09-11-2011, 11:52 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine did this when the half moon shape gear came un riveted from window regulator. I fixed it by getting some large aluminum rivets and re attaching. Another way mine has failed is when the the gear stop wears off the gear so that it is able to extend too far, therefor coming out of contact with the teath. I fixed this also by poppping a rivet through the hole on end of gear, this acts like a stop keeping the gear from extending too far. Or you can just buy a new regulator and be done with it.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:00 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Window regulator.

You can do them at the same time you are replacing your door lock actuator (only 4 more bolts to remove, 2 more to loosen, and one electric connection to release above what you will already be doing for the lock actuators).

I think I ordered mine from Rovers North, although all of the common supply houses seem to have them. Make sure you get the regulator for the right year of your Discovery and for the correct door - they are mirror images of each other.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:04 PM
Drifting

As an aside, I've gone with the cheaper Proline (e.g. 70 bucks) vs. the OEM parts ($150+).

I haven't had mine in long enough to comment on how well they last - the originals went 8+ years, so it will be a long time before I know if they last as long. But given the price difference, I thought it was worth a try.

I did actually get one regulator with the bottom rail mounted backwards. Took me a while to figure that out (had to remove the two scissor arms, and then put them back into the bottom rail reversed of what they were). The regulators for each side look the same, but there is a notch in the gear that tells you which is which.

Old 09-11-2011, 02:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 132 Likes on 63 Posts

Here's a how-to I wrote up. It's an easy fix - just take your time and you'll be fine.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...-repair-34345/

Good luck,
RedAustinIX (Ed)

Old 09-11-2011, 03:46 PM
Mudding

Ed,

That's a huge help! I know what I'll be doing next weekend.

Thanks to everybody for all the input... there can never be too much so if anyone else has tips/advice to add, please do so.

I'll order parts tomorrow, should have everything by the weekend, then the laptop and I will be out in the garage putting everyone's help into action come Saturday morning.

I'm so glad I posted now, as I was pretty intimidated at first. Now that I have, and got such great assistance and feedback, I don't know what I was afraid of.

Money is tight right now, so I'd rather do as many repairs/replacements as possible on my own. But, now that I started getting my hands dirty, I think even when money is a little less tight, I'll continue to do as much as possible on my own. It feels pretty cool.

This past weekend I replaced the wiper motor. I had to ask my neighbor to assist with taking my hood off. I didn't realize I had to take the hood off until I had the motor in hand and blocked off Saturday to do it. Lesson learned: read first. Although had I read that, I may not have done it. I thought removing the hood would be a lot more difficult. I considered returning the motor and bringing it in to the shop when I read it - glad I forged ahead. I took it slow and read ahead a few steps at a time, and viola!

Now I know to read ahead of ordering parts to make sure it's something I can do, and ask questions here for some great input.

Now I can't wait to drop my accomplishment into conversation at work tomorrow. I'm kind of thought of as the "girly-girl" in the office....that'll show 'em!

Thanks again all, I'll keep reading your posts and learning as I go along. And putting some of that savings aside for manicures to clean up my greasy hands :-)

-Marni

Old 09-11-2011, 03:53 PM
Winching

Just did mine last weekend. Problem with these things are those plastic rollers falling apart or wearing. Mine wore flat on one side and would wedge in the regulator. This causes so much drag that it will eventually burn the clutch out in the motor. I rebuilt the regulator using the injection molded rollers one of the forum members here sells. I still needed to swap in a good motor though. I will be replacing the rollers on all of them sooner or later. I saw someone post they had found aluminum rollers that worked as a replacement. They were $$$$ though.

Old 09-11-2011, 04:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

You can get a shower roller of similar size and then sand it down to fit. It works perfectly fine and since it is a more solid replacement I doubt it breaks again.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:06 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 132 Likes on 63 Posts

Marni --

Glad you liked the write-up. Fixing the windows is one of those truly great things you can do by yourself. I believe the dealer charges around $500, so you feel really good about yourself when you finish and it works. Plus, unlike other things you'll be doing on your truck, for this one you don't have to crawl around underneath risking hot fluids dripping on you, wrestling with bolts, etc.

RedAustinIX (Ed)

Old 09-27-2011, 10:28 AM
Mudding

Okay, the regulator had not arrived the weekend I intended to do this project. Then the following weekend it was raining....so I used it as an excuse.

I'm thinking about doing it this weekend, but I only have the regulator. Should I have the rollers folks have mentioned on hand for the job? And if so, and leads where I can buy them, and what the actual name is, if not "window roller thingies"?

Thanks again all - I'll hopefully get to this - and my lock issue - soon.....

Quick Reply: Passenger Side Window Issue