Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger Turn Signal Misbehaving

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2021 | 02:25 PM
|
Three Wheeling
Default Passenger Turn Signal Misbehaving

Hey guys,

I was hoping you could help me chase down some issues with my turn signal on the passenger side. The lights are behaving like there is a bad flasher relay, but I understand these vehicles do not use a traditional flasher relay. I attempted to swap the left/right relay in the fuse box under the steering wheel, but the problem remains on the passenger side. I have ordered two new relays just for funsies, but I don't think that is the issue.

I have captured two videos of the symptoms: Exterior, Interior.

In the external video, you can see odd flashing and temporary functionality of the blinker. In the internal video, you can hear the rapid engagement of the relay. It engages for three very rapid touches, then a single touch, then nothing. I can recreate this every time.

I would appreciate any insight into tests or troubleshooting.

Thank you!

Old 11-13-2021 | 02:49 PM
Camel Trophy

Possibly a bad or failing LED in your turn signal.

Old 11-13-2021 | 02:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Failing trailer wiring converter?

Old 11-15-2021 | 04:46 AM
Winching

Remove left rear tail light & inspect wiring connections. Looking for corrosion, or water ingress. The trailer wiring comes up that left side as well. As mentioned/ check those too

Old 11-15-2021 | 06:34 AM
TReK

Trailer wiring connector is behind the right taillight assembly.

Old 11-15-2021 | 06:50 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by mollusc
Trailer wiring connector is behind the right taillight assembly.
mine is behind left tail light.

Old 11-15-2021 | 08:17 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by SundayFunday
mine is behind left tail light.
Strange. Even the D2 electrical library says that connector C1481 is behind the right-hand light.

Old 11-15-2021 | 01:26 PM
|
Three Wheeling

So, I recently swapped the bumper out and saw the trailer hitch wiring. It... was a disaster. Custom hack job. It had a single wire coming from the left side, then three wires coming from the right side. Some came from the tail light housing, some from the rear fog wiring... it was just a mess. I'm going to assume this is all bad and part (or the source) of the problem.

Is there a stock solution to this? How would I do it "right"?

Thanks,

E

Old 11-15-2021 | 02:16 PM
TReK

You can buy a harness that plugs into the wiring loom at the connector I mentioned; it looks like the location of this connector may vary with the individual truck but it has been behind the right taillight on both of mine.
If you're willing to sacrifice it all, perhaps try cutting away the hack job wiring and make sure the stock connections all work and that there's no corrosion. Once you're got everything working, just plug in a trailer harness.

Old 11-18-2021 | 07:41 PM
|
Three Wheeling

Hey Fellas,

So a quick update. I removed the right and left tail light assemblies to swap out the screws, fire in some LEDs, and generally clean as part of this process. There is no connector there anywhere! In addition, the little area where the connector should live appears to be welded up! With that in mind, I kept troubleshooting my issue. I inspected the right-front blinker and the wiring there was a DISASTER as well. I addressed all that and now that fixture seems to be working again; however, I still have the same original problem.

I disconnected the lower fog/blinker, same symptoms. I disconnected the side marker to rule it out, same symptoms. Disconnected the front blinker to rule it out, same symptoms.

So seems like the trailer hitch wiring, no surprise. So, I unsheathed the wiring that goes to the blinker and disconnected the piggyback wire, and... the problem still remains.

Will ****.

I swapped the relays again, still there. I sprayed some DeOxit on there just in case, still there...

So before I get weird, I was going to throw it back to you guys and see if there is anything else to check?

Thank you for any tips!

Quick Reply: Passenger Turn Signal Misbehaving