Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picked up a D2, and have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 12:11 PM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Picked up a D2, and have a few questions

I picked up a d2 not knowing anything about them, got it for a steal an now im in the process of fixing it.

The issues that i am having after some research are that the three amigo lights arent coming on (blown bulb) and a beeping that turns off after a mile or so, apart from that my brakes are spongy and i have an oil leak that i cant find.

this morning i had autozone pull codes and i got

p1590 (three amigos?)
p1174 o2 sensor (the exhaust was rigged, one was not welded onto the exhaust)
p0440 i haven't been able to find the charcoal canister but thats what it seems like from the searching ive done

Any help is appreciated, and if someone is local to me i would like to talk about a few things here and there. (the cooling system was re routed)

here is the start up video
Disco 2 start up - YouTube

after i get that sorted out ill get a winch bumper if i can find one that wont break the bank.

Old 12-26-2011, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Some people have reported paint over the LEDs or the LEDs being busted with pliers as reasons the 3 amigos don't come on and then go off when starting.

Spongy brakes could be just time to replace the brake fluid and bleed them well. Could also be time for new brake hoses.

You might have the "inline thermostat mod" which is kind of funny name, because the factory thermostat is inline also, but some people swear by it to lower engine temps from the factory specs.

Old 12-26-2011, 12:53 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by jafir
Some people have reported paint over the LEDs or the LEDs being busted with pliers as reasons the 3 amigos don't come on and then go off when starting.

Spongy brakes could be just time to replace the brake fluid and bleed them well. Could also be time for new brake hoses.

You might have the "inline thermostat mod" which is kind of funny name, because the factory thermostat is inline also, but some people swear by it to lower engine temps from the factory specs.
That would explain the way the cooling system is routed if that's the case!

Ill check the bulbs when i get home from work, i checked the brake fluid and its bad, they will get bled asap.

First thing i did was change the oil/filter/plugs, then i added trans fluid because the hose to the cooler backed out and dumped some. I am also going to check the trans fluid level tonight.

Old 12-26-2011, 01:50 PM
Winching

Sorry for the big pictures.

Is this the inline mod?
Name:  UWuIX.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  701.9 KB

dos this look right?
Name:  fusCB.jpg
Size:  579.4 KB

doubt its the stock radiator

Name:  qptTV.jpg
Size:  655.7 KB

looks like im missing something?
Name:  FBO72.jpg
Size:  731.1 KB

Last edited by ls1morethanyou; 12-26-2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:39 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

a steal as in free?... that thing is a disaster, i must say the frotn bumper does match the gatorade overflow catch.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Has that Disco been wrecked? There is a significant gap in your headlights to the hood.

As far as your P0440. It depends on your evap system but the charcoal canister should be attached the to cruise control bracket near your coolant reservoir.

Other evap systems have an air filter canister in the engine bay and a fuel leak detection pump located underneath the passenger rear side area on the railing of the truck, you will also see the evap canister there as well.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know what that cooling mod is. The d2 should have a plastic radiator, and they aren't even that expensive compared to a d1.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:20 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
a steal as in free?... that thing is a disaster, i must say the frotn bumper does match the gatorade overflow catch.
close to free as it could get, i did the gatorade bottle to see if it was pouring anything out

As far as the headlights go, i was handed a blue texas tittle so i couldn't tell you much, what i can see is that the headlight assembly looks like its missing a top cover?

new to the truck scene, came from a 05 GTO, blew 2 motors on nitrous and called it quits a few months ago.

second motor, blew after 5 hrs, my fault... lol i tried the kit out and threw a piston out the side of the block

current setup before it was gone

Last edited by ls1morethanyou; 12-26-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ls1morethanyou
close to free as it could get
Sounds sounds good to me. Now you can beat the crap out of it off road, and not worry about it.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:48 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by jafir
Sounds sounds good to me. Now you can beat the crap out of it off road, and not worry about it.
yup! the daily is in the garage this is mostly a toy.

i just want to get it sorted out before i go playing in the mud

Quick Reply: Picked up a D2, and have a few questions