Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

picking up my first Land Rover

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 07:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: picking up my first Land Rover

I hope you stick around. As vehicles become more complex these days, it's hard to figure out what the heck's going on. Luckily we also have forums like these to help us keep our sanity. Just be sure to share the knowledge.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:31 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'll be here as long as i got the truck...and i hope this one is the first of many. always liked them, now i can actually get one! I've been on some forums for past cars and it seems like those guys were always flaming people if the question was a "dumb" one. but from what i see so far, everyone seems to want to help you. its a nice change of pace. thanks to everyone so far!

Old 05-04-2008, 08:29 AM
Overlanding

Hi nite,

I bought a 99 with 125k for $3900 last week. The truck is a little rough though.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave, I think that if the truck really is in good a shape as you say, the pricealthough being on the high side, probably reflects what it is worth.

You are gonna need an OBD2 reader to maintain this truck, so I suggest you go and get it now and give that 99 a reading to see if it has any codes at all. Other than that, bring dirty clothes and don't be afraid to dive under the truck and check things out. Any oil leaks will show up at the bottom of the oil pan. If oil or coolant ( which will be pink)is present, it could be as simple as intake gasket, or as serious as head gaskets. But don't sweat it, although further inspection is needed, bothof these are considered normal on Discoveriesbut represent more expenses ($750.00-$2500.00)

Open the hood and check the coolant level. This could tell a tale of its own and reveal abad radiator, bad rad hoses, or both the gaskets mentioned above.

No mather how well it was maintained, chances are that you will need to spend some 2 grands in the truck within the first year. Study that paperwork that the owner has and ask about head gaskets being changed and radiator and other stuff.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:11 AM
Mudding

thanks! i'll check that all out, but won't be on the ground!! i'm lucky enough to have a friend with a lift. just take it on over and check it out there. too many years of doing this i finally learned my lesson!

Old 05-04-2008, 11:25 AM
4th Gear

I just picked up a 1996 and the diff won't shift to low. I put some pressure on it but don't want to bend if it is stuck from non use? any tricks?

Also I bought universal generic o2 sensors should I return? $25. each plus shipping

My SRS light is on??

Thanks for any help.
Steve

Old 05-04-2008, 11:28 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I also have a 99, they are a great truck.
Once you get it, let me know and you can match what has been done to it against what needs to be done on any older Disco when you buy it.

Old 05-04-2008, 12:08 PM
Mudding

thanks Mike! I'll definetly be in touch. and sorry about using Disco Dave, I couldn't resist! you are the man when it comes to the land rovers, I bow to you!

Old 05-04-2008, 12:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the first things to learn about discoveries then, is that they do not like to be lifted by any other lifts than the ramp style ones. So if your friend has a legged cross style lift, I would think twice about using that, since the only place to put the legs on the frame is in the middle where the anchor points are almost together creating a balancing act that is almost circus worthy. Too many Disco have been dropped off such lifts to even attempt it.

So if you don't want to be forced to buy a smashed Disco...Beware. But if he has a ramp style one that is perfect.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:26 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: pc jamie
Hi nite,
I bought a 99 with 125k for $3900 last week. The truck is a little rough though.
sounds like a good deal, was it a SE7? I've test drove a SD on a car lot for $3,750 with 118K miles, but I'd really like to have a SE or SE7.

Quick Reply: picking up my first Land Rover