Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pismo trip

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 10:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pismo trip

This was my first foray driving on sand. It was a pretty intense weekend with not a lot of sleep, and a lot of driving. Pismo SVRA is the only place in California where it is still legal to drive on the beach and out into the dunes. I arrived Friday afternoon setup camp and went to dinner with about 25 other people. It was dark by the time we finished eating so I got a chance to use my HID's on the way back to camp. They really do put out a lot of light over the driving beams. It was decided to take a night run on Friday, but since I had no experience with sand I rode shotgun with Joe, the trip leader. This is around 2:30am. We arrived back at camp around 3am and by 4am there were only a few of us up and we decided to get some shut eye.

Saturday morning I awoke around 8:30 to see trucks already lining up for the morning run. I quickly got dressed and jumped in RovrrFlo to meet up with the rest of the guys. After 30 minutes or so of driving around we stop at a sand bowl, and I start taking pics and videos of everyone driving around (trying to also pay attention to HOW they were driving). The lack of sleep got the best of me and I decided to go and tackle the sand bowl. Looking back it would have been much wiser to troll around in the sand for the morning and attempt what you see in the video during the afternoon run. The video does have the F word, so if you have little kids around please beware. Ooops!

After putting on my spare and one from another D2 (an 18" alloy at that) Joe and I went to a tire shop to re-mount the two tires and balance three since my spare never was.

Aftermath front
Aftermath rear
Recovery
Ready to roll

Old 08-26-2008, 11:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Pismo trip

Looks fun !!!, the cars look like radio controlled toys on the beach lol, in particular the light coloured disc 2 that had a large whip with a flag on it.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:21 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Aired down a little to much huh? That looks like fun.
There is also only one place here in MI that you can drive on the sand dunes, that is the Silver Lake sand dunes, you must have a state park permit and a reservation, if you just show up it is a 3 hour wait to get onto the dunes.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:29 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol double bead pop..how much PSI were you running in your tires? As heavy as these beasts are I don't think I'd go below 17psi.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:37 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I was running at 15 psi.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:26 AM
Team Owner

15psi and you still popped a bead? You must have hit pretty hard. But at least you had others there and you were able to get to a shop.
Still looks like lots of fun.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle

There's a phenomenon called witches eyes in the dunes where the wind blows against the face of the dune and swirls sand around in one corner on the backface. This swirling sand collects but never really compacts so it just swallowed the left side and I stopped rather abruptly. If I drove 5 feet to the right or left of the witches eyes there wouldn't have been any beads popped. Of course I learned about witches eyes the hard way. But yes it was fun and with at least 10 other LR's around I was in capable hands for the recovery.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:47 AM
Team Owner

I never knew that, good to know. We have something similar with snow drifts. Pure powder and fun to drive though.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Spike555

I never knew that, good to know. We have something similar with snow drifts. Pure powder and fun to drive though.
Oh how I wish for that amountof snow to play in !!!

Old 08-27-2008, 01:43 PM
Team Owner

Name:  DSC00274-1.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  65.9 KB

Quick Reply: Pismo trip