Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Piston Slap"

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015 | 12:09 PM
|
2nd Gear
Default "Piston Slap"

Hello there, I'm hoping to find some answers and maybe there's someone who can help. I have a '04 Disco 2, approx. 125K miles on it, just dumped $4K into rebuilding half the engine, Lifters, Rockers, Cams...here's my issue: I had this tapping noise that was getting louder, mostly right side of engine, brought it to a "reputable" mechanic, he said he would be able to make the noise quieter but not eliminate it, I was ok with that as I love the car and plan on having it for many more years (bought it new). So, I replaced everything, spend the $4K and the noise is louder, much louder. now he says he thinks it's "Piston slap" ....However, I read that if it was that I would probably see smoke coming out of exhaust and be burning oil. I have none of that, when engine is cold, at start up it sounds great, smooth and powerful, once it warms up the knocking starts...also, service light is on, Secondary Air Injector is the code.
Could that be part of the problem? Any thoughts out there to help?

Old 09-12-2015 | 12:21 PM
Three Wheeling

You 100% have a slipped piston sleeve. The SAI doesn't have anything to do with it, I would assume that's a second issue. You either need to have your engine re-sleeved or have your cylinders pinned / plug welded.

I wish I had better news for you, but lifters/rockers/cams are commonly what mechanics think the issue is and they are wrong the majority of the time. I replaced the lifters (which did nothing) before I stopped trusting non-Rover mechanics.

At least if you have the block re-sleeved or repaired in another way you'll have an engine that will last you for a long time! I got my truck fixed at 5 Corners Auto Repair in central NJ.

Old 09-12-2015 | 01:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Search for 'slipped sleeve' and settle in for the night with some prescription drugs and whiskey.

Then you have to decide what course of action you want to take.

The first course of action you have to take is get a real time temperature monitor. If your engine is regularly running hot (search for temps on here, get a feel for things.), you can potentially stop the ticking by working to run the engine cooler.

Running the engine cooler can be achieved in a number of ways.

Easiest is to swap the thermostat.

Second easiest is to run an inline thermostat.

Third, blah blah.

But find what your temps are and come back.

Oh, welcome.

Old 09-12-2015 | 02:51 PM
Three Wheeling

That's true, I never thought of that. If you make your engine temps run lower than the temp the tick starts at, you could prevent the tick from even starting

Old 09-14-2015 | 12:55 AM
Pro Wrench

I am also of the thought that your engine temperatures are too high. You need to read your engine temperatures by plugging in a OBD computer which can be purchased online or your local parts store. Be sure that you buy a version that displays real time info, like a data mode. I have a model 11 Bosch from Oreillys that works well with my 03 Disco. If your temps are over 200F then it's running too warm. If it's getting around 215-220 and the engine begins making the ticking sound then it's way too hot and you need to take immediate action. After you replace the Tstat, hoses and fan/clutch, you should be under 200F and no more engine tick

Old 09-14-2015 | 01:08 AM
Pro Wrench

You should also post the codes that you are getting so that members can give you more options to rectify the problems that you are having. You may be able to get out of this for under $200 if you do some searches and make these minor repairs and upgrades in your garage. Allowing others to do the diagnosing and repairs hasn't gotten you anywhere but overtime hours at work dumping money. Stick around and do some reading, take advice, learn about your vehicle. This website and a RAVE manual are your best friends and absolute necessity if you truly plan on driving your Disco everyday for the foreseeable future. Trust me, I know.

Old 09-14-2015 | 06:08 AM
Baja

you do not have to see smoke or oil to have piston slap, kind of common on later 4.6

Old 09-19-2015 | 11:31 AM
|
2nd Gear
Default Piston Slap

Thanks Guys...was hoping to hear some great news, but expected this. All good advice, I will swap out the thermostat to run the engine cooler, might help a bit. Really don't want to invest anymore money at this point. I have done a lot of things myself over the years, thanks to things I've learned on this forum.
So, it sounds like unless I pin the sleeves this is a death sentence for my Disco...Thanks for all the opinions.
MC

Old 09-19-2015 | 11:41 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by MC8187
.......unless I pin the sleeves this is a death sentence for my Disco...
MC
I don't think anyone said that.

What are your real time running temperatures? What codes are showing if any?

I mean, it's your vehicle, sentence it to death if you like.

It might be ticking. But it's not a bomb.

Old 09-19-2015 | 11:23 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by MC8187
Thanks Guys...was hoping to hear some great news, but expected this. All good advice, I will swap out the thermostat to run the engine cooler, might help a bit. Really don't want to invest anymore money at this point. I have done a lot of things myself over the years, thanks to things I've learned on this forum.
So, it sounds like unless I pin the sleeves this is a death sentence for my Disco...Thanks for all the opinions.
MC
Nope -- I ran my Disco about 10k miles with the piston slap before I decided to have the sleeves plug welded. It doesn't mean it's a death sentence, honestly it's very rare for an engine to break because of a slipped piston sleeve. You just would have to live with the sound.

Quick Reply: "Piston Slap"