Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plastic Plug on Top Left of Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 02:01 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plastic Plug on Top Left of Radiator

I have a 1996 Disco I with the 4.0L. I have finished that 60k maintainence thing mike posted up above.

After I got done pooring in the coolant I removed this plastic plug from the top of the radiator to burb the system with (thats what it seemed it was there for). After running the engine about 10 minutes, I put the plug back on and went about my way.

About two weeks later I was driving around town and saw the temp guage go waaay high, it never went into the red, but it was really close. I turned the heater on full blast to get me to a place I could pull over (this reduced the temps a little bit according to the guage).

I pulled over and popped the hood and could hear the system leaking at that bolt, so I grabbed a wrench and went to tighten it and the top broke off. The damn thing is hollow on the inside so half the plastic peice is still in there. I can't find this peice anywhere so I put a 3/8" bolt down in there and put two tubes of appoxy over it.

Is this a decent enough fix, will I have to buy a new radiator just to get the plastic bolt?

Thanks
Brian

Old 07-30-2009, 02:38 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to ace hardware and try to find a brass replacement

Old 07-30-2009, 02:49 PM
Winching

sounds like you have the old style upper radiator hose, that needs to get replaced.
Atlantic British sells the new style hose, it has a "T" and a Bleed Screw on top.
when you go to replace the upper hose you might want to have a replacement thermostat
ready to put in since you are gonna need to unhook the upper hose from the thermostat
have some coolant on hand, a couple gallons of aluminum safe coolant because it will drain out and be a mess, good luck , keep us posted.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:07 PM
Three Wheeling

wth, I just ordered a new top hose dangit. I doubt I can get something that big with threads that wide apart though, Ill go look later tonight

Old 07-30-2009, 03:23 PM
Three Wheeling

I cut it at the bleed and put in a brass pipe until the new one arrived.
Think was 3/4" OD.

Old 07-30-2009, 04:14 PM
Three Wheeling

I think I may have confused some of you. Im talking about a plastic bolt on the left side of the radiator right by the battery. My upper hose on is on the right side of the radiator.

Old 07-30-2009, 04:22 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

These guys are thinking that you have a DII, you have a DI, TOTALLY different animal.
You dont need to buy a whole new radiator.
Just buy a new plug.
www.atlanticbritish.com will sell them as well as your dealer and like it is suggested just go to the hardware store and buy a brass plug to screw in there.
You may want to use some teflon tape on the threads but that is up to you.

Read my sticky on how to bleed a cooling system, read the replys too as I cover a DI also.

Old 07-30-2009, 04:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JBEGIN
sounds like you have the old style upper radiator hose, that needs to get replaced.
Atlantic British sells the new style hose, it has a "T" and a Bleed Screw on top.
when you go to replace the upper hose you might want to have a replacement thermostat
ready to put in since you are gonna need to unhook the upper hose from the thermostat
have some coolant on hand, a couple gallons of aluminum safe coolant because it will drain out and be a mess, good luck , keep us posted.

D1's dont have a bleed fitting in the upper hose like a D2. Shame, cause I think the plastic plugs on the radiator must be one time use.

Old 07-30-2009, 04:23 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by tunernewb92
I think I may have confused some of you. Im talking about a plastic bolt on the left side of the radiator right by the battery. My upper hose on is on the right side of the radiator.
Only Disco II's have a bleed screw on the top hose.

roverparts.com sell the plastic plug.

edit: My link takes you to the plug

Old 07-30-2009, 05:44 PM
Mudding

Someone at one time made a brass one but I can not find it.
So I keep a extra plastic plug on hand.
Along with the spare fuel pump , brake switch, water pump ,,,,,, well you get the idea thats why I have a off-road trailer.

If anyone knows where to get the brass one let us know !!

Quick Reply: Plastic Plug on Top Left of Radiator