Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plastic Plug on Top Left of Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 09:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

since it is hollow, i would probably epoxy something like an old socket that fit pretty snug, and pour some right in the center too. let it kick and use a socket wrench to twist off. you will definitely be able to find a metal replacement in a hardware store. I would use blue locktite (242 threadlocker i think) to seal. it will come back out and no pieces of anything would fall into the radiator.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:02 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by tunernewb92
I have a 1996 Disco I with the 4.0L. I have finished that 60k maintainence thing mike posted up above.

After I got done pooring in the coolant I removed this plastic plug from the top of the radiator to burb the system with (thats what it seemed it was there for). After running the engine about 10 minutes, I put the plug back on and went about my way.

About two weeks later I was driving around town and saw the temp guage go waaay high, it never went into the red, but it was really close. I turned the heater on full blast to get me to a place I could pull over (this reduced the temps a little bit according to the guage).

I pulled over and popped the hood and could hear the system leaking at that bolt, so I grabbed a wrench and went to tighten it and the top broke off. The damn thing is hollow on the inside so half the plastic peice is still in there. I can't find this peice anywhere so I put a 3/8" bolt down in there and put two tubes of appoxy over it.

Is this a decent enough fix, will I have to buy a new radiator just to get the plastic bolt?

Thanks
Brian
First, you didn't bleed it properly, you fill and bleed it with the engine off to get all the air out, you have the fluid up to the coolant cap and then you recheck it every other day or so, in the morning, when cold.
As for the plug, Expedition Exchange and some other Rover sites sell the Brass replacement plug with an o-ring.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:44 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
First, you didn't bleed it properly, you fill and bleed it with the engine off to get all the air out, you have the fluid up to the coolant cap and then you recheck it every other day or so, in the morning, when cold.
As for the plug, Expedition Exchange and some other Rover sites sell the Brass replacement plug with an o-ring.
This is wrong, you MUST run the engine with the radiator cap off and heater on full hot to circulate coolant through the entire cooling system so that it can push out any air bubbles.
The air bubbles will then come out of the open radiator cap.
Then repalce the cap while the engine is still running.
After it has cooled overnight check it and make sure it is full.
Do this for 2 days or until you are confident that it is full.
Since you have a aftermarket expansion tank fill it half way to 3/4 full.