Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help 99 Landrover Discovery 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007 | 12:27 AM
|
2nd Gear
Default Please Help 99 Landrover Discovery 2

I have a 1999 Landrover Discovery 2 The ABS Traction Control Light and the Uphill Descent Light stays on it never goes out the vehicle runs great. How can I turn these lights off they are anoying especially at night.

Thanks All Help Is Appreciated

Old 07-14-2007 | 10:22 AM
Administrator
Default RE: Please Help 99 Landrover Discovery 2

You need to take it to a small Rover shop that can read the ABS fault codes, get all the code numbers and get back to us. As for turning off the warning lights, only a shop with the correct scanner can do that.
Mike

Old 07-14-2007 | 01:09 PM
Overlanding

Here we go again!! That's what we "love" to call the 3 Amigos... Every Rover forum I've researched has referred to this problem amongthe Discoverys.
I wrote earlier that a quick 'fix' (but it's not afix at all...just a way to temporarily turn the lights off) is to disconnect your battery for an hour or so. Remember that w/these lights on, the ABS & Traction Control & Downhill Descent features may or may not actually not be operational (I've read sometimes yes, sometimes no. I'd go safe & not take it out in the stix and find yourself buried in muck until you (we) find a resolution.)
I'd love to read as much info as is out there on this problem. It seems so prevalent that I can't understand that Land Rover North America hasn't seen fit to helpus all out. (That and the leaking sunroofs!)
By the way, Mike-Moderator, I received my Innova 3100 Code reader today! I'm going to actually read the manual and stuff 1st, then I'll let you know what my codes are! I'm not trying to advertise this unit but it seems to fit the bill. I'll be able to print reports, get specific definitions of codes,and, best of all--in my instance, anyhow--clear the vehicle's system codes so I can "start fresh". I'll write it up in a week or two. I got it through Amazon for $95 & it at least LOOKS cool...
Kevin
Rural Arkansas

Old 07-14-2007 | 07:33 PM
Administrator

And again I will tell you, you can't clear ABS codes by disconnecting the battery, no if nd's or buts.
MIKE

Old 07-14-2007 | 11:59 PM
Overlanding

Okay, I obviously need to reiterate. Ihave NOTnow & have NEVER stated that by disconnecting the batttery one can CLEAR error codes. I think that I have clearlyinformed our forum readers, if the readers will pay closer attention, that this is NOT a fix, but merely a band-aid. By disconnecting a battery for an hour or so, one (meaning success on my part) can usually extinguish these warning lights series long enough to give the vehicle system the opportunity to reissue, if necessary, thiswarning lights event. Disconnecting the batterygenerallyextinguishes the warning light series so thatthe "victim" (you!) gets the chance to see if the error code(s) or warning lights do &/or will reappear. If they DO reappear, then it is time to truly follow up on that specific indicatedproblem. I think that I write pretty consisely & clearly (except for my horrible spelling & grammar) so Ihope that I have not issued statements that have confused any reader. PLEASE read my comments, & suggestions if offered, carefully. I apologize if I seem to come off as a genius on Land Rover Technology. I'm a recent owner of a used and problem-laden '99 Disco II& I only mean to offer suggestions, opinions, compassion,and some humor in my missives. I, too, am looking for solutions. So, please, Mike-Moderator, do not bark back at me as if I have promised that a battery disconnect is the cure-all and end-all for the "3 Amigos" or any other warning light indication. Read my entries again;I've always stated that a battery disconnect is merely an opportunity to see if the indication of a problem is presented once again.

Old 07-15-2007 | 09:28 AM
Administrator

Kevin,
Thanks for the e-mail.
Mike

Old 07-15-2007 | 10:14 AM
Three Wheeling

Hi Guys,
We've got an '04 Discovery II & off and on the 'trio' has come on but when the ignition is shut off & then started back up they go away. They'll come back @ random times, say once every few months. I've got new brakes in the back & 75% left on the front so I don't think that's got something to do with it. The LR dealer has already replaced a part to fix it once so I guess the real question here is what is causing that? Guess it's time for me to read up on the subject for sure!

Best of luck & hope you get it fixed, if I find out something helpful I'll be sure to post...

Regards,
Walter

Old 07-15-2007 | 03:30 PM
Camel Trophy

ORIGINAL: OlDood

Okay, I obviously need to reiterate. Ihave NOTnow & have NEVER stated that by disconnecting the batttery one can CLEAR error codes. I think that I have clearlyinformed our forum readers, if the readers will pay closer attention, that this is NOT a fix, but merely a band-aid. By disconnecting a battery for an hour or so, one (meaning success on my part) can usually extinguish these warning lights series long enough to give the vehicle system the opportunity to reissue, if necessary, thiswarning lights event. Disconnecting the batterygenerallyextinguishes the warning light series so thatthe "victim" (you!) gets the chance to see if the error code(s) or warning lights do &/or will reappear. If they DO reappear, then it is time to truly follow up on that specific indicatedproblem. I think that I write pretty consisely & clearly (except for my horrible spelling & grammar) so Ihope that I have not issued statements that have confused any reader. PLEASE read my comments, & suggestions if offered, carefully. I apologize if I seem to come off as a genius on Land Rover Technology. I'm a recent owner of a used and problem-laden '99 Disco II& I only mean to offer suggestions, opinions, compassion,and some humor in my missives. I, too, am looking for solutions. So, please, Mike-Moderator, do not bark back at me as if I have promised that a battery disconnect is the cure-all and end-all for the "3 Amigos" or any other warning light indication. Read my entries again;I've always stated that a battery disconnect is merely an opportunity to see if the indication of a problem is presented once again.
I don't think Mike was trying to bark at you, it's just that your ECU has to re-learn your driving habits. You will get badmileage and performance.Going to a parts store and renting a reader to find out and clear your codes is the best way to find anything.

Old 07-15-2007 | 09:39 PM
Overlanding

How DARE you question my impeccable driving habits!! Why I hardly ever bash through muddy corners at speeds considered suicidal, or crest a hill at a rate that may or may not get "air" (it depends upon whether the witness(es) have his/her/their eyes open) ...okay, maybe once....and if I did, it was probably just an oversight on my part. Or perhaps my Disco was malfunctioning and the speedometer indicated 15mph when I may (or may NOT) have been closer to 65.
I was not aware that the ECU actually "tracks" new driving habits after clrearing. Holy, Sheeyite,Ihope the ECU doesn't communicate to the Arkansas State Troopers' Office or I'll soon be writing to the Schwinn Forums! That is an interesting concept. As I mentioned earlier, I have just received a code reader that has the functon included that will reset my system codes to "Virgin". I'll suffer through bad mileage and performance for a while for it to determine my habits. All (or at least some) kidding aside, most of my driving, probably like yours, consists of paved roads. I live in the Ozark Mtn Foothills of NE Arkansas and roads here are mainly narrow two-lane and twisty. Plus, (WooHoo!!) there are a lot of dirt back roads and paths that are begging for me to explore. I have, unfortunately, a severe case of 3 Amigos that I would like to resolve before I get too far off-road. I tried jamming the brakes on one time when the amigos were lit & sure enough, the wheels just locked. There was no pulsating ABS function apparent. I do not want to try the difficult stuff without fixing that problem.

Old 07-16-2007 | 01:57 PM
Camel Trophy

The ABS codes have to be read by an Autologic scanner or testbook at the dealer. I doubt you will be able to get the codes out with a store bought reader... different system. If you do, let me know what scanner you got. I have heard of people having the codes re-set and the 3 amigos going away, never to return. Some have to go frequently. May be something as simple as brake squeal setting them off, to a bad shuttle valve.

Out of curiosity, are you saying that disconnecting your battery cleared your ABS fault? Never heard of that, if so..

Good Luck.

Quick Reply: Please Help 99 Landrover Discovery 2