Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help 99 Landrover Discovery 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007 | 06:18 PM
Overlanding
Default RE: Please Help 99 Landrover Discovery 2

Okay, I swear that this is the last timeI am going to try to explain whatI meant: disconnecting the battery will NOT CLEARfault(s) within your systems. What disconnecting the battery does, AT LEAST FOR ME, is to extinguish the 3 Amigo lights (which in turn re-enables the ABS braking system) until, of course, they decide to dingdingding back intomy life. I never, never, never meant to imply that faults, codes, bad breath, ex-wives, or chips in your windshieldwill disappear forever when the battery is disconnected. What it seems to accomplish is a just temporary but at least an extendedlights-out situation.
Last Sunday afternoon, my 3 Amigos were on so I did a little test.At 35 mph on our gravel/dirt road,I jammed the brakes on. My wheels locked and I got a bit sideways. An hour later, after having disconnected & reconnected the battery, my 3 Amigos were off and the brakes brought me to a perfect, pedal-pulsating, safe stop w/out lock up ofany wheels in about 60% of the distance of the previous test. This morning at 11am, I jumped into my Disco and started it up. 10 seconds later...without having touched the gear selector, releasing the emergency, or in any other way, except perhaps the movement of my weight in the driver's seat (I'm 6' @ 220 lbs.), the damned lights dinged on. If I turn the ignitionoff and on for fewer than 5 minutes, the lights don't extinguish. Usually, I turn the vehicle off, return to the refrigerator, curse, open a beer, consume said beer, brush my teeth (again) and retry the truck. If it's been 15-45 minutes, maybe they may or may not re-illuminate. If I've waited an hour or longer thanthey do not reappear. But the battery disconnect seems to work for a longer lights-off event than the pause between ignition key attempts.
Sorry for the length but I'm just trying to explain my successes & failures in my various experiments with the 3 Amigos. One more time & repeat after me. "Disconnecting the battery will NOT CLEAR codes from your systems' computers." It is just a band aid that, for me,turns the 3 Amigo lights off usually for a longer stretch of time before they reappear. I'm finally going to spend some quality time tomorrow or Wednesday with my '99 Disco IIon jacks and w/the wheels off...and maybe a hammer...and my new code reader.

Old 07-18-2007 | 08:37 AM
Overlanding

Hey guys/ladies, I just took my Discovery II 2000 to my local dealer (7-17-07) and here are the codesI was given formy ABS, TC, and Down Hill lights. Front Left Speed Sensor (TAY100060), and Shuttle valve switch electrical failure (ABS modulator SRB101201).I was give a quote for $3,718.55with labor. I believe this is just too much for me and would like to ask you all if there is an alternative to replacing my ABS Modulator?Also, where could I purchase these parts at a cheaper price? Thank you and hope this helps any of you with the same problems.

Fabian
Brownsville, Texas
P.S.
We don't have any hills but we have South Padre Island!

Old 07-18-2007 | 08:49 AM
Administrator

Fabian,
That is the common Rover response at the dealers. Do you still feel the ABS shutter thru the brake pedal if you do a hard stop on a loose surface. if so, the control module is fine.
I would suggest you go by a small shop that can read the ABS codes, have them read then clear the codes and drive it for a day, chance are pretty good that the lights won't come back on.
How many miles on your truck, how often do you flush your brake fluid?
Mike

Old 07-18-2007 | 09:08 AM
Overlanding

I just got my truck2 months or so and has 130k miles on it. I am thinking of replacing the front speed sensor and buying the suttle valve repair kit for it. I do believe there is something wrong with the ABS module becauseI can actually hear a weird noise comming from the module even when the vehicle is turned off.
Fabian
P.S.
Thank you for your super fast response!!!

Old 07-18-2007 | 09:40 AM
Administrator

I have heard of some people replacing the shuttle valve themselves, it is not supposed to be real hard, just takes some time to do. Make sure you do a full fluid flush at the same time or before because burned brake fluid will play fits on the control unit.
Let us know how it turns out, also if it turns out you have a bad control unit there are always good guaranteed ones out there,
http://www.roverlandparts.com/index....S&Category=121
Mike

Old 07-18-2007 | 09:49 AM
Overlanding

Thanks a million for all your info. I will not be able to buy any parts till next week as I am broke! I will let you all know about this as I know this is a common problem.

Sincerely,
Fabian

Old 07-18-2007 | 11:16 AM
Camel Trophy

before you spend the $$, have you had your codes read and reset? Might just be a dirty sensor, or a brake squeal that set it off. Like Mike said, it may never come back....

Old 07-18-2007 | 12:15 PM
Overlanding

When I bought the vechicle the previous owner had to re-set the computer, I believe this iswhy when I test drove it I did not noticed any lights on.Now that my wife drives this vehicle I do not wish to have her on an accident just because I am cheap. Believe me, I am always quite cheap when it comes to saving money but she will be taking our new born to day care on a daily basis and must take care of them as much as I can. Once again thank you all for your great help on this and will continue to post as these parts are changed.

Fabian
"On the border by the Sea"

Old 07-18-2007 | 12:20 PM
Camel Trophy

I know what you mean on safety. My Rover needs parts, but my wife's caddy does not do without anything. That's why I don't let her drive it.

I was just saying that from what I hear, the three amigo's can be set off by something not really being wrong with the system and the dealer usually tries to replace parts. Having them re-set might cure the problem.....I understand you not wanting to chance it...

Good Luck with everything!

Jason

Old 07-18-2007 | 08:24 PM
Overlanding

Thanks once again for all the info. I am quite new with these vehicles but know that they can allow you to have lots of fun. I been going online and finding a fewof people doing this,is there any place you recommend for this? I have checked a few on Youtube but not sure of any other spot. Thanks once again and if you have any pictures of your vehicle please post them and if you can please let me know how to do this here.Take care!

Your Pal,

Fabian S.
: - )

Quick Reply: Please Help 99 Landrover Discovery 2